FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about finally turning my 16 into an SBR. Anyone got inputs on barrel lengths? Leaning towards a 10.5ish. Will run it with a DeadAir can the majority of the time. With that in mind, what gas jet should i start with?
Thanks!

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Should work fine with the current port. Haven’t heard of anyone having issues with the factory 10.5 barrel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan on getting my 16" cut down (from a reputable smith of course). Wish I could afford to snag a factory shorty but life ya know.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Not having the patience to wait for a tax stamp or fork over $200.00 I took another route.
I sent my barrel and a Silencerco Brake to PMM and had him cut, weld and pin both to a OAL
of 16”.
I like the overall balance of the SCAR 16 much better.
He returned it with a 1.5 gas screw as he wants the gun to run and have the correct dwell.
I find it too gassy and the stock 1.4 as well. So I’m at 1.3 and it runs fine. Less gas with the suppressor.
just another way to think about it.
Doug

·
Registered
73 Posts
If I can find a factory 10" barrel, that's the route I'm going to go. I just grabbed a 16s last night to make into an SBR. The shop owner where I bought it has one and he had the barrel chopped to 10". He runs the factory jet and runs it suppressed without issue. I figure if I can't find a barrel in the next few months, I'll send it off the PMM to have it cut. I'd like to keep the 16" though and have the option to swap. I'm going to submit my eform 1 in the next week or so, so it's approved ahead of time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's exactly my overall thought picture. I'd love to keep the 16" and grab a factory 10". But money. Don't really wanna drop another ~1000 on a barrel. So unfortunately I think the play is just to cut my 16".
Are you doing your form as a trust or individual? And do you know the wait times on them?

·
Registered
73 Posts
That's exactly my overall thought picture. I'd love to keep the 16" and grab a factory 10". But money. Don't really wanna drop another ~1000 on a barrel. So unfortunately I think the play is just to cut my 16".
Are you doing your form as a trust or individual? And do you know the wait times on them?
Last December I purchased two suppressors which were the first NFA items. I didn't know too much about the process and submitted as an individual. I've been doing everything that way and I guess I can always move them to a Trust in the future, I just have to pay the tax again to do so. Ugh. Anyway, I've submitted a few eform 1s in the last 6 months and they all come back in about 30 days.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Last December I purchased two suppressors which were the first NFA items. I didn't know too much about the process and submitted as an individual. I've been doing everything that way and I guess I can always move them to a Trust in the future, I just have to pay the tax again to do so. Ugh. Anyway, I've submitted a few eform 1s in the last 6 months and they all come back in about 30 days.
Was just curious. I have a can and sbr on my trust, and everything else is as an individual. Asking because I haven't done any trust stuff since before the Obama exit changes. Heard it's awful, so I may just do individual.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I'd recommend a factory 10 inch as well. Avoids any of the potentials of having one cut, and it's a spare barrel. Really lets you take advantage of the SCAR's modularitiy if you decide not to sell it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The factory 10" FN barrel assemblies are very scarce right now (moving production to the US?). Many are sending their barrels off to PPM for the cut job/gas jet retrofit. If you want to maintain your factory 16" barrel several of those have popped up for $500 or more. The factory 10" barrels, new in box, are selling for well north of $1k now when they can be sourced. Eform-1s are clearing in under 30 days for SBR/SBS.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts