FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 16s, and I also have a Surefire SOCOM supressor (short barrel version) waiting on approval from the kind folks at the ATF. So as you can see by my supressor choice, I am considering doing the 10" SBR; however, I'm hesitant to go this route because of the velocity loss. Does the 10" barrel mean that I'd need to stock up on something like PDX1 .223, Federal Tactical, and the like VS all the XM193 I already own? Seems like if I go SBR with the 16s, then I'd want to get a second rifle to supplement. Or are the barrels so easy to change on the SCAR that I could switch on a whim? I'm thinking the two rifle route is best since the SBR would be too much of a pain to travel with becaise of NFA requirements and varying state restrictions.

So my questions for all you 16s SBR owners with supressors are:

1. What ammo do you stockpile for it?
  2. Is your intended use mainly for home defense or is it more for fun at the gun range (I know it can be both, but what's your foremost reasoning)?
  3. Do you intentionally have a second rifle for less-restricted travel with your can?
  4. Having made your 16s SBR at the cost of about a grand for the extra barrel, in hindsight would you have rather gone with a Tavor or a factory-built SBR like a Sig?

My thinking right now is leaning toward doing the SBR "because I 'can'" (pun), and then getting a SCAR 17s for anything beyond CQB.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'd SBR it no questions asked. The cool thing about the SCAR is that if you get a spare barrel assembly (10.5"), changing them takes like 2' with the right tool. So you could keep the 10.5" on, and upon traveling flipping to the default one. I have a 14.5" and a 10.5" which I use with suppressor, the SCAR is probably one of the few pseudo-service rifles that offers end-users this capability (correct me if I'm wrong).

I would not know if the SBR has some ammo-specific issues. Mine spits everything like a charm. Running it suppressed is a blast. Recoil down to Zero and is just plain fun. Ammo velocity loss is more of an issue on paper if you ask me. let's be honest, when will it ever really make a difference? if the velocity delta is that much of an issue, go for the SBR and get a 17 as well :) less V but a whole more Joules to make up for it!

have fun!

·
Banned
69 Posts
I have a 16s, and I also have a Surefire SOCOM supressor (short barrel version) waiting on approval from the kind folks at the ATF. So as you can see by my supressor choice, I am considering doing the 10" SBR; however, I'm hesitant to go this route because of the velocity loss. Does the 10" barrel mean that I'd need to stock up on something like PDX1 .223, Federal Tactical, and the like VS all the XM193 I already own? Seems like if I go SBR with the 16s, then I'd want to get a second rifle to supplement. Or are the barrels so easy to change on the SCAR that I could switch on a whim? I'm thinking the two rifle route is best since the SBR would be too much of a pain to travel with becaise of NFA requirements and varying state restrictions.

So my questions for all you 16s SBR owners with supressors are:

1. What ammo do you stockpile for it?
  2. Is your intended use mainly for home defense or is it more for fun at the gun range (I know it can be both, but what's your foremost reasoning)?
  3. Do you intentionally have a second rifle for less-restricted travel with your can?
  4. Having made your 16s SBR at the cost of about a grand for the extra barrel, in hindsight would you have rather gone with a Tavor or a factory-built SBR like a Sig?

My thinking right now is leaning toward doing the SBR "because I 'can'" (pun), and then getting a SCAR 17s for anything beyond CQB.

Do not cut your barrel, save it for longer range hunting, to squeeze a couple hundred more FPS out of ammo, or to just stretch it's legs while at the range and compare side by side the 2 barrels. You do not loose a god awful velocity going down to 10" and there is ammo now made with faster burning powders with short barrels in mind Thanks to home loading tinkers, Quantico, and others.. Bullet design also. There are no issues especially on the SCAR platform going to 10".

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
I have toyed with the idea of sbr, right now-- not going to. I have a ps90 sbr, and others that are about same size. I left my 16, 17 as is, as they are more accurate and I don't want to mess with 1000, when i could buy another gun. maybe someday for the 16, but doubtful for the 17-- if anything I may add 20 barrel to the 17.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Do not cut your barrel, save it for longer range hunting, to squeeze a couple hundred more FPS out of ammo, or to just stretch it's legs while at the range and compare side by side the 2 barrels. You do not loose a god awful velocity going down to 10" and there is ammo now made with faster burning powders with short barrels in mind Thanks to home loading tinkers, Quantico, and others.. Bullet design also. There are no issues especially on the SCAR platform going to 10".
Completely agree DO NOT cut your barrel. Get the FN 10" barrel kit and a Seekonk BT-2L @ 62 in-lbs T handle torque wrench. I have your exact setup. I have a Surefire Socom MB on the 16" barrel and a Surefire Socom flash hider on the 10" barrel. I have the two Surefire cans that I use on it. The SOCOM556-RC and SOCOM556-MINI. The SOCOM556-RC on the 10" and 16" are much better at suppressing and minimizing blow back. Though if I'm shooting and scooting on a course the Mini can is what I use. Now lets get to your question about ammo! I've honestly found no difference between the 10" and 16" barrel in 50 meter accuracy with M855 or M193. When I get out to 100 meters the 16" barrel is more accurate if I am shooting bench rest. Though I don't typically shoot bench rest with Scar because lets face it it's not a bench rest rifle. So if I'm shooting at 100 meters it mostly going to be from a standing position, prone, etc. and the accuracy between the 16" and 10" is negligible. If you are worried about velocity loss you shouldn't because it only matters if you are shooting 250+ meters out. Personally I haven't change my 10" barrel out in over a year. The only reason I put the 16" on it for 3 gun comps that require it.
1) I stockpile M855 and M193
2) Gun range because shooting a 5.56 rifle indoors without hearing protection is going to blow your ear drums out.
3) I fly Delta and fly with NFA items to my PA summer house(I fill out the BATFE travel papers every year). If I am driving going to another state it's for a long range shooting comp so I have a different non-NFA gun sometimes I take a suppressor, it depends where I'm going.
4) Yes I purchased the extra 10" barrel. I have no hindsight because I collect guns especially NFA guns and have you name it. It's my hobby. I love shooting & gun smithing.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I SBR'ed my SCAR 16 a few years ago and heres my observations, same as any other 5.56 gun. A 2 lb can on the end of 16" sucks, balance is a lot better with the barrel at 10". Bullet selection and shot placement trump barrel length and velocity any day of the week, on everything whitetail sized on down. Ive taken big midwestern deer with 10" guns and MK318 projectiles, Winchester PP, Nosler BSB, and Nosler Ballistic Tip (60 gr). Its a handy gun for ***** and coyotes at night. Get the stamp, buy a 10", and sell the 16" to help recoup costs or get a 14" if you want a long barrel that will collect dust anyways.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
1. Soft point ammo. It will expand and doesn't rely on fragmentation. I don't need to stockpile a ton of it, enough for a few mags.
2. HD.
3. Nope.
4. Yep, I'd get a bullpup as you still have enough velocity for your M193 type ammo.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Why the Surefire SOCOM SB? Surefire SOCOM RC is good to go on a 10" 16s, RCs are used on Mk18s and when I asked a Surefire rep about this combo, the RC was recommended.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why the Surefire SOCOM SB? Surefire SOCOM RC is good to go on a 10" 16s, RCs are used on Mk18s and when I asked a Surefire rep about this combo, the RC was recommended.
The SB - only difference I can find is a larger endcap and internal chamber to reduce the possibility of baffle strikes with unstable ammunition, especially in a short barrel application. Sure the RC version is just fine, but Surefire created the SB version for a reason - maybe in SHTF or in some situations you won't have access to the best ammo, and this will reduce the chance to muck up your can. Personally I bought it for peace of mind and because it was different. It's a little louder than the RC, but not by much.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
The SB - only difference I can find is a larger endcap and internal chamber to reduce the possibility of baffle strikes with unstable ammunition, especially in a short barrel application. Sure the RC version is just fine, but Surefire created the SB version for a reason - maybe in SHTF or in some situations you won't have access to the best ammo, and this will reduce the chance to muck up your can. Personally I bought it for peace of mind and because it was different. It's a little louder than the RC, but not by much.
The SB was also designed to reduce back pressure / over gassing - and reduce cyclic rate

To give a visual - look at the close up slo-mo and lack of bolt bounce ... non suppressed:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Sure the RC version is just fine, but Surefire created the SB version for a reason - maybe in SHTF or in some situations you won't have access to the best ammo, and this will reduce the chance to muck up your can.
Their reason was for barrels shorter than 10", but as long as you're happy it's all good.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
On the Surefire site the verbiage for this ^ is the same between the RC and SB.
Correct - but when your a BIG company like SF/AAC - both of which were awarded to provide suppressors to USSOCOM units .... they can tune the suppressor to the weapon system i.e the SOCOM designation SF used after contract award.... additional porting/venting to the inside (guts) of the baffles - endcap change between versions etc....may seem minor to you and I or more cosmetic ... but I am pretty sure this was done at behest of the customer (SOCOM)

·
Registered
674 Posts
Their product description says that OR when using longer barrels and firing unstable ammunition.
True, but considering professional face shooters are using them on their Mk18s and putting a metric **** ton of rounds through them with aSurefire RCs on, I'm pretty sure any issues with a 10" barrel & the RC a would have shown up (and been corrected). Like I said, SB should be good to go and if you happen to buy a PDW style AR you can run the can on it as well.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
True, but considering professional face shooters are using them on their Mk18s and putting a metric **** ton of rounds through them with aSurefire RCs on, I'm pretty sure any issues with a 10" barrel & the RC a would have shown up (and been corrected). Like I said, SB should be good to go and if you happen to buy a PDW style AR you can run the can on it as well.
Makes sense. And I'll enjoy the peace of mind that I won't blow a bullet into an endcap that's not replaceable. Basically the SB seemed like the idiot-proof version of the RC, and heck if I need all the idiot-proofing I can get.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts