FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't want a 10" barrel having less than zero use for one nor does it fit with my PoU, just wanted to make that clear and get it out of the way. <<< this translates to, I don't want to hear about or discuss your 10" SBR. I'm really.....right proud and happy for you, leave it at that please! :Blah: :NO: :mrgreen: :)

I have taken measurements, confirmed those measurements and concluded I CAN fit a factory 14" barrel with a pinned & welded Surefire SF3P-556-1/2-28 flash hider and be legal. Therefore, appeasing those who would seek to determine otherwise and thusly incarcerate thou. Previously I thought this impossible although I neglected to include timing shims which has absolutely put the finished assembly at 16.125" minimum and this at below freezing temperatures. This revelation pleases me to no end, no SBR BS, no notifying ANYONE when/where I plan travel with my 16s, F'n WIN WIN! That $200 now goes towards a suppressor stamp. :shock: F'n WIN WIN AGAIN!

I'm not concerned much with Surefire disputing any warranty issues with a pin & weld FH/adapter/suppressor combo, clearly they machined that blind hole for a reason. I have done a cursory search via the interwebs and find $950 w/free shipping and no tax to be reasonable. Anyone know of anyplace that I can purchase this barrel cheaper? I will have it shipped to my FFL where he'll store it until my 'smith has the opportunity to do his thing. Thanks... :?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Maybe I do not understand but why spend around 1100$ for what 1.5" shorter barrel? Why dont you just ship your 16 inch off to get cut to 14 whatever so you wont be splitting hairs on length. Could save some money

·
Registered
674 Posts
Maybe I do not understand but why spend around 1100$ for what 1.5" shorter barrel? Why dont you just ship your 16 inch off to get cut to 14 whatever so you wont be splitting hairs on length. Could save some money
I'm not tracking either, why go through the trouble & expense of pinning and welding a perfectly good flash hider to a perfectly good barrel. I'd gladly pay for the stamp and be done with it.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let me help both of you "understand & track" the concept of a 14" barrel sans SBR Stamp. First, the 16s was NEVER intended to use a 16" barrel, in its standard configuration as issued to the 75th it sported a 14" as does the M4. Second, if you cut a chrome lined barrel you run the risk of chrome flaking at the now cut muzzle. I don't care how good you are at cutting, the risk is there and in time a problem can arise rendering the modified barrel useless AND worthless. Third, and to me the MOST important, if traveling the SBR route you SHALL notify in ADVANCE the BATFE with any travel arrangements you intend to make with your SBR. SCREW that, the Govt. intrudes too much as it is in our privacy, I do not fancy the idea of having to notify anyone my plans for travel. All the above is moot since this is how I chose to have my 16s configured, not to be rude or inconsiderate here, but I did not ask for anyone's opinion on my choice just assistance in seeking the lowest price........but thank you anyway.

I'm not tracking either, why go through the trouble & expense of pinning and welding a perfectly good flash hider to a perfectly good barrel. I'd gladly pay for the stamp and be done with it.

Reactions: Smokeshow60

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Have you contacted Stryker for assistance, guessing you already have but just in case? Please keep this updated, considering a similar build.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have spoken to Jim in the past about this, he was honest in telling me that he may not be able to offer the lowest price. I will however inquire again to see if that's changed.

Have you contacted Stryker for assistance, guessing you already have but just in case? Please keep this updated, considering a similar build.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's what I'm seeing too, thanks HBJ! :?

I paid 950 free shipping for both 17 and 16 barrel from botach and that was cheapest I could find at the time

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Figured that may be the case but thought he may be able to put the whole package together for similar $$$.

I have spoken to Jim in the past about this, he was honest in telling me that he may not be able to offer the lowest price. I will however inquire again to see if that's changed.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's what I'm thinking too, there's the distinct possibility he could be competitive with the completed assembly and I'd prefer to keep the money and business "in house" so to speak. :mrgreen:

Figured that may be the case but thought he may be able to put the whole package together for similar $$$.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I haven't seen new 14" barrel assemblies below the $950 price mark. I've seen them used for around $700-800 bucks. Depending on whether you are willing to purchase a used barrel you could save a couple hundred bucks.

·
Registered
674 Posts
You only have to notify the BATFE when traveling out of state and its a pretty benign process. There are some who submit the form everywhere and list a bunch of states and a broad range of time they will be traveling. I wouldn't let that minor issue prevent me from SBRing the gun, but to each their own.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As benign as it may be, I'd prefer not to go the SBR route, my travel plans can change in an instant. I'd simply prefer to send the ATF $200 for a suppressor stamp.

You only have to notify the BATFE when traveling out of state and its a pretty benign process. There are some who submit the form everywhere and list a bunch of states and a broad range of time they will be traveling. I wouldn't let that minor issue prevent me from SBRing the gun, but to each their own.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If it can be avoided, I'd rather not buy used.

I haven't seen new 14" barrel assemblies below the $950 price mark. I've seen them used for around $700-800 bucks. Depending on whether you are willing to purchase a used barrel you could save a couple hundred bucks.

·
Registered
674 Posts
As benign as it may be, I'd prefer not to go the SBR route, my travel plans can change in an instant. I'd simply prefer to send the ATF $200 for a suppressor stamp.
See my post on your thread in the 16s sub forum. Considering you need to pay a smith to pin and weld, along with short e-file wait times and the fact the pinning can void your warranty, I'd strongly reconsider your current plan.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No reconsideration in order, there's no issue with warranty from Surefire or FNH since I'll keep the 16" bbl. A great many manufacturers pin & weld to include but not limited to LWRC, it is a common practice. In as much as I humanly can, the intent is to configure my 16s as near to original design as possible, the civilian 16" bbl is not nor has it ever been part of that design.

See my post on your thread in the 16s sub forum. Considering you need to pay a smith to pin and weld, along with short e-file wait times and the fact the pinning can void your warranty, I'd strongly reconsider your current plan.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My mind was made up long before I penned the original post. I'd much rather spend $200 on a suppressor stamp, ammo etc than SBR BS. Although I did just get scare as to where measurements are taken, bolt face vs breech face, in either case I'm still fine and legal.

Seems like your mind is made up. Grabagun has great deals on scar barrels
FN USA SCAR 16S Barrel 223REM 14-inch Online Gun Store
I have seen them discount a 14" up to 685$

1 - 20 of 30 Posts