FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the FNP line have any type of drop safety if I were to chamber a round and decock the hammer? I am just curious since I have dropped my other firearms on concrete before. I don't want to get one and have an accidental discharge. If not, I could just not keep a round chambered.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I agree with Shipwreck, but cannot seem to find any information on this particular subject. I checked FNHUSA.com and read all the reviews I could find, but no luck.

If anyone has any sources where this info. could be viewed, please post it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The FNP has a passive firing pin safety. Field strip the gun and look at the underside of the slide. The silver button at the back is the firing pin safety. When the trigger is forward, the firing pin safety physically blocks the firing pin from moving forward. When the trigger is pulled, the trigger lever depresses the silver button, which positions a groove in the safety to allow a channel for the firing pin to move forward when the hammer strikes it. When the trigger is released, the safety springs back and blocks the firing pin again.

Most modern handguns have a passive firing pin or striker safety. 1911's typically don't.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I apparently forgot to subscribe to the thread, good thing I checked back.

I was thinking in bed after I posted that dropping it probably wouldn't be a problem with the hammer decocked anyway since it requires the trigger to be pulled to pull it back and release it.
I hope I can get some cash soon to get an FNP of some caliber.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The danger in dropping a firearm is that if it lands on the muzzle, inertia could keep the firing pin moving forward with enough force to overcome the firing pin spring and strike and ignite the primer. The passive firing pin safety prevents that from happening. Another safety feature appears to be that the hammer is held off of the firing pin by the sear when the hammer is decocked. The trigger has to be pulled to lower the sear and allow the hammer to hit the firing pin.

Bottom line is that the FNP and other modern firearms have built in passive safeties that prevent the gun from discharging unless the trigger is pulled. Remember, a basic rule of gun safety is to never rely on mechanical safeties. Any mechanical device can fail, so the best safety is not the one on your gun, but the one between your ears.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts