FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is is possible to build a scar 16 pistol? If so, where can I get the parts?

I did some research but a lot of the information is old or not there. I did find hi-desertdog sells a scar pistol build but its for LE only, and haven't heard great things about hi-desertdog anyways. I also tried a search in this forum but not much turned up.

I'm thinking about building one but my problem is the upper reciever and finding a "pistol stock".

I don't mind if the whole build costs as much as a new SCAR as I live in CA and a pistol build is the closests thing I can get to a SBR.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
No, once the receiver is registered as a rifle you can not register it as a pistol, you can go the other way ( not in CA) pistol to SBR or rifle but not the rifle to pistol.

Plus I believe you your going to have even more issues in CA due to the "features" laws out there.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Ya good luck with that in CA!!!

If you take the butt-stock off and put just a back cap from Voltr AR stock or my AR "back cap". Through on a 10" barrel and you have your pistol...

Is is possible to build a scar 16 pistol? If so, where can I get the parts?

I did some research but a lot of the information is old or not there. I did find hi-desertdog sells a scar pistol build but its for LE only, and haven't heard great things about hi-desertdog anyways. I also tried a search in this forum but not much turned up.

I'm thinking about building one but my problem is the upper reciever and finding a "pistol stock".

I don't mind if the whole build costs as much as a new SCAR as I live in CA and a pistol build is the closests thing I can get to a SBR.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So there is no way to get just an upper reciever thats not registered as a rifle?

What other features are you talking about? I know about the bullet button and riflegear near me sells the bullet button kit for the scar.

No, once the receiver is registered as a rifle you can not register it as a pistol, you can go the other way ( not in CA) pistol to SBR or rifle but not the rifle to pistol.

Plus I believe you your going to have even more issues in CA due to the "features" laws out there.

Do you mean the VLTOR Scar butstock adapter and just cutoff the the AR stock extenstion?

If you take the butt-stock off and put just a back cap from Voltr AR stock or my AR "back cap". Through on a 10" barrel and you have your pistol...

·
Registered
30 Posts
The receiver is the serial numbered part for the gun and only comes from the factory as an assembled rifle. FN requires you to send the gun back to them for any extensive repair work. Unfortunately, it's not like the AR marker where you can hot swap parts out as needed/wanted from the supply on the civilian market. It's pretty much what Talhoffer put out originally. I would say give it time, but as long as FN holds the patent for their design, I doubt you'll feel seeing any 3rd party "blank" receivers anytime soon at all. Sorry to be a buzz kill for you.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hi Desert Dog talks about them and has them for Law Enforcement. After further reading they don't say it is fully restricted to LE and that they are NIB registered as handguns. Buy at your own risk unless they provide good paperwork.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Renmark: Yea, I saw that in my search. I guess that's the only option as of now. But they are out of stock at the moment :\\/:

Is it legal to have an LE friend buy it off hi desert dog then have it transferred to me?

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
I wouldn't touch that with a 100 foot pole.

Reactions: STL

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wouldn't touch that with a 100 foot pole.
Strongly agree. As previously mentioned with the serialized receiver not being available as a new part from FN, it's impossible to prove that it wasn't built first as a rifle, which disqualifies it from being built as a pistol...which, in civilian hands, would leave the above from Desert Dog as unregistered AOWs, a very bad thing to be.

On the LE friend- why would a firearm that you aren't allowed to purchase new be something your friend could transfer to you used?

·
Registered
4,907 Posts

Not without going through ATF first.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Im going to say NO, according to the ATF you cant go from a rifle to a pistol. Its not like a AR, FN makes the rifles and sells them as rifles. AR's there so much after market that buying a stripped lower you can add the pistol buffer tube and when you buy it have it put under as a pistol. Then you can go from Pistol, to rifle, back to pistol. But you cannot go from rifle to pistol, just one of those odd ATF rules.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Im going to say NO, according to the ATF you cant go from a rifle to a pistol. Its not like a AR, FN makes the rifles and sells them as rifles. AR's there so much after market that buying a stripped lower you can add the pistol buffer tube and when you buy it have it put under as a pistol. Then you can go from Pistol, to rifle, back to pistol. But you cannot go from rifle to pistol, just one of those odd ATF rules.
Just to clarify-The stripped lower has to be virgin, Never assembled into rifle configuration.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh well that sucks. I guess I'll do an SBR if or when I move to another state. Thanks for all the replys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts