FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so with my new 17 comes new projects!!! in regards to the topic of the SBR, i want to make sure i abide by the law so my question is this, is it perfectly legal to own the barrel, while waiting for the ATF to approve the paper work? of course the barrel would not be installed until approval papers were in hand, but am i good to obtain a 13 in barrel, while waiting for the ATF to get back to me? sorry if this has been asked already, ive been searching for a similar question for a hot minute

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
I'm still brushing up on my NFA stuff however I think that, Unfortunately the ATF has the word intent worked into their literature. Meaning if you have the barrel and the rifle in the same household the ATF could charge that you intended to install the barrel. To be safe you should have someone else who does not have a scar hold the battle for you. Am I right fellas?

Reactions: jshep

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
To err on the side of caution, I'd definitely keep the barrel at a separate location until you receive your stamp.

Reactions: KameronTKelly

·
Registered
573 Posts
I'm still brushing up on my NFA stuff however I think that, Unfortunately the ATF has the word intent worked into their literature. Meaning if you have the barrel and the rifle in the same household the ATF could charge that you intended to install the barrel. To be safe you should have someone else who does not have a scar hold the battle for you. Am I right fellas?
Kameron...I did the same thing. You are right regarding the "constructive intent". Keeping the barrel and weapon in the same location is what will get you slapped with that particular felony.

OP, if you find the right price on the barrel, go ahead and buy it...but NEVER keep it anywhere near a SCAR. Don't even bring it home. You'll get different opinions on any forum, but in this case, it's better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
377 Posts
To err on the side of caution, I'd definitely keep the barrel at a separate location until you receive your stamp.
Agreed. Most thoughts that I have read over the last year or two have suggested keeping the barrel at a different location that the carbine so the ATF can't get you on "intent." This is what I would do.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Number 12
Q: May a FFL or an individual legally possess the parts to manufacture an SBR or SBS as long as no firearms are actually assembled?A FFL (Type-7 or Type-10) who pays the Special Occupational Tax (SOT) may possess parts required to assemble NFA firearms. A non-licensee or FFL who has not paid the SOT is required to register any NFA firearm via an ATF Form 1 (5320.1) prior to acquisition of the parts required to assemble such firearm.

Reactions: jshep
1 - 8 of 8 Posts