FN Herstal Firearms banner

SBR Help

2K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  cation3 
#1 ·
I want to start into the SBR and Silencer game. I talked to my local shop and they have me confused big time. I wanna build the whole gun upper and lower, IS that Possible?? They say they need the serial #, well if I order the components to get the serial # for the SBR could I get in trouble?? Any help would be appreciated. I would like to start with the SBR because its not as $$$.

#5 · (Edited)
You can build your own SBR...that's what a Form 1 is, an application to manufacture. A completed SBR would be done on a Form 4. You'll need the serial number from the receiver to file the Form 1. Don't keep all the components to complete the SBR in one location until you receive your stamp.

#8 ·
On some, I got the length of the components and added them. The complete package was right on the money. On others (SCARs, PS90, Uzi) I was mimicking the factory build..so I went with that information.

Reactions: Hairlesswookiee
#9 ·
Quick and dirty on the process:

1. Form your trust.
2. Decide on and purchase the lower you plan to use for the SBR.
3. Use trust to efile for a tax stamp for your SBR, with the # on your lower.
4. Assemble all your parts MINUS/NOT INCLUDING/WITHOUT your barrel.
5. Wait.
6. Agonize.
7. Visit NFA Tracker at least 18 times a day.
8. Wait.
9. When you get your stamp, purchase your barrel and assemble.
10. Have fun.
11. Realize you are fixing to go deeply in to debt because one stamp only leads to 7 more.....

#18 ·
Quick and dirty on the process:

1. Form your trust.
2. Decide on and purchase the lower you plan to use for the SBR.
2b. Have the lower engraved with your trust info.
3. Use trust to efile for a tax stamp for your SBR, with the # on your lower.
4. Assemble all your parts MINUS/NOT INCLUDING/WITHOUT your barrel.***
5. Wait.
6. Agonize.
7. Visit NFA Tracker at least 18 times a day.
8. Wait.
9. When you get your stamp, purchase your barrel and assemble.
10. Have fun.
11. Realize you are fixing to go deeply in to debt because one stamp only leads to 7 more.....
This.

*** With a slight difference in opinion on number 4: If you can pick up a cheap (used) SB-15 pistol stabilizing brace and tube, you can build the full gun and use it now, while you wait for the stamp. When a stripped lower is transferred to you, it will be as a firearm, not a rifle or pistol. Whatever you put on it first (stock or PSB) is what defines it. If it is a pistol, there is no barrel length requirement. When the stamp clears, pull off the PSB and put on your stock of choice. Makes numbers 5 through 8 a little more bearable.

Here is a pistol:
Firearm Gun Trigger Rifle Assault rifle

Here's the same SBR a few weeks and a few stamps later:
Firearm Gun Rifle Trigger Assault rifle

It may be a good idea to have the lower engraved while stripped so as not having to potentially tear it down. It may also be a good idea to engrave before filing. There are a lot of lgs hacks out there that claim they've done many professional engravings before, come highly recommended from respected sources and then they chew up your lower - ask me how I know. That was free in the end. The repair cost me twice as much as the original plan.

and...unfortunately, I have to agree: Number 11 above is incredibly true.

-Drew

#14 ·
OK one other real quick question, I read I should set up my trust and I have to have my trust name, city, state engraved on the lower. I can not abbreviate any of the trust???I will call you Jeremy

I do want a suppressor but do not have over 1k to put down at this time.

#16 ·
First off, what are you wanting to build ( SCAR, AR-15 ect. ). I really don't see why a LGS would need a serial # for anything, your form 1 for SBR, will be completed by you. The ATF will need the # then. A suppressor will be on a form 4 and it will have the serial # on it that is required for the filing. Reason for asking about build, different guns different serial # locations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.