FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a couple of parts for my SCAR 16S. MGW is sold out on the recoil spring, but I saw the spring, guiderod and the end plate assemblies all sold separately.

I am not at home in front of the gun - but how hard is it to take the guiderod assembly apart and replace the spring, if it ever needed it. Spring by itself is pretty cheap....

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
I found it to be pretty easy, retract the spring (which can be done by hand), slide the guide rod down the end plate buffer to the notch and the rod will come off the end plate buffer. Hold on to the spring and rod once separated from the end plate buffer or the spring and rod will fly across the room. :wink:

Slide new spring on the guide rod and reverse steps.

Reactions: ShipWreck

·
Registered
15,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The entire assembly may be easier, but I looked 2x. I don't see a complete assembly listed at MGW right now.... Any idea who else has this complete assembly?

How often does the spring need to be changed? Anyone know?

I went ahead and ordered a complete piston assembly and a spare firing pin. Been meaning to get those for like a year now.

·
Registered
15,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found it to be pretty easy, retract the spring (which can be done by hand), slide the guide rod down the end plate buffer to the notch and the rod will come off the end plate buffer. Hold on to the spring and rod once separated from the end plate buffer or the spring and rod will fly across the room. :wink:

Slide new spring on the guide rod and reverse steps.

Thanks! :)

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
How often does the spring need to be changed? Anyone know?
I ordered new springs for both my 16 and 17 along with new pistons, gas regulator plugs, and a few other small parts. I have lost count after 5k on my 16 and I have no way to test spring compression or tension but by feel and function I haven't seen a need to replace either rifles recoil springs yet.

I would keep a spare but as long as you don't store the rifle with the bolt locked back and spring compressed the spring should not need to be replaced till you have a large number of rounds through it.

My .02 anyway.

·
Registered
15,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, thanks. That would likely be the only other spare part I may buy in the future. I don't wanna drop a ton of cash. A spare bolt assembly is just too much money. I think I read the piston is good for about 5k before the rings wear out... I just thought I'd get those 2 parts for now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.