FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks I was wondering if there is any downside shooting the 17 and being a lefty. I was reading on another site about a guy getting a 17 and being a lefty and when shooting from the bench I believe he said hot brass was hitting him in the neck. Ok! let the lefty jokes fly.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Shooting lefty you will def feel more of the concussion than from the other side.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I'm not so much worried about the blast so much as hot brass going down my neck. I guess a different/thicker port buffer might help. There's a new idea maybe, I only want 10% on every sale or maybe a nice NF 2-1/2x10x24. Yeah that'll work. Smilie!!

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Never had any brass hit me from mine when shooting from a bench. In fact I've never had brass hit me from any auto loader, including my old Colt Sporter with no shell deflector. the only issue I have is that blasted hook digging into my cheek. I'm about half a hearbeat away from filling it down.

·
Registered
179 Posts
As a lefty, I never got hit by brass and no back blast because I run a FS. I also never sit next to a SCAR, the PWS comp is really irritating.

Get one you'll love it!

·
Registered
465 Posts
I dont see that being an issue my scar throws the brass like its some sort of competition. It is slightly rearward but mostly off to the side.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have shot a "few" scars lefty and have never been hit by brass
Well then that guy that I read about getting hit in the neck by brass must have a really looong! crooked neck!

I shoot lefty and have zero issues. You'll be fine.
Awesome News,

As a lefty, I never got hit by brass and no back blast because I run a FS. I also never sit next to a SCAR, the PWS comp is really irritating.

Get one you'll love it!
Thanks I'm definitely getting one.

I dont see that being an issue my scar throws the brass like its some sort of competition. It is slightly rearward but mostly off to the side.
I see you've been breaking your new scar in lately.

What he said !
Great news!

·
Registered
282 Posts
No issues at all. I shot mine for the first time in awhile. I always practice lefty and righty on all my platforms and no issues with the SCAR 16/17

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mine does chuck brass at my shoulder and neck depending on the ammo, hot stuff is no problem but SA surplus for example seems sluggish and comes back at me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I only notice Brass hits my right shoulder when firing the 16 lefty without wearing sleeves' this is due to the carbon from the brass leaving black "Cs" or circles on my right shoulder even than it's not really noticeable. I was shooting with the stock is in the 6 position and my right hand grip was way up front. This happened to me when my right grip was to close to if not actually covering the ejection port image.jpg Never let that happen again

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mine does chuck brass at my shoulder and neck depending on the ammo, hot stuff is no problem but SA surplus for example seems sluggish and comes back at me.
I'll have to remember this, Thanks

I only notice Brass hits my right shoulder when firing the 16 lefty without wearing sleeves' this is due to the carbon from the brass leaving black "Cs" or circles on my right shoulder even than it's not really noticeable. I was shooting with the stock is in the 6 position and my right hand grip was way up front. This happened to me when

my right grip was to close to if not actually covering the ejection port View attachment 28386 Never let that happen again
OUCH!! I'll have to watch out for that. Thanks,

·
Registered
660 Posts
As my profile name suggests, I shoot left handed and have no issues at all with the SCAR platform, ACR platform,..... in fact, there are very few rifles that give left-handed shooters brass case ejection issues. There are a few semi-auto shotguns I'd steer clear of, but SCAR rifles will not bother you one bit.

Reactions: d762nato
1 - 19 of 19 Posts