FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone worried about politics and what might happen to any short barrelled weapons or any other mods that U had to pay fees to the ATF for? What if the political wind changes 1 day and they decided U can't do those kind's of things anymore.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
I believe your would be "grandfathered" in so I don't think there would be a problem. Only if there was a "National Emergency" and they employed martial law and took everyone's guns away.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I HOPE they will be grandfathered.

Besides the cost, that is something else bugging me a little bit in preventing me from short barrelling mine. Ya never know...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Never Happen

IMHO,..

If they "Try" and take everyone's guns away they are going to have a bigger civil war on their hands than is going on in Iraq right now.

IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN..

Just like TQTRAN said.

It would have to be some sort of "24" scenario where there is nukes going off and they need to impose martial law.

And even then what does it help to take away SBR's and other Class III's besides DD's. (I could understand them not wanting Grenade launchers hanging around).

It just won't happen.

NOWTHEN. Another assault weapons ban..., that could happen.

give it another 2 years and we'll see.

Bye Bye.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I don't see them taking away "everyone's" weapons - but I could envision them going after the machine guns and short barrelled stuff that people have registered...

Anyway, I hope it doesn't happen. But for those types of weapons, there is an absolute papertrail, and they can trace the weapon back for sure.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It would literally take an act of Congress to do that. This means that members of Congress would have to admit that they hadn't done so before. This would be embarassing.

Inflation is evil, but this is one case where it has helped. I do fear an increase, which would be easy for politicians to justify. But again, that would mean that they would have to admit that the current system actually exists. Again, for many of them, this would be embarassing.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I believe your would be "grandfathered" in so I don't think there would be a problem. Only if there was a "National Emergency" and they employed martial law and took everyone's guns away.
haha if it is that bad of a national emergency I cant see them collecting peoples guns, and I might speak for everyone else as well good luck in getting it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
NFA weapons are relatively safe. Percentage wise very small overall. Plus hard to justify a problem, there has not been a crime committed with a legally possessed NFA weapon since the late 60's and it was a cop that committed it.
Also politicians do not want to tell their $1000 a plate backers that we want to take your $20k MP5s and $40k Thompson’s away from them. The inflation in the machinegun market and the fact that MG are increasingly in the hands of the wealthy has caused the unintended effect of giving them what I call the “protection of the privileged.” Which in turn benefits us all.
Or I could be wrong :roll:

·
Registered
18 Posts
As an FYI- if by "worried about an increase" you mean an escalation in the $200 fee it cant happen.

The original 1936 NFA which set the fee is somehow written in such a way that the $200 fee is inextricably linked with the NFA. To increase it would require a repeal of the NFA laws and then a re-draft of them- which would leave a "Wild West" window open for a fairly long time.

COngress tried back in the 1960's to increase the fee to, iirc, $500 but failed do to the nature of how the original NFA is written. Remember, when the law was first written one could get a Thompson mailed to you from Sears with 100 rnds of ammo and 2 drums for $50- so a $200 tax per weapon seemed like a GREAT way to keep guns out of the hands of most people.

So the actual NFA fee cannot be raised. Now- I'm not sure if they can tack on additional fees at some point but the $200 NFA Tax stamp is inviolate for purposes of raising it without abandoning the NFA for a rewrite (and the way our laws are done is before a new law can replace the old one the old one needs to be repealed)

AN interesting side note- do you know why corporations are exempt from the tax? Thank Henry Ford. Ford had the largest private army under arms in America at the time (his fabled strike breakers). Ford had, literally, a few hundred or more full-auto weapons and did not feel like paying a few hundred thousand in tax stamps for them. SO he used his influence to get the NFA amended to exempt corporations from the tax since the guns would be owned by the corp and not an individual.

ANother intersting point re: the head of Treasury. The head of Treasury, according to the NFA, may declare an amnesty at any time without Congressional or Presidential approval in order to put Class 3 weapons back in order (the only time this has happened was of course in 1968).

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
The only reason I haven't SBR mine is that I worry they might pass a law that makes them non transferable and cannot be willed to family members or some other dumb rule that gets me stuck with something that I can neither sell or give away.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
devildoc said:
The only reason I haven't SBR mine is that I worry they might pass a law that makes them non transferable and cannot be willed to family members or some other dumb rule that gets me stuck with something that I can neither sell or give away.
That's my biggest reasons too..

·
Registered
350 Posts
you guys talkin about martial law, after hurricane katrina i believe i heard about a new law passed forbidding the confiscation of firearms of citizens during a state of emergency

as far as nfa weapons go, duh they arent going to outlaw them, the govt gets money for nothing for "letting" you have them, that tax stamp is free income

·
Administrator
11,806 Posts
I think that if you have a NFA firearm or item, you will get to keep it.

You will however never ever again be able to transfer (will) it to anybody else as such transfers will be outlawed. After all, your right to keep and have it will not be infringed, just your ability (not a right) to transfer it. So after you die, your NFA items will be confiscated by the you know what. After all, the ATF knows where all of the legally owned NFA firearms and NFA items are.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Well there you go HK SD9 Tactical, hit the nail on the head. No one plan's to die, (Other than TA in his sleep, Ha) and if happens quickly and then the damn BATF shows up and takes away your gun/s. I'd be pissed.

I might just have to ResErect and kick some butt or at least do some Nightmare on Elm Street haunting on them.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If I could ever suck up some cash to buy just a 2nd receiver, I might shortbarrel the thing. But, then I am looking at $60 + the cost of the new receiver....

I don't wanna not be bale to pass my guns, or even 1 gun, on to my son

1 - 19 of 19 Posts