FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a couple of times that if you SBR your PS90 it voids the warranty. Is this because of a potential failure or FN trying to keep you from breaking you PS90 when you disassemble it?

Thanks

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Well, I saw a lot of speculation on this issue, but no definitive answer.

So on the latest Q&A session here: http://fnforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=5799

I asked the question about whether this would void the warranty or not. I even asked if it would void the warranty with CMMG doing the work themselves. The answer was that it would...

·
Registered
980 Posts
I read an article, supposedly written by a metropolitan police chief, who said that using suppressors with ss190 caused the P90s receivers to crack.
Maybe this is why it voids the warranty. Because it allows you to attach a suppressor which brings pressure to (perhaps) unintended levels.

·
Administrator
11,928 Posts
Why would anybody want to use a supressor with the SS190. The SS190 is a supersonic round and thus makes the supressor useless as the sound barrier is broken by the velocity of the bullet.

The FsN, P90 and PS90 (as well as the SBR version) are all capable of firing the SS190 with no ill effects. If you add a supressor, it will not build up any additional pressure because as soon as the bullet leaves the barrel, pressure created by the powder dissipates into the larger volume of the silencer instead of the barrel. Even if the powder did not burn entirely, the volume inside the silencer with the barrel is much greater than the volume of the barrel itself so it would be as if you used the P90 without a silencer.

I would like to see the article that you speak of. I believe what you say about the article but I have doubts about the testing that they used to come up with this conclusion.

·
Registered
47 Posts
while i must say that a can does increase back pressure, somewhat, it mostly increases the dwell time of the pressure, not the peak level of pressure. but neither is a big deal.

while you can "silence" a supersonic round, you really cant "silence" any bullet, and thats not the point. the point is to mitigate the report of the rifle. for a variety of reasons. in the case of the 5.7, im expecting my m4-2000 to bring sound levels down to below the threshhold for hearing protection. hoping actually, but since it brings my colt commando down to la level only osha would worry about for the occasional exposure, i think it might get the ps90 down low enough. even if it doesnt, the idea that people around the corner or in the next room wont know what that odd thwap sound was is the real idea.

as far as warranty goes, the idea of packing up a registered firearm and sending it off to FN is in my mind unthinkable. you would have to report the location of the gun to the atf. this is why my gunsmith made me put 1000 rounds thru the gun before we sbr it and mill the top off.

now, if i could only get the A.T.F. to get off its A.S.S. and get me my permission slip!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info.

Sounds like you won't tear one up unless you suppress a full auto, causing cyclic rate to speed up from increased pressure.

I am new to the class 111 world, but don't you have to report the location of all SBR's no matter how or who built it.

Sorry for all the questions. I just pickup a PS90 and am leaning toward SBRing it and maybe suppressing it as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I would think that any alteration to a firearm (except factory) would void any warranties. :NO:

Tony

·
Registered
32 Posts
In response to the SS190 and suppressor.

I have a G5 on order for my SBR PS90 and plan to use it with SS190, when the compact length is not needed. I am also going to order the SB193, but it will not be the primary cartridge used.

I know it does not "silence" the gun. I have used the Surefire suppressors on M4s, semi and full-auto, and they can still be easily heard.

Anyone who has shot firearms without hearing protection knows the ill effects. Even the short term "ringing" can affect what you hear after or during the shots.

In have been involved in (LE) critical incidents with multiple firearms being used. This was only hand guns. By using a suppressor, the goal is to remove the short term hearing loss from a firefight, so I can still hear my police radio clearly, as well as any verbal commands given. I am not looking for a full stealth shot with the SS190, just a rifle shot that won't kill my hearing short or long term.

While not stealth, the combination has its purpose IMO.

·
Registered
980 Posts
HK SD9 Tactical said:
I would like to see the article that you speak of. I believe what you say about the article but I have doubts about the testing that they used to come up with this conclusion.
OK I found it and it's a post from lightfighter supposedly authored by a full time SWAT officer. So who knows, take it as you will:

”The 5.7 pistol as a carry gun is a mistake for all the reasons Doc stated. There are far more effective weapons and ammunition combinations out there. The only factor that comes close to equalizing the P90 (not the 5.7 pistol) is it's full auto capability: 900 rpm of very controllable fire. Even this advantage is limited to close-in, CQB type engagements. I can put more rounds on target faster with the P90 than with my M4 in close contact engagements. Unfortunately you may HAVE to put more rounds in the threat due to the lack of damage the projectile causes. We have been using 30 P90's for five years now. There have been three BG's shot with them. We will not be buying more...Using SS190 and a suppressor will lead to cracks in the frame around the barrel support lock (takedown button). This is a result of the increase in back pressure....But then between me and the guy sitting next to me right now we have only been in a couple of gunfights with them so take what I say with a grain of salt...for those still interested in listening to real world experience with the P90 and SS190 ammo. The round is far less effective than 5.56 and many other widely used defensive loads. You want to wrap your life around the 5.7/P90 system knock yourself out. I am not trying to be a dick to you but my agency has more operation experience with the system then ANY and our verdict is it is far less effective than advertised.”

1 - 14 of 14 Posts