FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off my Scar 16s is well used. I run it suppressed and recently put an acr stock on it with a metal backplate. The other day I noticed my rear screws were loose and that they were canted. I removed the rear screws and noticed the receiver holes has begun to oval out. It is very concerning for me and I am reaching out for help to remedy this problem if possible and if my receiver is damaged to the point that it will only get worse.
I ordered new screws in the mean time and I am going back to my boot stock. I also ordered loctite 603. Any help is appreciated
Gas Tints and shades Font Bumper Space

Wood Tints and shades Pattern Wood stain Gas

Wood Bicycle part Audio equipment Machine Nickel

·
Vendor
1,898 Posts
I would not worry. Snug the screws up, and check them occasionally. In theory, the load bearing surface should be the conical head against the countersunk surface, which is loads of bearing area. It is only if the screws come loose that the threaded shaft of the screw starts getting load, which will ovalize your holes. So I think your answer of new screws and loctite should take care of it.

I know the issue of ovalized holes has been around for a while, and I have relatively little experience, so I won't fall on my sword over this answer, but neither would I worry excessively.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I would not worry. Snug the screws up, and check them occasionally. In theory, the load bearing surface should be the conical head against the countersunk surface, which is loads of bearing area. It is only if the screws come loose that the threaded shaft of the screw starts getting load, which will ovalize your holes. So I think your answer of new screws and loctite should take care of it.

I know the issue of ovalized holes has been around for a while, and I have relatively little experience, so I won't fall on my sword over this answer, but neither would I worry excessively.
Thanks Art I appreciate it, I ordered a set from you.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
This has been a frequent issue when users go with an aftermarket stock that utilizes a metal back/end plate. It's been assumed that polymer in the OEM boot stock plate helps absorb and distribute recoil. Where as the metal plate does the opposite and causes havoc, particularly with those receiver screws.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
In addition if you haven't tuned your gas jet down from the OEM jet you might want to look into that. Running it suppressed with that ACR business probably compounded the issue.

Although, most suppressor related issues seem to be more isolated to the 17s.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In addition if you haven't tuned your gas jet down from the OEM jet you might want to look into that. Running it suppressed with that ACR business probably compounded the issue.

Although, most suppressor related issues seem to be more isolated to the 17s.
I ordered the 3 position gas regulator. And some jets. Looking to see if that will tame this 16. As soon as my screws arrive from Art, I will apply loctite 603 and torque them down. Hopefully that will solve my issues.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you're going to keep the acr stock you may want to look into something like a padded buffer. I know mototech offers one. Personally I stick with the OEM stocks so I've never had to go to an aftermarket buffer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts