FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is my SAN SWISS 553 SBR and is 100% 922r compliant. I replaced the lower with a Genuine SanSwiss 553 US lower. Replaced the trigger, cocking handle, and grip with my sig 556 classic as a donor, hammer and sear are factory swiss (you can tell the difference in the trigger as there are no welds on the top of the trigger). And yes a factory 4 position gas valve, the only issue is the gas tube does not clear the flash hider but the valve removes fine, I can always remove the flash hider if needed to clean.

As for the 556 pistol I have a form 1 in for sbr to use the 553 original lower on it and still 922r compliant. Just wish sig sold replacement parts as I had to buy another rifle as a parts donor. Saker556 suppressor should be here in another month:icon_e_biggrin:
. The sight mounted is a aimpoint micro T2.

US Parts

1. Sig Sauer Pistol grip
2. Sig Sauer Straight cocking handle (might be considered operating rod, replaced hammer as 7th part to be safe)
3. Sig Sauer Trigger from sig 556 pistol
4. Mag body
5. Mag floor plate
6. Mag follower
7. Silencer Co Trifecta flash hider
8. Sig Sauer 556 Hammer

Firearm Gun Trigger Rifle Assault rifle

Firearm Gun Trigger Airsoft gun Airsoft

Gun Airsoft gun Airsoft Revolver Trigger

Light Revolver Technology Photography Automotive lighting

Attachments

·
Registered
498 Posts
Awesome! That is a fine Swiss timepiece you have there, no doubt it was a high dollar build to do it right. I bet it shoots like a dream, I had a Sig 556 for many years and it was a very smooth shooter. I sold it to make way for another rifle and many times wish I had kept it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi, looks great!

i find it ironic though. For us in Switzerland sig 55X are almost boring. Our market is flooded with SIGs, AUGs and kalashnikovs.. On the other hand getting our hands on a cool AR or similar (eg Scar) is hard and super expensive.

My Scar 223 SBR as I run it now cost me roughly 8K! Would have paid less than half for a good 553, or even less for the new 553R (which i heard kicks ass - will prob. Buy later on).

Seems like no gun market is perfect after all ;-)

have fun with the 553! The most striking thing about our rifles is the stock trigger. Never shot anything mil-spec that's so precise and crisp. Hope you got that as well in your built!

·
Registered
22,118 Posts
Nice!!!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
US Parts

1. Sig Sauer Pistol grip (will be replaced with a Manticore grip when I get a longer grip screw soon)
2. Sig Sauer Straight cocking handle
3. Sig Sauer Trigger from sig 556 pistol
4. Mag body
5. Mag floor plate
6. Mag follower
7. Silencer Co Trifecta flash hider
That's a real beauty! Excellent job.

Charging handles don't count toward 922r compliance, but it appears you have enough U.S. parts without it; as long as you don't have any imported magazines in your possession if you get checked.

The following is a list of those parts, also referred to as complaint parts.

• Barrel
  • Receiver
  • Front and Rear Trunions (applies to stamped receivers only)
  • Bolt Carrier
  • Bolt
  • Gas Piston
  • Buttstock
  • Pistol Grip
  • Upper and Lower Handguards (both count as one part)
  • Muzzle Device
  • Hammer
  • Trigger
  • Disconnector
  • Magazine Body
  • Magazine Follower
  • Magazine Floorplate
You may choose replacement parts from the list, as desired. A maximum of 10 imported parts from this list may be used

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you. This website did list a 17th part the op rod (same as the HK91) as a countable part. Section 922(r) Parts Count

AK47/74FN/FALUZI"Czech" VZ58"Yugo" M56Suomi M31Beretta 38AH&K G3Star Z45Sig 550/1/2/etc.DP28Galil
1Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forging or stampingsyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes
2Barrelsyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes
3Barrel extensionsn/an/an/an/an/ayesn/an/an/an/an/an/a
4Mounting blocks (trunions)yesn/ayesn/ayesyesn/ayesyesn/an/an/a
5Muzzle attachmentsyesyesn/ayesn/ayesyesyesyesyesyesyes
6Boltsyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes
7Bolt carriersyesyesn/ayesn/an/an/ayesn/ayesyesyes
8Operating rodsn/ayesyesn/an/an/an/ayesn/ayesn/an/a
9Gas pistonsyesyesn/ayesn/an/an/an/an/ayesyesyes
10Trigger housingsn/ayesyesn/ayes[SUP]2[/SUP]yesyesyes[SUP]5[/SUP]yesyesyesn/a
11Triggersyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes
12Hammersyesyesn/ayesn/ayesyesyesn/ayesyesyes
13Searsyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesn/ayesn/a
14Disconnectorsn/an/ayesyesyesyesyesn/ayesyesyesyes
15Buttstocksyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes
16Pistol gripsyesyesn/ayesyes[SUP]2[/SUP]n/an/ayesyes[SUP]4[/SUP]yesn/ayes
17Forearms, handguardsyesyesyesyes[SUP]1[/SUP]yes[SUP]2[/SUP]n/ayes[SUP]3[/SUP]yesn/a[SUP]4[/SUP]yesn/ayes
18Magazine bodiesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes
19Magazine Followersyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes
20Magazine Floorplatesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesn/ayes
Applicable parts count:16171416121514171417141515

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, Plus the operating rod and gas piston are the same unit on the 550 line. The math always gets fuzzy somehow!
Makes sense but like the AK47 with that statement then it would only count as 1 part as the piston is one piece so then your count would be correct with 6 parts but if they count the handle like the hk91 it would be 7. I needed a straight handle for my sights anyway. But I am no expert since you may know a little more then me do you feel I am safe with my current configuration\count? Thank you.

Screw Auto part

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Makes sense but like the AK47 with that statement then it would only count as 1 part as the piston is one piece so then your count would be correct with 6 parts but if they count the handle like the hk91 it would be 7. I needed a straight handle for my sights anyway. But I am no expert since you may know a little more then me do you feel I am safe with my current configuration\count? Thank you.

View attachment 38130
Looks like your setup is right at the allotted 10 imported part limit. So, your good to go.:?

·
Registered
600 Posts
You've got some fine weapons there Congrats, I used to have a 551 west coast armory rifle a few years back that has a few swiss parts on it. I still have my early all green stocked 556 though and always thought about upgrading it but never got around to it. Thanks for the pics and info.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Damn makes me want to go and grab a green flat top 553 with adjustable stock...... that could easily be the most compact 556 in my closet i think.
If you do, John Doe Investigations in TX imports all the current SAN Swiss stuff so you can order the same US lower also. I think they are running around $975

1 - 20 of 20 Posts