FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello group,
I am glad to find such a wonderful site dedicated to FNH enthusiasts. This is my first post and I will document my experience with FNH here. And I hope this post can provide some references for those who are thinking to send their firearms in for warranty service and repair.

I purchased the Scar 16S rifle brand new and only shot 260 rounds of 5.56 ammunition using the factory supplied magazine. Upon close inspection during cleaning, I noticed the following two issues:

• Barrel Extension Screws are off centered. They were perfectly centered upon purchase. Now you can see the ones on the left screw support moved towards the bottom, and the ones on the right screw support moved towards the top.

LeftSide (1024x768).jpg RightSide (1024x768).jpg
Left Right

• Four out of the six locking lugs on the bolt have pronounced chips on wears them. Wears and tears can be observed on the feed ramp/extension as well.

Bolt (725x645).jpg

I sent the rifle in via Fedex ground, it cost about $50 and took 3 days to get to FNH’s service center. I received my service card within a week of the delivery date. It is currently “being worked on by a gunsmith.” I have to say that I am impressed by FNH’s speed.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be honest, I don’t know. I am new to shooting and this is my first gun. Sorry I can't give a better answer.

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
I don't want to sound like an *sshole, but what if you took the time to shoot the gun and it shot a quarter inch group at 100 yards, before you sent it in?

I'll bet you would have been pretty pleased with the weapon's performance, correct?

-SS

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I can’t comment on your original question because I am a beginner who is not experienced enough to shoot a “quarter inch” group at 100 yards. Further, does the abnormal wear have anything to do with how the gun "shoot (group)"? As stated, I shot 260 rounds before sent it in. Please understand that "performance" and quality are two different things.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I think his point was that would you have gotten to know the gun by shooting it, which you did, you would know if something was off.

That being said, its a tool of combat and shouldnt be treated like a baby etc etc..as a new gun owner you should want your scar to be issue free and fnh service dept is there to help.

Youll have it back soon and welcome to the forums

·
Registered
341 Posts
As a beginner, how did you know that is abnormal wear? What are barrel extension screws? Does a SCAR have a extension on the barrel?
Was it hard to get the bolt out? Maybe you have other firearms and are only a beginner on the SCAR platform?

Glad FNH is looking it over.

·
Registered
341 Posts
In order to make my concerns clear to FNH, I actually looked up what each part is called. Here is the parts diagram, pretty handy :)

SCAR Parts: MGW
Well there you go.

The bolt picture, dang that thing is clean and shiny. You could eat off of it.

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
I should go back into retirement.

I can clearly see in your photos, the barrel retention fasteners. The feature where the T25 bit mates with the fastener is distorted which can only be accomplished by applying more than the prescribed 62 inch pounds of force in order to retain the barrel in the chassis. I also am 100% confident that this did not occur during the build process.

Detailed cleaning...

-SS

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thank you for the technical explanation. I have not done a detailed cleaning since purchase because I don’t have the appropriate tools to take the barrel apart. I bought it new from a local gun shop and those screws were 100% centered at the point of purchase. I remembered that clearly because other than the cosmetics I had no idea what to look for, so I paid extra attention to all the screws and the paint. Would you please explain to me why you are “100% confident that this did not occur during the build process?”
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
The weapons aren't painted, they're hard coat anodized, and during your inspection you noticed the centered fasteners but didn't notice the displaced material on the fasteners themselves?

I'm going to excuse myself from this thread now.

-SS

·
Registered
341 Posts
I sent you a private message. Look at the top right for notifications.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Congrats on your first rifle purchase. Good 1st choice. SCARs are very good quality military grade rifles. As all fnh weapons. Glad to hear fnh usa is fast to fix the issues. You will fall in love with the scar the more you shoot it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Well, I came to this forum to meet and to learn from other SCAR owners. Let’s just cherish the politeness :)
This is done best while wearing hip waders. :-o

Oh well, I am following the wise example of bowing out.

Buh bye.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
New to firearms= used to much torque as he tore gun apart to clean the piss out of it

Now I could be wrong as I am not an expert and Sgts or other more experienced then me may correct me if I am wrong...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts