FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if these posts are not allowed, but working for a gun shop will sometimes lead to interesting news. I was looking for a SCAR 16s for a friend through distribution channels and none of them show any active listings as if the gun is not being produced or sold to the general public. Well I call around to RSR Group, Lipsey's, and Davidson's and I'm told by reps that the gun has in fact been discontinued.

One of my reps actually called his FN representative and was told the gun was no longer going to be offered for consumer sales, LE or Mil only. I called FN and was told to check back after the first of the year as they are still importing them in small batches, but according to other posts on here, the last of the Belgian ones should have already been sold. Has anyone else in the industry heard any news regarding the 16s? I would really hate to see these guns to go the way of the FS2000...

·
Registered
672 Posts
Good question. Many dealers are stating such in their sales and auction ads.
A new FDE 16 just sold for ridiculous money on GB after being advertised as discontinued.
I was just hoping there was a delay getting the US models into production. FN does list the US 16 product codes on the website
Hopefully we can get an accurate answer.
I guess the 16 pistol I dream about is getting less likely now

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That's my hope as well regarding the US production delay. I'm hoping its just them updating the SKUs and such to show they are US made like they did with the 17s. But from what I'm hearing from company reps, it's not looking hopeful until I hear or see something otherwise.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Damn, thats a bummer they are being discontinued. I would like to purchase a 16 in the future, but it sounds like they wont be around when im ready to drop that kind of cash on the firearm. Im still recouping from the 17 in July

Reactions: dhoover1027

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As I said, I'm going off what the Distributors are telling me. FN is saying it is not true if you call them, but my reps have closer ties than me to FN, so at this point I'm just waiting and watching...

·
Registered
596 Posts
I've been perusing Gunbroker.com, prices don't seem out of line...yet. Since I already have a SCAR 16, I don't need another. Still, what a shame!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Why ?
would a corporation tool up the plant in Columbia to make the SCAR 16 here in the US only to discontinue it.
It seems to me that’s a pretty big expense to waste for a product that buyers wait for the LGS to get it inventory so they can
buy it.
Makes no sense to me, but maybe only me.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Why ?
would a corporation tool up the plant in Columbia to make the SCAR 16 here in the US only to discontinue it.
It seems to me that’s a pretty big expense to waste for a product that buyers wait for the LGS to get it inventory so they can
buy it.
Makes no sense to me, but maybe only me.
So have there actually been any SC made 16s? If so, then I have to agree with dhoover, makes no sense and makes me question this rumor. If none have been then it is probably true.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To my knowledge and speaking to several other LGS, I’ve not seen or heard of any SC produced/assembled (whatever FN says it is) 16s. I agree that it wouldn’t make sense that they would tool up production and then discontinue them, but as I said, I’m going off what distribution companies are telling me and what they have heard passed along. FN is still saying that it isn’t true, but I’ve heard conflicting reports from my reps who said they talked to FN and heard something different. As of today however, they are still not being listed as for purchase to LGS, and I’ve confirmed this with several other shops.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
grabagun just sent me they have black 16 back in stock.
Would be nice to know if they are the US made ones or not. The minute I see them back in stock or even updated sale postings with distributors, I will request that this post be deleted. I am merely passing info along that I've been seeing or hearing because on my end and other for LGS, we can't even order them because they haven't been listed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
82 Posts
My 17 I just picked up is a US marked one. I've been calling around trying to find a store with one in stock and verify if I can find any SC produced/assembled Scar 16s...
All current 16S SCARs are Belgium made, there are those that were VA or SC assembled. However, FN might be no longer importing the 16S and resort to US made only.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All current 16S SCARs are Belgium made, there are those that were VA or SC assembled. However, FN might be no longer importing the 16S and resort to US made only.
Could explain the lack of availability or why they are saying "discontinued". At this point I'm just waiting and watching. If I see or hear good news, I'll request a mod to delete/lock this post as not to continue stirring the pot.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts