FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got it back from HDPS last Friday. Big +1 on HDPS. Ed engraved the maker's mark on the right side just above the charging handle. Refinished, you barely notice it. Love the cACOG: good cheek weld, fast, a touch of magnification and, using the tip of the triangle, faily precise. Since the optic is a keeper, I need another half ring and mount for the rear - not that such a light and tiny sight needs it, I just think it would look better and provide more peace of mind.

- Black Tri-rail
- 10.3" CMMG 1/9 barrel
- Gem-tech Quik-mount flash suppressor for the G5 STILL in process
- Trijicon compact ACOG TA40-R2 (2x20, special ring, red triangle) with the low MM07F mount

·
Registered
121 Posts
Gonna go with the G5 or the 5.7 can?

Looks great. I would love to shoot with a compact acog on a p90 just to see what its like. The thought of eye relief as an issue on the P90 sounds really bad to me though. About where is your head on the stock? Do you lean you head forward at all?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Going with a G5. I want to be able to use the can with my AR and M16 uppers as well.

Where the cACOG is mounted in the picture, I get the full objective showing through the eyepiece. My head is not tilted far forward or straight up - call it a tad forward, but still well on the stock and not on the mag. Just right for a more dynamic or "tactical" stance, vs. a classic blade stance.

The mount height is just about perfect; 0.90" (vs. 1.53" for my TA31F) - if the mount was a smidge lower - say 0.75" it would be perfect. I can get a decent cheek weld with the MM07F mount, but not hunkered down in a real tight cheek weld.

I figured the Aimpont Micro - with a stated 0.75" height would be about perfect, but offers no magnification. The 2x cACOG gives a modest amount of power that makes 50 yard shots easy while up close is still very fast thanks to the BAC and 9MOA triangle.

·
Registered
48 Posts
When I was looking at sights the CompactACOG never even crossed my mind. Not sure why either, I've got the TA01NSN on my AR and love it. Looks good on the PS90...I might just have to get one to try out instead of my EOTech.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HKuspc9,

I had tried my EOtech 551 and ACOG TA31F/LaRue on the PS90, pre-SBR and both optics were too high for me - think jaw weld. So I was debating an Aimpoint Micro or the cACOG. Both were sight unseen for me. I decided I wanted a little magnification and went with the 2x20. Additionally the Micro isn't available yet.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I actually prefer the jaw weld so that makes sense why i would think its too low or eye relief too close.

I noticed you said you have an M16 lower. Careful on how much full auto you do in the G5. You might want to get gemtechs word on how much it will hold up too. There are lots of rumors flying around right now about the G5's durability so make sure you are easy on it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I read the thread on AR15.com. I used to own an M4-96D and it served me very well. 30 round mag dumps are fine. I'm not out to abuse the suppressor by putting 800 rounds through it rapid fire. I've seen the video, and I know how to operate an AR. I actually expect to use it mostly with the PS90 as I think it will be a more effective combination.

For me, Gemtech is tops in customer service and support.

Regarding the cACOG - if you want higher, the new 3x30 is sweet with decent eye relief. I think published eye relief is conservative - it seems to me I have at least 3 inches not the 2.1 listed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts