FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where has everyone engraved their SBR? I have contacted a few local companies and they said there are very few areas it can be done. Couldn't find many pictures while searching, if you have some, please post! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Where do you live? If you live near me I have a place for you :)

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I had Photon Engraving do mine, they did a nice job with a quick turnaround. It's on the left side above the bolt release.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I live in Northern Virginia. Are you referring to Photon Engraving in Manassas? How much did you pay?

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'm having mine done at a trophy shop, I decided I would rather not send it out... But my googlefu revealed these when I was looking around...

This one was done by Simmons LE, initially I was going to go with them:
SCAR-Engraving.jpg
This one was done by Ident, It's a bit more discreet but I don't ever plan on selling mine so I really don't care:
ENGRAVING.jpg

I think some people have also used Orion...

·
Registered
476 Posts
I've heard some say that the barrel is a no go... others say that they have done it... Once it's on a form already doesn't that engraving have to stay with the gun? Would there be any advantage of engraving a barrel outside of trying to make it somewhat inconspicuous?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I live in Northern Virginia. Are you referring to Photon Engraving in Manassas? How much did you pay?
Yes, they weren't the cheapest around, I think around $75 maybe?

To to me the big thing was the turnaround. I shipped both my SCAR uppers to them Tuesday and had them back Friday. I didn't want them laying around for a long time, which seemed to be standard a year ago.

You can engrave the barrel, but remember it must be visible without taking the weapon apart, so on a 10" barrel that isn't gonna happen.

·
Vendor
1,774 Posts
Laser is only a few thou deep, so it does not meet the original ATF requirements, but I was under the impression the requirements had been modified since laser came on the market, and laser was acceptible.

By the way, that laser on the table would give fits to OSHA. The beam has to be masked, because even the reflections could blind you.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Laser is only a few thou deep, so it does not meet the original ATF requirements, but I was under the impression the requirements had been modified since laser came on the market, and laser was acceptible.

By the way, that laser on the table would give fits to OSHA. The beam has to be masked, because even the reflections could blind you.

That laser can cut up to 3mm thick material, you are supposed to run a laser safe type room with an open laser.

·
Registered
841 Posts
The (required) information must be engraved, casted, stamped (impressing) or otherwise conspicuously placed or caused to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size of the Serial number shall be no smaller than 1/16 inch.

Laser is good, .003 inch is basically anything that's going to be visible.

As I understand it, basically the rule is that it needs to be permanent and visible. :)

·
Vendor
1,774 Posts
I just talked to X-Treme Shooting products in Batavia (Cincinnati), Ohio. They just bought a laser to engrave their parts, and will do engraving as outside work. He was thinking in the $50 to $75 range. They do not have a 4th axis, so engraving on barrels needs to be small enough to stay in the focal length of the laser, otherwise they do flat surfaces.

Contact is Tom Myers X-Treme Shooting - Contact

X-Treme make 2-stage triggers for Rem 700 and clones, and just won the military contract to supply triggers as part of the Precision Sniper Rifle program.

Art

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Art,

Can't thank you enough for the lead.

I just talked to X-Treme Shooting products in Batavia (Cincinnati), Ohio. They just bought a laser to engrave their parts, and will do engraving as outside work. He was thinking in the $50 to $75 range. They do not have a 4th axis, so engraving on barrels needs to be small enough to stay in the focal length of the laser, otherwise they do flat surfaces.

Contact is Tom Myers X-Treme Shooting - Contact

X-Treme make 2-stage triggers for Rem 700 and clones, and just won the military contract to supply triggers as part of the Precision Sniper Rifle program.

Art

Regards,
BigBuckeyeGuy!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm getting a 10" factory when the paperwork comes back. Has anyone engraved on the gas block since it would be visible and permanently attached to barrel? Or is this a no go since it's not the barrel?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Any recommendations on where to get engraving done in Southern GA, or Northern FL?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts