FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what in the entire universe can be done to a $500-600 Glock to make it suddenly worth $3,500.....

Salient Arms International Glock 22 Tier 1 : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

If this Glock doesn't shoot sub MOA groups at 1000yds while blindfolded upside down after being spun 50 times, and that barrel isn't made out of god damn pure gold, I can't see what could be done to make it worth so much.

Does any one have any SAI experience, or knowledge as to what could possibly be put into a Glock to kick the price up 3 grand...

Reactions: Macprowler

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Reminds me of those "Border Patrol Special Edition" SCAR's that was on gunbroker. :-D

What's that saying about a fool and his money.

There is no way in hell I'd be caught dead with that glock, I'm a Glock Armorer and I'd have nothing to do with that thing personally and know of nothing that would make that worth his asking price but I guess anyone can ask whatever they want.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's crazy is every Salient Arms Glock I've found is in the same price range, and some even more, and apparently they are used heavily with comp shooters.

From just a logical perspective nothing in my mind could make that price jump so drastic. It says in the description that the slide, trigger, and barrel are what's upgraded (well, important stuff that is. I doubt a magwell adds a large $ to it, and the night sights I assume are a few hundred) and even then that would basically mean each one of those parts are $1000.00.

Absolutely ridiculous..

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
So it's a "Race Gun" Glock.

I can't do it, not for that money in a Glock.

*Opened up myself for and bracing for the Hate from Glock lovers :-D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol right?! I mean, if I ever become rich, or one day lose my mind and decide to drop 3+ thousand on a handgun, my first idea definitely wouldn't be to purchase a custom Glock with that money..
And I love Glocks..

Reactions: Talhoffer

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
I remember seeing a Glockworx custom G17 in my LGS priced at $2500. I choked pretty good on that one. At least it had a RMR mounted on it for that price.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
I remember seeing a Glockworx custom G17 in my LGS priced at $2500. I choked pretty good on that one. At least it had a RMR mounted on it for that price.
Inflation................... less for more now. :-D

Reactions: 17heavy

·
Registered
510 Posts
Reminds me of those "Border Patrol Special Edition" SCAR's that was on gunbroker. :-D

What's that saying about a fool and his money.

There is no way in hell I'd be caught dead with that glock, I'm a Glock Armorer and I'd have nothing to do with that thing personally and know of nothing that would make that worth his asking price but I guess anyone can ask whatever they want.
Let me lay it out for you.

The .00000001% of firearm owners that are top-level shooters can just eek out the advantageous that one of those work-overs provide.

The other 99% of firearm owners will just be purchasing aesthetics.

You can easily tune your ammunition load and springs to work efficiently in most firearms. This benefit supersedes any tiny advantage the work-overs provide, in 99% of the firearm owners out there.

The end.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Let me lay it out for you.

The .00000001% of firearm owners that are top-level shooters can just eek out the advantageous that one of those work-overs provide.

The other 99% of firearm owners will just be purchasing aesthetics.

You can easily tune your ammunition load and springs to work efficiently in most firearms. This benefit supersedes any tiny advantage the work-overs provide, in 99% of the firearm owners out there.

The end.
YUP what he said, SAI makes great stuff, they make stuff lighter, faster, sexier to some. Don't judge, you never know where you might find yourself. Guess what SAI does not really do a whole bunch of advertising either, its usually WOM that gets their stuff sold. Take a look at their website. Its basically a placeholder has been for awhile. If I had the coin. I'd jump.

cheers.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Salient Arms International Glock's are so over priced it makes me sick. Then again I have to give the company a hand for creating a product that idiots will buy. I kinda feel for all the people who purchase one when they could have bought a custom all metal 1911.

two.jpg

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Me personally, would go for a Nighthawk or Wilson custom if I ever planned to drop 3000+ on a pistol.

I have no doubt SAI is a great company, I've looked at their stuff for a long time, never saw the prices though, and still just couldn't see what makes them so special. Do the slides look cool? Absolutely, but Zev Industries makes some pretty badass looking slides as well for half the price. Not a huge fan of the gold barrels, they look cool, but I mean if thats someones cup of tea then good on them lol. I just dont see how they could make a Glock so much.

I understand the lighter, quicker, sexier, but at that price point, an upgrades, its almost like they've made an entirely new pistol so why even have the Glock label on it all? May as well produce their own pistol.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Me personally, would go for a Nighthawk or Wilson custom if I ever planned to drop 3000+ on a pistol.

I have no doubt SAI is a great company, I've looked at their stuff for a long time, never saw the prices though, and still just couldn't see what makes them so special. Do the slides look cool? Absolutely, but Zev Industries makes some pretty badass looking slides as well for half the price. Not a huge fan of the gold barrels, they look cool, but I mean if thats someones cup of tea then good on them lol. I just dont see how they could make a Glock so much.

I understand the lighter, quicker, sexier, but at that price point, an upgrades, its almost like they've made an entirely new pistol so why even have the Glock label on it all? May as well produce their own pistol.
Nice choice! Nighthawk vs Willson Custom would be like choosing your favorite child. Tough choice.....Good thing I'm don't have the kind of money to spend 3000+ on a pistol.

·
Registered
478 Posts
That GB price is more inflated than what you would spend going directly to Salient be depending on the Tier you chose it's still like pricey... Someone needs to help them out an buy a few of their gun... I heard they are charging extra so one of these days they can afford to have someone build them a functioning website... They even have all you 1911 lovers taken care of...

20150109_0ab7d6[1].jpg

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As I said in my last post I'm not a fan really of the gold barrel, but that's a pretty mean looking 1911..

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yes I'd also go with the Wilson or two Les Baers myself. There's no way I'd buck up that kind of money for a plastic pistol unless it had 5lbs of pure gold attached to it that I could melt down. :mrgreen: I think some people just have more money than brains some time.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
GB way over priced as stated above - that's because A. most folks don't like the wait times to get their pistol in for work B. there are other companies out there C. most folks don't realize you can race up your Glock because they are very easy to work on (ok I my self will not do a stiple job and will gladly send it out for custom frame work which is around 165)
(and since I don't have a machine shop - send it out to get the slide milled).

1911 IMO is no different - don't knock either guy that will drop 3k on a Glock or a 1911 - but you want to do it yourself - take Larry Vickers 1911 class.... you will be amazed and how you can tune a 1911. And that's where the price comes in - you are paying for solid knowledge of a well/fined tuned fire arm... tight tolerances etc... you get all that and don't have to do the work yourself. Besides - most of those guys will never put a 3k gun thru its paces - it will be a safe queen / bragging rights .... you know the guy; buys a SCAR but it better not have 1 blemish on it - will dress it up - but may fire a few rounds thru it - never remove the sticker .... cause they will sell it at some insane secondary market price (then piss and moan it did not increase in value because of how pristine of a weapon it is) blah blah blah

Buy what you like - spend what you want and enjoy it

Building your own under the watchful eye of a master craftsman - priceless!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have a highly customized Glock 22. I bought it with slide cuts, chromed slide, Grip reduction, stipple job,and a titanium nitride coated barrel for $1000, and that was probably a little high. I definitely like the stipple job, but the items that made the most difference were the Pyramid trigger and speed sights I did myself. So all in maybe $1400. It was fun to do, and made a Glock interesting. I just don't think there is that much you can do with a polymer frame gun. I also have a Wilson supergrade, which I also bought used. I think I paid $2300. The time an effort spent to produce a beautiful, tight, accurate, reliable piece was definitely worth it in my opinion.

But, If you want to spend some money for an amazing range gun, there is a lot of value in the German Mastershop Sig's

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I'm going to do grip reduction, slide cuts, and a stiffer spring for my Glock 35. A heavier spring is definitely in order. Mulling over which sights I'll get. But I think it'll be worth it. The pistol is just too nice to get rid of, and with these upgrades will really let me enjoy it more....comfort and felt recoil.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Implied, but not stated outright in my previous post, I think these heavily customized guns are range guns only. The modifications can improve performance, but sometimes reduce durability. That and any gun I carry regularly is going to get thrashed. But, range time is fun time, and that is where I get to enjoy high performance pistols.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts