FN Herstal Firearms banner

SCAR 16s vs AR-15 piston vs HK G36

18K views 29 replies 25 participants last post by  JDW67 
#1 ·
I want to start by saying that I have a 17s and I can't think of a better 308 platform to be on.

I'm ready to add 223 to the mix and I'm just a bit torn.

What do you guys think:

16s
LWRC IC
PWS MK114
Updated Sig 516 Carbon
HK MR557
HK G36...civilian version about to come out
Maybe LMT

It's a tough call. I'm attached to FN but also, maybe, want to venture out.

What do you guys think?

#2 ·
What kind of question is that? The Scar 16 of course! :-D or all of them. No middle ground here. I believe the 16 is one of the lightest weight offerings of all of your list and the reliability of the 16 is not to be trifled with.

Reactions: pjmarshake
#3 ·
I'm struggling with the exact same question with the exact same list. However, I think I'm going to buy another 17 first. I've acquired many spare parts, a couple to go still, and the aluminum lower from Sargent Stryker when it comes available. A second one and all these spare parts is a true weapons platform. I'll only have the cost of the rifle since I've accumulated everything else. I'm leaning towards the scar 17 for the next .556. The Beretta ARX is coming out too. However, I would like a thicker barrel, and no gas rings. The polymer lower doesn't concern me on a .556 caliber as it does with the 762 nato though. However, I think the polymer lower is up to the task, it's just an old school mind set I guess. It's a tough decision, but there are so many compatible parts between 16 and 17 I lean towards scar. Plus, only the LMT and the new Beretta have interchangeable barrels. I've not heard much about LMT's piston either, it's still fairly new, and most of the hoopla seems to be over their direct gas. So all that considered, the scar 16 seems to be the best choice. But I personally have some time to think about it before I'm purchasing.

#4 ·
I will start off by saying the only FN I have is the FNP45 which I love. I checked this part of the forum as I have only handled the 16 and 17 at gun shops, in list I must add. for the

That being said, while I truly admire the SCAR design, I would thing you could build a fine 223/AR15, or possibly piston driven for the same money with the exact components you want and have a fine weapon.

#5 ·
I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for, especially as it pertains to guns. But anything HK will have a high dollar amount attached to it, and the LWRCi is right on HK's pack tray in that respect. Both companies make a fabulously constructed rifle, though. From your list, the PWS Mk 114 offers the best bang for your buck though I would ask you to check out Ruger's SR556 piston carbine as well.

#6 ·
I previously had a LWRC m6a3 on an extending borrow. Now having several SCAR 16s no question I would take the scar platform over any AR style piston rifle. Weight savings, folding stock, pleasurable shooting experience, proven platform from a company that provides arms to our warriors. What is there not to like?

#7 ·
SCAR because:

-from the ground up piston system, unlike bandaid-fix-piston-kits/changing DI designs to work with pistons (ruger 556, hk416, LWRC)
-mag release can be used with hand on fire control and mags drop free, unlike some bullpups, although desert tech MDR is good to go, until my next point.
-bolt catch and charging handle can be operated one handed to lock bolt back for malfunction clearing, unlike ARs, bullpups, ACRs, XCRs, ARXs. Ever try one handed locking the bolt back on AR? even tricker on ACR, damn near impossible on ARX because bolt catch is inside trigger guard, can't even use your foot like some others.
-easier clearing of bolt override malfunction unlike AR where there is room above bolt, the recoil spring rod takes up some room so this clears simply by relieving pressure off of the bolt. ACR does this better with a recoil spring rod closer to the bolt taking up more said room.
-if you look at the design of the bolt carrier, there is no such thing as carrier tilt.

#8 ·
I don't think you should be surprised by the answers you get on this forum, being that this is fnforum, but here's my 2 cents:

I would discount any AR because the 3rd gen rifles are just better; better engineered, more reliable, and DI sucks.

A piston AR is an AR in most respects, and I've held a bias against them since the early days of widespread carrier tilt problems, cracked lugs, sheared off carrier contact points, etc. From the reading I've been doing they seem to have gotten alot of these issues worked out, but the fact of the matter is that the AR as a baseline system was never designed with a piston in mind, and never will be. I don't think I'll ever be able to get over that, but different strokes and all...

I've got lots of trigger time on the real deal G36. It is a fantastically reliable rifle, and the samples I've fired were neglected by their owners, to say the least. Nevertheless, they seem remarkably well built, and I don't think there is any doubt that HK makes quality parts. On the downside, the G36 suffers from those HK ergos. Everyone in Germany must be 7' tall and have a horse jaw, with fingers about as thin as a No. 2 pencil because that seems to be what the G36's LOP, mechanical offset, and charging handle were designed for. Oh yeah, the selector is a little easier to reach than the blowback legacy rifles, but is that really saying much? But hey, the G36/XM8 is on the cover of Tom Clancy video games, so it is ubercool. Again, reliability is outstanding, but the crap ergos cause the novelty to wear off PDQ.

If I were to buy another EBR that wasn't a SCAR, it would probably be a Sig556xi. Handled them at SHOT and I am very impressed. If properly executed, I can see the xi being a major player in the black rifle market.

#9 ·
Some things to consider when choosing. Reliability, rotating bolt, short stroke piston, ease of maintenance in the field.

#10 ·
If properly executed, I can see the xi being a major player in the black rifle market.
Emphasis mine.

That's a mighty big "if." I love Sig pistols. Their rifles, not so much.

#11 ·
I'd say go for the 16s since you already have the 17s. It cuts down on familiarization; since they shared some parts you can easily replicate your 17s setup on the 16s.

Sig 516 carbon is another good choice. I had a first gen Sig516; it was super reliable (zero failure in several thousands rounds varying from steel to match) and ran clean. The only downside is it's very front heavy but carbon rail should address that issue. However carbon construction might bring it's own issues.

I have some limited exposure to the MR556 (not sure what an MR557 is) and its mil cousin HK416. Frankly I was not very impressed with HK's civy conversion; can't really understand why it cost what it does in terms of value to users. It weights like a pregnant cow (I believe it's the heaviest of all piston ARs?) and there's no discernible accuracy difference between it and any other piston AR. For that much bulk, I would rather move up in caliber to the 308. Also a minor gripe, I dislike the drop angle of the 2nd gen pistol grip. The more "vertical" grip might make sense on a SBR but for a stock 16" barrel I feel the angle of 1st gen TangoDown grip gives me more leverage over the weight up front. IMHO it's also ugly but I will admit it's got a undeniable tacticool factor for being the platform that killed OBL.

I had the rare opportunity to shoot a genuine bundeswehr G36 when I deployed with NTM-A. It felt like a toy gun because it completely covered in polymer. The 16s kinda reminded me of it since they both have folding stocks and look kinda bulky but surprisingly lightweight once you start handling them. The non-reciprocating ambi-CH design is freaking brilliant. The only real cons I can tell from my short time with it are the lack of rail options and non-adjustable skeleton stock. Though I'm sure they will make some design changes for the civilian version that might or might not address those issues. Despite my postive initial impression of HK36, I don't have particularly high expectations for the civy version, because of my negative opinion of MR556 and the fact that HK don't really have a good track record of making civy version of their mil/le long guns.

Can't speak for LWRC or LMT or PWS.

#14 ·
I was in the same boat along with Im sure 99% of this board about a weapon system to buy. I've had my fair share of AR's and wanted something state of the art and decided to go with a 16s. Im happy with my purchase though price wise I could have built a pretty badass AR and a good optic for the price but still very happy with my purchase. I'd say the only other weapon system I could see myself buying would me the HK MR556

#18 ·
You're not going to lose money on either one, but the KAC will command a premium over the Tavor simply from name recognition alone.

#21 ·
You have the 17 so you already know that the SCAR 16 is a great gun and you can't go wrong; I love mine. However, you cannot go wrong with a LWRC either. I had the chance to hold an IC at the local gun show the rifle is smooth. It's light and just feels great to hold. If they weren't overpriced I might have bought it.

#24 ·
I have a G36 conversion and a SPR. I'd go PWS if you want AR Style. The G36 is very close to the SCAR minus over a pound. The downside is the sights need work. If it were a sure thing, I'd wait for the 36. It's like me deciding if I should get a SCAR 16, but what should go to make room. I like rifles that are different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.