FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone that has purchased an FN 13" barrel assy for the SCAR17 noticed any unusual roughness of the travel of the gas piston? I was about to put mine on my SBR but noticed a distinct metal on metal feel when I manually worked the gas piston. I compared it to the piston of the 16" stock barrel and there was a noticeable difference in the ease of travel? Maybe it is one of those "need to work it in" items. Also, has anyone had difficulty in taking off the flash hider on the 13" barrel? I have tried numerous means other than heating and can't get it to budge.

·
Registered
498 Posts
It's probably just because the gas piston rings are new. I would shoot it and if it runs good don't worry about it.

Yes the flash hider on my factory 13" barrel was unbelievably tight, probably over 100ft-lbs. I had to clamp the barrel extension into a vice and heat the flash hider with a torch until it was smoking. I also had to use the AAC 3-prong flash hider tool and a braker bar as the flats on the flash hider didn't provide enough engagement for a crows foot to unthread it.

BLACKOUT™ Flash Hider Tool

·
Registered
757 Posts
Scar 17 - 13" Barrel Gas Piston Roughness

Per son ally I would remove the piston and clean inspect it---make sure the gaps in the rings are staggered. Take clean water in a pitcher, heat the absolute crap out of it in the microwave(until boiling) and soak the FH end of the barrel for a few hours(I actually had to do this a couple of times)---rocksett is water soluble--heat won't do it. Make a block of wood from a good hardwood and drill an appropriate hole (3/4") then half the block, clamp the barrel tight in a bench vise. I said tight! Then crank it off--22mm wrench if I remember right...personally I would avoid putting any pressure at all on the gas block. Try not to mar the original FH--it's worth some dough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: liass44
1 - 6 of 6 Posts