FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found CMMG, Inc's barrels but is there another option for a getting an FN factory 10.3" barrel? I am being retentive but I kind of want FN parts in my FN gun. I am still a little bitter about all the parts I had to take out of my FAL's.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Yes - it is either that, or go with someone who cuts your original barrel and uses the same barrel, then shortened. Only two choices.

·
Registered
83 Posts
factory barrel

Gordon Miller out of SC sellf SBRed PS90s with factory FN P90 barrels. I do not know if he would sell you just the barrel though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Re: factory barrel

brazos609 said:
Gordon Miller out of SC sellf SBRed PS90s with factory FN P90 barrels. I do not know if he would sell you just the barrel though.
im pretty sure that could only be sold to another class 3 mfg...not to a civilian.

·
Registered
142 Posts

Esteves said:
Factory P90 barrels do, occasionally, become available. A barrel is a barrel.
That's right, a barrel is a barrel. The CMMG SBR barrel is made to the same specs as the FN factory P90 barrel. Like someone has mentioned earlier, the CMMG SBR barrels are made with FN's approval.

·
Registered
28 Posts

brazos609 said:
Gordon Miller out of SC sellf SBRed PS90s with factory FN P90 barrels.
No he doesn't. He claims "factory" barrels, not "factory P90" barrels. His are cut down PS90 barrels.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

Gordon Miller out of SC sellf SBRed PS90s with factory FN P90 barrels.
No he doesn't. He claims "factory" barrels, not "factory P90" barrels. His are cut down PS90 barrels.[/quote]

haha i never heard of him but it sounds pretty funny

·
Registered
350 Posts
You can buy however short of a barrel you want

its when you put it on your gun without your stamp that the ATF ninjas get you

·
Registered
6 Posts
SBR Legality

Need a little legal advice regarding the SBR and didn't want to start a new thread...

I live in Illinois, so I know I can't have a short barrel PS90. However, I don't plan on living here forever. With the political winds possibly changing soon, I'm worried about being able to ever own a SBR. Could I buy a short barrel for the PS90 now and keep it in a box until I move out of state, then go through the proper legal method of modification at a later time? There's some kind of law for "machine gun parts" in Illinois, so would me just possessing the short barrel be illegal?

·
Administrator
11,087 Posts
The possession of a rifle barel, regardless of the length of it, is not illegal. The marriage of the barrel (less than 16 inches) to a functioning receiver is ILLEGAL unless you posess an approved Form 1.

Put it this way. If you have a PS90 that is original (including the barrel length) and is assembled and you go to Gunbroker and buy a take off barrel (one taken off of a PS90 for whatever reason) and have it shortened or a short barrel from CMMG or other source and have it in the same location as the functional PS90, you will be OK.

If however, your PS90 is disassembled and those parts are lying around with the short barrel and you DO NOT have an approved Form 1, chances are you will go to jail or be fined or both.

I had an extra barrel in my safe for months and months and never thought twice about it.

Most people will say that you are better off getting the Form 1 before you even get the barrel, and in some instances you may even have to provide a copy of the Form 1 for someone to do the cut work on the barrel, or to purchase the barrel (even though it is not required). I purchased one and had it shortened without an approved Form 1.

Technicaly, if you cut your regular barrel at the blind pin to remove the flash hider without an approved Form 1 you are in violation of the law and are in possession of a SBR because the barrel is now less than 16 inches in length, is married to a receiver, and is considered a functional firearm.

The choice is yours and the regulations are quite specific. A barrel IS NOT a firearm, it is simply a barrel, regardless of the length of it, and is not subject to controlling measures like receivers are.

Given the current view of the SCOTUS on reasonable restrictions, I suggest that you not wait too long before you move. Even if you get the barrel, you might not be able to make a SBR with it at a later date.

Now being in Ill, you can not even submit a Form 1 for approval because it will automatically be disapproved because you are in a state the does not allow SBRs. You must reside in a state that allows a SBR prior to submitting the Form 1. It will also take up to 120 days to get it approved depending on the route that you take, either personal, LLC, Corp, Trust, etc...

·
Administrator
11,087 Posts
s0meguy said:
Excellent... Thank you for the very informative response! Clears it up for me.
I should have noted that this is at the FEDERAL level. Ill may have additional laws that may affect this.

You must comply with the local laws as they trump federal laws.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
this is probably a no brainer but just to cover my butt...

i submitted my form1 about 2 weeks ago, i've already ordered a short bbl from cmmg but won't do anything with that til the form1 comes back to me, but should i hold off on engraving the receiver or can i get that out of the way now?

·
Administrator
11,087 Posts
If you are sure that the Form 1 will be approved, you can have it done at any time.

You do not need an approved Form 1 to engrave anything on your receiver, just so long as the serial number is not altered in any way. You can have a picture of the waskally wrabbit engraved if you want.

I used HDPS. It cost $25.00 to have it done + shipping and insurance (if you want insurance). There is an additional cost if you want to have it blacked out. He will also mount the barrel for you if you wish to have someone to do it instead of doing it yourself. For that, he needs the approved Form 1 though because as I mentioned, as soon as the barrel is married to the receiver, it is a SBR.

He did an excellent job on my receiver and I had it back within 7 days including shipping time both ways using USPS Priority Mail.

Highly recommended.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
ok. i'll be looking to do the engraving soon then.

there are some places that look pretty good locally here in phoenix. i'd rather do that than ship it, the same goes for actually making it a sbr. i know someone that had theirs done by a smith at a range so i'll probably do the same thing there.

thanks for the tips.

·
Administrator
11,087 Posts
No problem.

Just make sure that the engraving complies with the requirement by BATFE in reference to height, depth, and location. It must be visable without dismantling the firearm and it MUST be on the receiver - not the barrel as some think.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts