FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The forum seems to have been a little slow lately, probably because everyone is out running their Scars! :x

I thought I would give my current Scar 17 thoughts and see if others had similar or differing experiences and/or opinions...

First off and just to be clear, my FN Scar 17 is the most incredibly awesome, well balanced, lightweight, light recoil, very accurate .308 battle rifle right out of the box for under $3k that has ever been available to American Citizens and some others in what is left of the free world.

You will find very few reports of actual Scar 17 owners who regret their purchase and you will find that invariably the Scar 17 hate is from people who own and love Springfield M1A's, FAL's, G3 clones or perhaps some other full power cartridge battle rifle rifle, but don't actually own a Scar 17. These are all arguably very fine rifles despite being older generation, older technology designs and as such, they are often cheaper, but always heavier, less accurate and heavier with the felt recoil than the Scar 17.

No one single rifle can do everything well. So I would say this about the Scar 17 that sets it apart and above the other battle rifle choices, as far as maximum versatility when hunting deer and medium to large game is a factor, the Scar 17 does more things well than any other rifle for under $3k. It truly spans the gap between an AR-15 and a bolt action deer rifle by replacing them both. My Scar 17 makes all of the other rifles in my small collection obsolete and will continue to do so as I eventually add historical legacy rifles to it like the FAL and M1A (I love my PTR-91, but it ain't no Scar, not even close).

With the aftermarket modification options continuing to increase as the Scar family of FN offerings appears to be here for the long haul, the Scar 17 is the one rifle to have if you can have only one.

Ideally I want a rifle that is so light some weight needs to be added to keep it from floating away.
And I want it to be as quiet as a BB gun and have a ton of cool gadgets and mall ninja crap attached to it. So I will try most anything that promises to "improve" or expand the utility of my Scar 17. Also I tend to have the urge to make my Scar more like other rifles I own because I have grown familiar and comfortable with the way I have them set up.

With that said, here are some mods I have tried and my experiences with them:

I tried the FN brand front rail extender and found it upset the balance and made my Scar 17 feel heavier than it really was. So I removed it. Perhaps I will try again with a lightweight carbon extension someday.

I tried my ACC 7.62 SDN-6 suppressor on it and found the recoil felt like it doubled. So I removed the can and put the OEM brake back on it. For me it was not worth trading some sound suppression for felt recoil because .308 is supersonic and will never be as quiet as my .300 Blackout suppressed. And the light recoil of the Scar 17 with the OEM brake makes me feel like I'm driving a Cadillac rather than firing a .308. So it was very disappointed to learn that no one I know of makes a suppressor adapter with a brake that is approved for use on a Scar 17. Perhaps I will try one someday if someone starts offering one, but for now, no more cans on my Scar 17.

I have found that the more I shoot my Scar 17, the more I fall in love with it just as FN designed it and the less I want to mess with it and simply adapt me to my Scar rather than try so hard to adapt my Scar to me. Also I should add that no other rifle I own is even in the same class as my Scar 17 and realizing this fact makes me feel a little stupid for the urges to make it more like my other lesser class riflers.

I have found a few mods so far that I love and feel like I got more than I paid for:

The Stryker E.A.C.H. charging handle. It was easy to install with no modifications or permanent changes to my Scar 17. I can remove it and re-install the OEM charging handle in minutes if I choose. I really love the convex gripping surfaces and the angle is perfect for working the charging handle under a large scope. The OEM charging handle is functional, but a finger masher when combined with certain optics. A Scar with iron sights or certain red dot sights will work perfectly without this mod. There are other charging handle options. Among them, G&G makes a charging handle for the Scar that does not reciprocate but it adds a good deal of weight and I have not seen on in person.

The VLTOR buttstock. It was easy to install with no modifications or permanent changes to my Scar 17. I can remove it and re-install the OEM buttstock in minutes if I choose. I really love the more convex contour over the more concave OEM contour but there was nothing "wrong" with the OEM buttstock and the Scar will work perfectly without this mod. There are no other similar choices besides the VLTOR that I know of that allow the buttstock to fold, expand and cheek riser to raise which don't add even a single gram of weight to the Scar.

The Striker PMAG style compltely pre-assembled lower. It was easy to install with no modifications or permanent changes to my Scar 17. I can remove it and re-install the OEM lower in seconds if I choose. I prefer to run PMAGS over the OEM mags, they fit my hand sooo much better and I believe I am much faster doing mag swaps with them. But that could be partly due to the Stryker deep flanged lower design. It should be noted that there was nothing "wrong" with the OEM lower and mag combination and the Scar will work perfectly without this mod, albeit slower for me to mag swap. There are a few other brands of lowers that will convert a Scar 17 to run PMAGs but to my knowledge only the Striker brand can be ordered completely assembled thus allowing the OEM lower to remain complete, unmolested and ready to run should the need arise to call on it again. In fact, my Stryker lower is so good that if I ever do plan to go back to using OEM mags, I would order an OEM mag style completely assembled Stryker lower with all the upgrades. I will caution that the choice of aftermarket lower brands is more akin to a religious thing or favorite brands of cars and discussion of this topic can get heated quickly.

The Striker S.O.M.A.R. Mine came pre-installed on my Stryker lower. It is such a big improvement for me as a lefty doing mag swaps with my right hand that I didn't realize what a poor job FN did with the mag release on the OEM lower. My right thumb naturally lands on it every time and actuates it without fail, with or without a full mag in my my hand. I feel sorry for right handed shooters. No I don't really feel sorry because the world is designed for right handers. But the S.O.M.A.R. goes a long way to even that score. I plan to also try the PMM SCAR 16/17 Oversized Magazine Release Button which is similar to see which one I like the best. The Scar will run fine without a larger mag release button, but in timed competitions they should provide a big advantage.

The Geissele trigger. Mine came pre-installed by Striker in my complete Stryker lower. It was a moderate improvement on my Scar 17 because apparently the OEM FN triggers vary widely from Scar to Scar from horrible to adequate. I think I got the luck of the draw and got a decent one so the Geissele was a noticeable improvement rather than a "fix" to something I thought was an unbearable problem. I would have tried the Shooting Sight two stage trigger instead if Stryker had offered it as an option. There are other trigger choices as well such as the Timney. I may still eventually try the Shooting Sight trigger, especially if I start entering some competitions.

Whichever Magpul controls that Stryker offers. I got all of the upgrades Stryker offered on the completely assembled Stryker lower. They are good because I don't notice them. Are they better than OEM? I dunno, I have very large and very strong hands and fingers. I haven't had any difficulty operating them and I haven't broken them off yet. I would probably notice if I had them side by side with the OEM, but once I removed my OEM Lower, I packed it into my safe, probably never to see daylight ever again.

Future mods I am contemplating and an issue I am starting to have with my Scar:

I am finding the OEM cheek riser is barely adequate for me with iron sights and low power glass. As I add higher magnification scopes to it with tighter eye relief it is becoming more and more inadequate. I believe it is the only real weakness of my Scar 17 where it takes me too long to get my cheek in the right spot with anything over say 6 or 8 power because of the slope of the FN OEM cheek piece. I want a repeatable and fast to acquire cheek weld that I can dial in just to suit me. But any replacement stock option must maintain the proper bore axis. I would still prefer my stock to fold for ease of transportation but I will give that up if I have to to get a fast and repeatable cheek weld. I wish someone made replacement pop-up cheek pieces of various heights or that had some kind of adjustment or even the provision to add or stack on spacers of some sort. That would be the easiest and probably least expensive fix to this problem by just swapping out the plastic cheek riser for one with a better fit for what I want to do.

Do you agree or disagree with my assessments? What are your experiences?

(edit: I forgot to mention the awesomeness of the Magpul MOE so I'm adding it here)
Magpul MOE AR-15 pistol grip. Mine came pre-installed on my complete Stryker lower. I had forgotten that the Stryker lower accepts AR-15 grips without modification largely because I didn't have to install it. Holy Cow! The MOE with the largest back strap installed fills my large hand and gives me a very confident grip and control over my Scar 17. If for no other reason, the Magpul MOE grip alone was worth all the money I spent to get it on my Scar. This was a very unexpected surprise Easter Egg from the deal. There is nothing "wrong" with the OEM pistol grip, it works, but I will NEVER go back to it, EVER, now that I have experienced the MOE. The MOE is the grip the Scar should have had. It is heavy and adds a few grams to the lower and to the Scar, but it is weight I will gladly add because even Chuck Mangione would say it, "Feels So Good!" There are no other grip options. Get a MOE on your Scar any way you can as soon as you can. You will thank me and you will never go back to the OEM grip.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Surefire, Griffin, and SilencerCo all make brakes that can be used as suppressor mounts and work with the SCAR 17S barrel 'shoulder'.

I myself have two Geissele triggers. It was a requirement on the 16, but not so much on the 17. The 17 had a much better trigger out of the box and I found it adequate, but put a Geissele in there for whatever small benefit it gets me plus I like my similar firearms to handle similarly. The 16 and the 17 have identical safety levers, grips, and triggers. Currently waiting on a VLTOR stock the 17, I have one on the 16 and find it the only adequate solution at this time.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
My only disagreement is shooting suppressed with the SDN-6, I actually feel less recoil. The obnoxious noise and blast from the factory brake is what led me down the suppressor path to begin with. I replaced my trigger with a Geissele, but it wasn't near as bad as my 16. I have no problem with the factory mags, but those with alot of pmags might benefit from an aftermarket lower.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I edited and added this because the Magpul MOE grip is so good I forget that my Scar didn't come with it from the FN factory... it should have...

"Magpul MOE AR-15 pistol grip. Mine came pre-installed on my complete Stryker lower. I had forgotten that the Stryker lower accepts AR-15 grips without modification largely because I didn't have to install it. Holy Cow! The MOE with the largest back strap installed fills my large hand and gives me a very confident grip and control over my Scar 17. If for no other reason, the Magpul MOE grip alone was worth all the money I spent to get it on my Scar. This was a very unexpected surprise Easter Egg from the deal. There is nothing "wrong" with the OEM pistol grip, it works, but I will NEVER go back to it, EVER, now that I have experienced the MOE. The MOE is the grip the Scar should have had. It is heavy and adds a few grams to the lower and to the Scar, but it is weight I will gladly add because even Chuck Mangione would say it, "Feels So Good!" There are no other grip options. Get a MOE on your Scar any way you can as soon as you can. You will thank me and you will never go back to the OEM grip."

Reactions: Bdcody01

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Optics is its own religion too..

I have a few medium cost/quality scopes but am still searching for the "one". Actually that isn't really true. This is the "one," I just can't afford it right now... Leupold Optics Mark 6 3-18x44mm M5C2, DAGR - | Leupold Optics

I started with this ~$1k 1x6x24 illuminated FFP scope for my Scar 17 SWFA SS HD 1-6x24 Tactical 30mm Riflescope | SWFA
I can't say enough good things about it for the money if a 1x6 FFP will work for you. I just have bad vision and need more magnification to reach out past 100 yards. It will remain my 100 yards and less preferred scope and the one I would hunt with.

I bought this ~$1.5k 5-20x50 illuminated FFP scope on Christmas sale for several hundred off, I forget the exact amount SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope | SWFA
But when I recently opened the box to mount it I found the illumination did not work. Never a shot fired. SWFA said send it back and they will take care of it. Then they informed me they could not fix it so they would send me a new one... just as soon as they get some as they are sold out and on backorder right now... If you know me on this forum, you know that I have a lot of patience and I can wait months if that's what it takes. But I don't think it will. So at this point I'm pleased with SWFA's handling of my warranty claim.

In the meantime I am taking some precision rifle training on a 300 yard range and I need some glass NOW because I have really bad vision. So I robbed this ~$250 Primary Arms 4-14 FFP scope from my $300 SKS and slapped it on my Scar 17 Primary Arms 4-14X44 Mil Mil FFP Scope - First Focal Plane - Mil Turret - Mil Reticle Scope
I got through the first session which was basically a rifle, scope, gear and zero at 100 yards check. I shot an honest 1" 1 moa group at 100 yards from seated with my bipod on a bench. That's pretty good for me, but I could tell my Scar 17 is capable of sub moa in better hands... which is why I'm taking the training. The two questions that remain will be whether the scope will hold zero and whether it will break or not before I get my SWFA SS 5-20 back.

Some might point out that I could have bought a nicer ~2k scope for the price I have in the two SWFA SS's. And while that is true, I'm new to scopes and I really haven't learned the magnification range that will work best for me with how I will be using my Scar 17. So my scope selection is really more experimentation with three requirements governing my purchases:
1) The scope must be a good value (all three of those are good deals for the money verses what you get)
2) The scope must have a reputation of being rugged and not breaking or falling apart (the SWFA SS HD series do, the Primary Arms is unknown, but cheap enough to throw away)
3) The scope must be a good fit on paper on at least one of my other rifles so that if I don't like it on my Scar or decide to try something else on the Scar, it will have a rifle to call home that I didn't already have a scope for.

So pretty much all my other rifles were made obsolete by my Scar 17, and although I lost interest in them, they will still benefit from the hand me down scopes that don't cut the mustard on my Scar 17. The less I spend on each scope, the more scopes I can afford to try. So in a year or so all my old rifles should be all glassed up and I will know what I really want to put on my Scar. At least that's my plan...

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My only disagreement is shooting suppressed with the SDN-6, I actually feel less recoil. The obnoxious noise and blast from the factory brake is what led me down the suppressor path to begin with...
I'm thinking some people are bothered more by the Scar 17's muzzle blast than others and I have a few theories about it...

1) Resonate sonic harmonics. Any given particular Scar 17 firing a given ammunition will create a muzzle blast with a certain sonic and pressure wave "signature." All sounds are waves and all waves have frequencies. And all structures, including the human body, will resonate at certain frequencies and every harmonic of those frequencies. It is possible that the size, shape and bone structure of one person's head and chest will resonate within the same harmonics that a particular Scar 17 firing a particular ammo is emitting. And another person will not. This would result in the one person being significantly affected by what to them is the same as two sticks of dynamite going off and the other person will hear and feel the equivalent of a firecracker going off from the same shot. I don't know to prove or disprove this theory. One clue would be to try to determine who is feeling the muzzle blast go "omph" in the chest from the pressure wave hitting them and who isn't. A dude shooting a 7.62x54R 16" VEPR in the next lane a couple of months ago that was shooting a huge fireball flash at least 4-5' downrange was the loudest most concussion I have ever felt from any rifle including a suppressed Barrett .50. That sucker was loud and was tuned to whatever frequency I'm tuned to. On the one hand I would never want to own a beast that is that offensive to fire. On the other hand, that is why I want one and if Kalashnikov starts making them 100% in the USA down in Florida, I will have to get one. Kalashnikov USA Announces Move To South Florida

2) Acuteness of hearing and general perception and reaction to muzzle blast. I'm in my 50's and have worked in loud construction and industrial factory settings my whole life. My hearing is not what most would say is bad, but I am many years past hearing mosquitoes. AC/DC, Ted Nugent, Molly Hatchet, and many other rock concerts didn't help either. But my point is I work in noisy environments and I am used to it. I'm rarely startled by sudden noises and never incapacitated by them. I can see how someone with better hearing who lives and works in a much quieter environment would definitely perceive the Scar 17 to be much louder than someone like me would. That's not a bad thing at all.

3) Control and concentration. All cars are always faster when I'm the passenger no matter who is driving and at what speed and no matter how much faster I am going when I drive. I think this is because the steering and the brakes just don't work so well in the passenger seat. Being in control in the driver's seat is an altogether different experience than being a passenger. Shooting is like that to me. When others shoot the gun is much louder than when I shoot it. It wasn't always that way. When I was a young shooter all those decades ago, I would tense up as I began to pull the trigger. As the years went by and I was shooting a variety of guns from .22's to 12 gauge I came to realize that tensing up made the recoil and report worse, not better. And once when I was doing a mag dump on a 9mm pistol, I realized I had hit a dud round but the pistol recoiled exactly the same way as if it had fired... I had no idea I pulled the gun so bad in anticipation of the recoil which explained why I was such a lousy shot back then. I started randomly mixing a few snap caps into only a couple of my several pistol mags and mixing them up so I would never know if the next round was going to fire or was going to be a snap cap. It changed everything for me and helped me to learn to relax and be in control of the firearm rather than anticipating and reacting to it. That pistol trick transferred directly to my shotgun and rifle shooting. When I'm shooting now I am concentrating on my aim and making the gun work by making it do my will. I really don't hear or feel anything the moment I fire the shot. All the sound, concussion and recoil I feel comes after the projectile is well on its way downrange if not after it has reached the target. I don't really try to block out the noise and recoil, I just so preoccupied with my aim and trying to make the firearm an extension of my body and will to actually register the report immediately so I get it as a delayed reaction if that makes sense. My whole point here is that I believe that anticipating a nasty recoil or in this case a nasty obnoxious report may actually make it worse because your senses are tuned into it and waiting to receive it.

Again these are just ideas and theories that may or may not be total crap. I post them more to advance the discussion of the problem than as an actual remedy to it. And also to explain why my SDN-6 makes my Scar 17 feel to ME like it has far more recoil than without it despite others I have let shoot it with and without the can all agreeing with your perception that it softens the recoil. In this regard it may be that can shifts the timing of the recoil even in relation to the trigger pull, perhaps delaying it a few milliseconds. If that is true, it may be less recoil, but it is hitting me a little later when I actually start to notice it rather than sooner when I don't hear or feel anything that instant the trigger breaks. Just another theory really, YRMV.

Reactions: Serenity

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Surefire, Griffin, and SilencerCo all make brakes that can be used as suppressor mounts and work with the SCAR 17S barrel 'shoulder'.

I myself have two Geissele triggers. It was a requirement on the 16, but not so much on the 17. The 17 had a much better trigger out of the box and I found it adequate, but put a Geissele in there for whatever small benefit it gets me plus I like my similar firearms to handle similarly. The 16 and the 17 have identical safety levers, grips, and triggers. Currently waiting on a VLTOR stock the 17, I have one on the 16 and find it the only adequate solution at this time.
SCAR 17 Muzzle Device Compatibility List

I would still verify directly with each manufacturer but this is a good list to get an idea.
Post #34 from this thread: http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-scar-17s/64207-aac-mount-scar-17s-4.html#post707218

"NO muzzle brake/suppressor QD mount on the SCAR 762 family of weapons is recommended by Stryker Enterprises due to the insufficient shoulder on the SCAR barrel profile.

Flash hiders are A-ok on the SCAR 762 family of weapons.

No OEM lock nut is to be used when mounting a flash hider/suppressor QD mount on the SCAR 762 family of weapons. Simply thread the FH QD mount after cleaning the threads and applying Rocksett. Then torque to recommended specifications.

Muzzle brakes are A-ok on the SCAR 762 family of weapons long as they are not used as mounts for suppressors due to the risk of baffle strikes being above 50% and longer suppressors are more at risk that "K" suppressors."

I haven't found Jim to give bad advice about anything related to the Scar 17 and the quality of the parts he manufactures is a testament to his expertise. Some may have success with a quick disconnect suppressor brake, but his warning is enough to end my own quest for one at this time.

My .300 Blackout was designed from the beginning to run subsonic ammo suppressed. AAC designed and got the SAAMI certification for the ammo and then designed the 7.62 SDN-6 specifically for that ammo. Since I have a .300 Blk AR that was designed to fill that role, the risk verses gain to try to make my Scar 17 do it too with supersonic ammo does not make sense for me. Especially considering I love how my Scar 17 shoots with the factory brake and I don't like how it shoots with the can. Different strokes for different folks...

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
Post #34 from this thread: http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-scar-17s/64207-aac-mount-scar-17s-4.html#post707218

"NO muzzle brake/suppressor QD mount on the SCAR 762 family of weapons is recommended by Stryker Enterprises due to the insufficient shoulder on the SCAR barrel profile.

Flash hiders are A-ok on the SCAR 762 family of weapons.

No OEM lock nut is to be used when mounting a flash hider/suppressor QD mount on the SCAR 762 family of weapons. Simply thread the FH QD mount after cleaning the threads and applying Rocksett. Then torque to recommended specifications.

Muzzle brakes are A-ok on the SCAR 762 family of weapons long as they are not used as mounts for suppressors due to the risk of baffle strikes being above 50% and longer suppressors are more at risk that "K" suppressors."

I haven't found Jim to give bad advice about anything related to the Scar 17 and the quality of the parts he manufactures is a testament to his expertise. Some may have success with a quick disconnect suppressor brake, but his warning is enough to end my own quest for one at this time.

My .300 Blackout was designed from the beginning to run subsonic ammo suppressed. AAC designed and got the SAAMI certification for the ammo and then designed the 7.62 SDN-6 specifically for that ammo. Since I have a .300 Blk AR that was designed to fill that role, the risk verses gain to try to make my Scar 17 do it too with supersonic ammo does not make sense for me. Especially considering I love how my Scar 17 shoots with the factory brake and I don't like how it shoots with the can. Different strokes for different folks...
Ill just leave this right here...

SCAR 17 Muzzle Device Compatibility List

·
Registered
757 Posts
The muzzle device gets a NO if it either does not make contact with the shoulder or hits the muzzle face before the shoulder. This should help to determine what you can and cannot use for muzzle devices. *Note: AAC does not recommend the use of anything other than a flash hider on the SCAR.
I think anyone reading this should take note of the underlined. While obviously SilencerCO and SilencerShop are vastly more experienced and knowledgeable than me, the body of the writing is not saying they're not at all compatible(although it sure seams like it)--it saying it couldn't be indexed on the shoulder in their test.

And until someone proves me wrong, I'm going to say that I believe the SCAR17 was designed such that the muzzle devices are supposed to: index on the muzzle since all the FH that I've seen so far on the SCAR17 index on the muzzle, supposed to be FH since they didn't include a sufficient shoulder for a brake---in part so that they can use the same gas block assembly / standard threading and because, I assume, the military isn't concerned about suppressor preservation.

Reactions: mityno1

·
Registered
354 Posts
I agree with most everything Mityno1 said except for 2 things. 1st I also have bad eyes and I would and did put a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X50 scope on my 17S. Hardly noticed the weight increase since the 17S is so light to begin with. 2nd I don't believe other 308's are obsolete. My OBR fulfills an entirely different role as a long range sniper with groups generally running under 0.5 moa. but for humping a weapon over longer distances that is reasonably accurate it can't be beat. By the way my 17S stock trigger was over 8 pounds so the Super SCAR trigger was a must. It's the only mod I made to this fine weapon.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Mit,
i ordered the omega the day it was announced from silencershop. I am hoping the can will be paroled sometime in June or July based on when I submitted it. I called silencerco today just to be sure and they said to not use the specwar brake with the scar 17......
silcensershop said they got the shims to work on the 17s and also the surefire chamfer spacer can be used. I am just hesitant because our cans are nfa items and just cant quickly be replaced if something is damaged. Who knows

If I was going to try another suppressor on my Scar 17 today, it would be the Omega SilencerCo Omega 7.62 - 7.62mm Rifle - Silencers with the Specwar brake SilencerCo Specwar/Omega Muzzle Brake

·
Registered
629 Posts
Does this muzzle brake stuff also apply to the 13" barrel? Can I run a surefire MB on the 13" and maybe run a Surefire 7.62 silencer and be ok? (Still in the process of being legal in IL but I am getting all my ducks in a row).

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
The point of me posting that link was that you're never going to get the same answer when it comes to brake/suppressor questions. AAC has said and changed their mind multiple times and some people run brakes just fine and others swear against it. Guess the best thing you can do is decide what you fell most comfortable with and run with it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts