FN Herstal Firearms banner

??? SCAR 16s .300blk Barrel Mod Question/s ???

2K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  SeaMac 
#1 · (Edited)
This may have been addressed before, I'm not sure. I was wondering if it were possible to ream/re-line bore the OEM 16s barrel to accommodate the .300blk's cartridge case profile and 7.62 projectile? I assume this would first require having the 16s' barrel O.D. being equal to the 17s'. I am aware if this is even possible it would destroy the chrome lining and that's fine, there are other bore treatments available. Does anyone know if the 16s and 17s have the same barrel O.D. as this would be a good starting point. I know Midwest Gun Works had a custom 16s .300blk at the 2015 Shot Show and it got me to wondering. I also know that the .300blk is NOT as simple as swapping the barrel and requires bolt carrier lightening and a different recoil spring to cycle properly. I do not like the HDD .300blk conversion and wouldn't necessarily even trust the company. Just curious here, anyone have any ideas or input? Thanks...

MGW 16s .300blk
View attachment 36817

#3 ·
I'm certainly not holding my breath for FNH USA to do anything which is why I might be interested in doing the mod myself if it's possible. Reaming the chamber shouldn't be much of an issue, line boring the barrel to 7.62 could be if there's not enough "meat" on the OEM 16s barrel. I'm going to go suppressed one way or the other, having a suppressor shooting supersonic 5.56 rounds seems a rather self-defeating purpose to me. I'd much prefer to shoot a subsonic round and have the rifle actually cycle which a subsonic 5.56/SCAR combo will not!

#4 ·
Reaming a barrel is probably not all you would have to do. I would think modifying the gas block would be order as well. All in all modifying a scar 16 seems like too much work and money to get 300blk in the platform reliably. If it were me I would just buy a 300blk barrel assembly from someone like hdd and take my chances it would work well.

#6 ·
No doubt, it's not just a simple barrel mod. If you look at the MGW photo, it looks like that's a standard SCAR gas block to me, maybe playing with some gas screws would be needed too. I know it'll also require bolt carrier lightening as I indicated in the OP. As for HDD, I read and see things that lead me not to trust the company and their .300blk conversion has its own gas block necessitating a different front BUIS which I will not even entertain. The pertinent question for those who own both a 17s and 16s along with an accurate measuring tool, what is the O.D. of each barrel, are they the same?

#9 ·
17 OD .670
16 OD .590

I would suggest finding a spare 16 barrel, strip it, and have someone profile a barrel in 300BLK, or wait for FN, or go to another platform. I would not attempt a barrel relining since it needs to be over bored for the liner and it would be paper thin in the end.

my .02

Reactions: SeaMac
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.