FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently stationed in Okinawa, and have been wanting to sbr my ps90 for a while now, and after seeing Thermallator's rail mod and learning that it's feasible, I've decided to go forward with the project. A couple of problems though, I'm in japan, so my guns are stored at my parents house (my home of record). I know that leaving NFA weapons with someone who's name is not on the tax stamp is illegal, but does anyone know if it being my home of record makes a difference? I'm not trying to get my dad locked up. Mainly, I want to get all the paperwork filed and ready, so that when I'm home on leave next I can do the mods all at once. Normally I would just wait until I;m stationed stateside again, but given the political climate, I would like to do this in time for it to be grandfathered in. Thanks for you help.

Oh, and on the form 1 for overall length, it says not to guess, so should i leave it blank?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
right, well i guess i'll be calling batfe and finding out for my self. thanks anyway guys, it's kind of a special case question.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
I thought someone would answer this for ya - I do not think you can do it. I guess he could mail you the forms for you to sign. But, I'm not sure it would fly.

On the flip side - people have been claiming that their paperwork has been coming in soon, recently. Like a month to 6 weeks. If you waited until U came back, it wouldn't take that long.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'd call BATF on this one, but you would still need your blue print cards done at a PD and this to be signed off by local Law Enforcement, so I think you may have a problem getting this done where you are currently stationed. :wink:

·
Registered
980 Posts
Does anyone have a link to info about setting up a trust for this purpose. I know there was an article in shotgun news awhile back, but I missed that issue.

Thanks. :shock:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, new guy here and potential PS90 SBR owner in the future (a guy's gotta dream).

First, I AM NOT A LAWYER.

One of the great things a trust allows is the addition of other people as trustees, like adding people with a corporation. Depending on your state, Revocable Living Trusts can be simple to set up.

Here in AZ, it took all of 10 minutes with Quicken Lawyer. I got it notarized, sent BATFE a copy of my Certification of Trust, the citizenship documents and my Form 1 for my SBR Uzi and Krinkov. Total processing time for each was about 4 weeks from date of mailing.

Some states require you to file your Trust with some office of theirs. Arizona is not one of those states, so I didn't. Also, the Trust can easily add a weapon by penciling/printing a copy of the Schedule A each time a new item is added/removed. This doesn't need to filed with ATF, either.

With others on the trust, it permits the weapons to be stored at the address of the trust, without access issues like you might have on a "standard" individual NFA weapon.

Again, I am not a lawyer, but this is how many here in AZ have done it.

I plan to add a couple of cans to my collection using this method, too.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Any update on this? I'm in a similar situation. I'm stationed in South Korea and want to have the PS90 I'm buying from Tanner's turned into a SBR. I am going to my Legal department tomorrow to see about setting up a trust. I, too, want to get this done before the political climate changes for the worse.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I went the LLC route in PA - very, very easy. Went to the PA state dept web site, registered my LLC with my Corp HQ address (my house) and got the paperwork in a couple of weeks. I added someone at a later date as a member of the LLC (someone who lives in a different but NFA freindly state) so that if something ever happens to me, he can take possession of all of my NFA items. He can even keep them at his residence with copies of the F4 and F1's, copies of the LLC paperwork and copies of his membership in the LLC.

Good luck! Its addictive!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts