FN Herstal Firearms banner

Would you SBR your PS90 if it meant difficulty selling it when you needed the money?

• Yes, SBR all the way, don't look back!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope, like the SBR Look but not practical for me..

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first time poster here, I just ordered a PS90 and it should be here next week, I can't wait to finally shoot one! I decided on the triple rail, I have never been a fan of the PS90 optics. The only color they had was OD, which really didn't matter to me... Will post pics when it comes in. Oh, I paid $1517 + ship.

I'm not new to the SBR world, so I understand what it takes to get it done and the benefits of having it done.. but there's a few things that have me on the fence with SBRing a PS90... For starters this is a pretty expensive little gun, nowdays selling for $1500+, and who knows where things are going to go from there. SBRing it will make it much more difficult to sell in the future (I don't like to think about that, but we've all sold a few guns here and there), the form 4 would limit my ability to sell it for sure.. I know a lot of guys just don't want to incorporate and in my area NO CLEO's are signing, so SBRing this one would be a pretty solid commitment to keep the gun. I didn't mind SBRing my AR, after all I could sell everything on it and keep the $150 lower and not really care about it. Not so with the PS90!

I know a lot of you are going to say not to worry about the ability to sell it in the future, etc., but that's how I approach most things that I am not positive I am going to keep for a long, long time. Ideally I will keep this and pass it on to a family member, but I could get it and decide to move on to another gun project, which I have done in the past many times. Who knows, perhaps I'll get the .50 bmg itch.... lol.

Also, I wanted to ask about the availability of the 10" barrels and how difficult it is to switch out the 16" for the 10"? I'm guessing by looking at the gun that this would require an armoror to do the work, right?

Another thing that I have heard people mention that have fired the P90 is how close the front hand is to the bore while firing, and one guy I talked to felt uncomfortable that he could possibly slip and move his hand in front of the barrel accidentally- any comment on this? Keep in mind that I haven't fired one, and this isn't my feelings on the gun, but I could see what he means when you watch someone firing a P90.

Just opening this up to discussion, I'm a PS90 noob but pretty well versed in guns in general :-x

Ill also include a poll, what do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Welcome to the forum. SBR it, you'll be able to sell it later if needed. jmo. :?

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
I believe I recently saw a guy sell his SBR'd '90 for a nice chunk of change...I would consider doing it if I were to buy another '90 :?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I love the look of it but…

I have a real fear we could see the day where Govco decides to ban/collect these guns short barreling the weapon lets them know that you have one for sure.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
BHO hates "P-90's" :cry:

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Realize that some of these issues have been discussed before. As long as new PS90s are available - it isn't likely that someone will pay the ATF fee and go thru all that paperwork for a used PS90. If someone is familiar enough to go thru all that, they may as well buy one and do it themselves, or buy an already shortbarrelled PS90 thru CMMG (you can also buy just a short barrelled receiver thru them as well).

Be aware that if you short barrel the gun, you void the warranty, as per FN (I asked the rep here myself a while back in the official Q&A's).

You can do it yourself, but you need certain tools. And, some gunsmiths may not be familiar with the gun. Basically, you could cut the barrel right behind the flash hider, and then you unscrew the barrel using a special wrench. I've read that as you pull the barrel out thru the rear of the receiver, you should slide some sort of wooden rod of similar diameter in thru the front. There are some springs and such in the receiver, and if they fall out, it makes it a bigger headache to reassebmle. Then, U put the new barrel in from the rear, and pull out that wooden rod (or whatever kind of rod you use) from the front as the barrel comes in.

Then retighten the new barrel.

This is all from memory, and it isn't quite as easy as this. It takes special tools and a certain amopunt of force to torque and untorque these barrels. There are some "how to's" floating around on the net. Plus a few people here have done it too - so U can probably get some more detailed advice.

If you care about the warranty, you may want to just buy a 2nd receiver already short barrelled - although this ads a good bit more to the cost of the weapon. But, you could also keep the warranty that way too (on your original receiver)

·
Vendor
5,878 Posts
For me... I think the PS90 is plenty short enough as is. It also makes it easier to sell being in its original state. SBRing it makes it more dificult to transfer and with the whole President Hussein wanting to tighten gun regulations ( if not ban the sale altogether) who knows what we are in store for? :cry:

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
M1P90 said:
For me... I think the PS90 is plenty short enough as is. It also makes it easier to sell being in its original state. SBRing it makes it more dificult to transfer and with the whole President Hussein wanting to tighten gun regulations ( if not ban the sale altogether) who knows what we are in store for? :cry:
Well, that is my opinion. However, I was in the process of buying a new short barrelled receiver, but CMMG made some stupid mistakes and dragged the process on for 2x the length. I finally just cancelled the order and bought my USPc 45.

I've decided that it's not worth the $1k for another receiver afterall too ($799 + the $200 transfer + the local transfer fee)

(I wanted to keep a stock receiver for the warranty on the weapon)

·
Administrator
12,118 Posts
Just the fact that a SBR exist creates lots of paperwork that has to be done when it is time to part with the firearm.

If I sell my PS90, I put an add out, you see it, you want it, you buy it if its legal to own where you are. F2F its done in record time. FFL to FFL takes longer but its still easy.

Now with a SBR, there is all the local and federal paperwork and approval that MUST be obtained PRIOR to transfer of the firearm to someone else (but you know this already). This can take up to 6 months. So I do not believe that if you are short on cash and want a quick sale of a SBR that it is likely to happen UNLESS you sell to a Class III dealer that will give you your price, but there is also paperwork that has to be completed using this route, but is less cumbersome because the Class III dealer is a FFL, a buisness, and does not need the CLEO approval and the FBI background check, and passport photos, and fingerprint cards, and time, time, time, ...

Availability of 10 inch barrels is off and on. It seems that when you need one, it can't be found. However, when you do not want one, everyone has one in stock. It's hit or miss - much like the Jarvis barrel for the FiveseveN.

Swapping out the barrel is easy as pie IF you have the tools. Requires a vice (for stability only), torque wrench, slimmed down crows foot for use when you torque the new barrel and FH, and slimmed down standard 15MM and 19MM wrenches. I have the instruction (with pictures) in MS Word if you want them. I would post it but I do not remember who the author is so that I can credit him/her. PM me and I will send it to you if you want.

As far as shooting ones hand, no more likely than shooting ones foot.

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
Here is how I look at it. I bought my PS90 for two reasons:

because I WANTED one and
Because I figure the time to purchase one will be SHORT.

Now, if you are going to purchase and own an exotic weapon like this.... why wouldn't you want to go the extra mile before it is too late? You are buying something unique exotic and rare, why would you stop at 90% and not go that extra 10%?

Why settle for some long-necked civilian looking version when you can go the extra mile and get so close?

Furthermore, once I got my hands on my PS90 that long barrel looked so goofy to me. Granted, it DID grow on me and I liked the look after a bit, but now that I went SBR I do not regret it. There is no question when I pull out that rifle what it is.

I don't get "Is that a P90? Why does it have that strange looking long barrel?"

·
Registered
20 Posts
IMHO NFA guns will be protected more than any non-NFA guns in the event of some kind of ban. They are much more regulated and controlled. I live in a state that does not allow SBR/SBS, but if I could have mine SBR'd I would absolutely do it! :?

·
Registered
520 Posts
That was my thought as well. I am thinking about SBRing my AR for that reason, but then I think that the Dems are basically forcing us into voluntary registration.

SCREW DAT!

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Kinda off topic but I am considering SBR'ing my SCAR when I get it

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I believe that all it takes is to remove the weapon fron SBR status is to replace the barrel with one of 16 inches or more and a letter to the ATF requesting removal from SBR status. But don't expect your $200 back.

·
Administrator
12,118 Posts
blkbd said:
I believe that all it takes is to remove the weapon fron SBR status is to replace the barrel with one of 16 inches or more and a letter to the ATF requesting removal from SBR status. But don't expect your $200 back.
It just may be that easy. This would be good information to know.

However, if you just disassemble the SBR and replace the barrel, you still have all the components to re-assemble (readibly restore) it to SBR status. All the parts still exist and are on hand. Readibly = without much difficulty. So assuming that you do the work and disassemble the SBR and restore it to standard, you would have to have access to the tools to reverse this action. Two slimmed downed wrenches, a 15mm and 19mm. Just about what every mechanic and home owner in America owns.

Considering BATFE NFA Branch tracks the reciever and not the barrel, I would consider the reciever the problem part even though it can be reconfigured to a 'standard' application.

I did not find anything in ATF Pub 5300.4 Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide that addressed the dismantling or removing from registration a NFA registered firearm.

If it is considered 'making' a firearm when you reconfigure the SBR into the PS90, you will need a Form 1 and $200.00 as you are making a new firearm and not a restored one as the original parts were modified to become the SBR.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
blkbd said:
From my experiences, this is correct. You would be required to sell the SBR barrel so you wouldn't run into the "easily converted" problem.

The one thing about the PS90 is that it's a pain to change the barrel out, and the barrel/upper reciever is the registered part, unlike the AR15 which is very easy to swap out and convert at the drop of a dime...

·
Registered
475 Posts
you're going to spend about $450 on the barrel and paperwork, plus $$ on a flash hider and someone to do the work for you. is six inches less barrel really worth it? if it is than do it if not put a nice optic on your TR and be done with it. oh extra mags and ammo are a must so make sure you have your priorities in order

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hell, do it.

The PS90 is a toy, might as well make it an even cooler toy.

I don't have any use for long barreled pistol caliber carbines.

Here's Brett W. from FN Military at a class I was at with a P90.

And your's truely....it was damn hot down there.

You won't shoot your hand, there's plenty there to stop you from doing so.

If I were to get one, I'd go through CMMG and have their name on the SBR, not mine, so it would be much easier to sell.

·
Registered
32 Posts
returning a SBR to normal state

You guys are forgetting one thing about returning a SBR to it's 16" legal status.

Provided you removed the original barrel properly (end milled off the back side of the blind pin and pushed it through) then all you have to do is reinsert a pin and weld it in, and you can no longer "readily convert to SBR" just by the possession of the short barrel, though it would certainly be a wise idea to sell it off and remove any chance of BATF claiming inappropriate behavior on your part.

Any competent gunsmith should be able to blindpin the original barrel and shroud back onto your PS90 should you really need it done.

Another option is you can part out your SBR'ed PS90 and just hold on to the upper receiver, and I suspect you would be close to your original cash expenditure, and you'd still technically own the gun, so you could try and buy those parts to restore your SBR to functioning status later down the road when they make it hard to get NFA items. (god forbid that be a tact they try)

Onyx

·
Registered
520 Posts
Templar said:
>snip<

Here's Brett W. from FN Military at a class I was at with a P90.

OH MY GOD! THAT'S A WHITE RING SIGHT MODEL! HOW DID HE EVER FIND A TARGET IN FULL DAYLIGHT WITH IT? OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH THE HORROR!!!!!!

:twisted:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts