FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rumor still persists that HDD is working on such an animal then again HDD claims to be developing all sorts of caliber conversions for the SCAR platform. I for one would be happy with just a 22lr, anybody have any new news on the matter?

I'm thinking it wouldn't be that difficult for the 16s.

1) Different barrel and extension, with a faux gas block keeping the folding front sight.
2) Redesigned Bolt Carrier, made much lighter possibly out of polymer with the appropriate weight recoil spring.
3) Redesigned rimfire bolt.
4) Single-stack AR-22 mags are already available and I assume should work since the 16s will accept STANAG M16/M4 mags.

Am I missing any engineering challenge not already mentioned?

Reactions: LESTER

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I would think you would need to contain the entire action within bolt carrier since you essentially doing away with the gas piston system to one that's recoil driven. And hammer spring will need replacing as well? I dunno I'm not an engineer.

Frankly I think I would be more interested in a 9mm conversion similar to what IWI has out for the Tavor.

If you're looking for 22lr version, check out the MK22. It's cheaper and no wait time:

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I'll be, would you look at that? :icon_idea:

That's a viable option -will have to look into a Mk22 too- nice, had to show me that did you, you wallet lightening bastard you! :biggrin: I'd prefer to keep the same platform with a .22lr conversion in an attempt to keep the weight and feel as close as possible to the 16s. I think a lighter hammer spring wouldn't be much of an engineering stretch and I concur the BCG might need to be inclusive for a 22 conver.

I would think you would need to contain the entire action within bolt carrier since you essentially doing away with the gas piston system to one that's recoil driven. And hammer spring will need replacing as well? I dunno I'm not an engineer.

Frankly I think I would be more interested in a 9mm conversion similar to what IWI has out for the Tavor.

If you're looking for 22lr version, check out the MK22. It's cheaper and no wait time:

Reactions: CPTdaz

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn! Only $665 for the ISSC MK22 but I'd still be willing to pay a few dollars more for a drop-in .22lr conversion.

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Grinder,

It's a nice alternative if I can't work out a drop-in conversion.

If you watch the auctions, you can do ALOT better than that

·
Registered
29 Posts
Reactions: SeaMac

·
Registered
3,731 Posts

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You two must be using telekinesis! :lol:

If I do choose to go the ISSC route it certainly won't be the less accurate color FDE. :NO:

I'll first have to exhaust all potential of a drop-in conversion before I pull the trigger on an alternative. Bear in mind, what the Austrian's have built albeit a close facsimile, is not a 16s.

Who has them for over $600?

ISSC MK22 SCAR .22lr Desert Rifle

not trying to promote anyone but that's a deal if people are thinking of dropping $600+

·
Registered
803 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,490 Posts

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks guys for the heads up, remember it's just a thought, I have many throughout the day some more fleeting than others.

If anyone is thinking about the ISSC, MK-22 and you have a few hundred hours to read this massive thread (which I and others have contributed to) please read first before pulling out that credit card. It's a great little shooter, but mods are imminent to make it run better.

http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-scar-16s/25613-issc-mk22-supressors-scopes-acessories-etc.html
Yeah, that thread makes it sound like a time goblin.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I bought one a few months ago from CDNN for $359 and have had no issues whatsoever using the cheapest .22LR I could find(magtech $4.99 for a box of 50). It has the latest trigger update. Its a ball to shoot and very similar in size and weight to the 16S.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I hope this helps.

ISSC is supposed China material in comparison to the real 80% German Anschutz Scar 22LR clone.
It sounds like the video speaks for itself.
A silly video ending too.

ANSCHÜTZ semi-automatic precision rifle MSR RX 22 Anschutz_Rx22_MSR-3.jpg

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I just noticed.
That German has his front sight backwards from the above shot shot video! The sight looks like a Troy.

Is this like the HK 45ACP photo "thing"?
A supposed photographer from a company took HK pics with the mag loaded backwards.
The HK photo thread jokes lives on from that rumored photo shoot event.

This video below is a quicky of the Anschutz FDE 22LR at 2014 shot w/ what looks like a Warne "Skel" (skeletonized) mount.

_________

ShootingTimes did a review on the 22LR too.:?
Anschütz MSR RX22 Review

Anschütz MSR RX22 Review | Shooting Times

_______

1 - 20 of 24 Posts