FN Herstal Firearms banner

SCAR 16 all WET!!

7K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  Canyon Man 
#1 · (Edited)
SCAR 16 all WET!! -- Video added --

So we've been running the SCAR 16 pretty hard these last couple of days. (Mostly for paid product reviews)
But I gotta say, as long as you don't forget to change your gas setting from (supressed 10'oclock to normal 12'oclock)
It runs remarkably better than an AR15 coming out of the water. :?

Currently working on some video content that will be posted on our website within the coming weeks featuring my SCAR being thrown into a beaver pond and soaked in a creek. Most people would cringe when they see a $2400 rifle and optic in a creek bed... How about you? Ever run yours wet?

See less See more
1 1
#7 ·
So we've been running the SCAR 16 pretty hard these last couple of days. (Mostly for paid product reviews)
But I gotta say, as long as you don't forget to change your gas setting from (supressed 10'oclock to normal 12'oclock)
It runs remarkably better than an AR15 coming out of the water. :?

Currently working on some video content that will be posted on our website within the coming weeks featuring my SCAR being thrown into a beaver pond and soaked in a creek. Most people would cringe when they see a $2400 rifle and optic in a creek bed... How about you? Ever run yours wet?
Sounds like you're doing this as part of a business.

Reactions: captain_bob
#8 ·
I used to run the HD-7 on my Colt, not a bad optic and I've never had problem with it. I just recently gave it to my father to put on his 715t, and he loves it. Looking forward to your review!

#12 ·
Most people would cringe when they see a $2400 rifle and optic in a creek bed... How about you? Ever run yours wet?
Not on purpose since leaving the military :confused0068mf8:

#13 ·
Could you make a video with a over the beach test like the HK commercial with the german guy in the mud hole with the hk416 ?
Since your testing products and don't wish to disclose info which i understand, could you do it with a "Stock" scar 16/17 ? Thanks, i want to see if the weapon will run with water in every orifice of the weapon. Thanks in advance.

#17 ·
I'll have to look into the HK commercial; haven't seen that one. I think I'll edit up some clips tonight just showing the water scenes for you guys. Basically each time I pull it out of the water I pour the water out of the barrel, insert a magazine and fire. I've done it 4x now and as long as you have the gas regulator in the proper setting it works just like it does on a dry day. You really notice an increase in the gas/water vapor ejection coming out of the regulator as the gas block gets saturated. After a few rounds and the piston dries up it goes back to normal.

#20 ·
There's gold in that stream...

#29 ·
It's been 5 days since the water testing and have been really impressed with the Tetra Gun Spray Cleaner/Light Lubricant. Externally and internally I sprayed the key components down before everything was tossed in the water. When we got back to the shop I stripped it down and cleaned everything and added another coat just to be sure. So far... so good (at least no rust to be found).

#30 ·
I don't normally post about this because ppl will give me hell for putting my guns thru the paces, but I test all my firearms in mud, sand and water. If I may use my favorite Clint Eastwood quote, "A mans got to know his limitations". I figure it's nothing the firearm may not incur in military use, or harsh practical conditions. I have fallen in snow and mud before with my rifle when fatigued in the great outdoors. If anyone is interested, my scar 17 did fine thru all, EXCEPT...I poured bottled water and dirt over the ejection port areas, and found the trigger didn't fully go 4ward. The rifle cycled fine, but for about 5 rounds, I had to push the trigger 4ward the last quarter inch b4 it would fire. It's the stock trigger. I'm hoping a new trigger will perform better. Dirt and triggers don't go well together lol. I've never seen anyone post anything regarding trigger problems in harsh conditions, so I thought I'd share it. And yes, the cleaning process is very thorough when I'm done. And once I know how my firearm performs and what happens when met with such conditions, I don't repeat the process. I take great pride and care in my firearms, but I do make sure I know their limitations. It's also valuable knowledge to have. I really like your vid, thanks for sharing it. : )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.