FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted too inform you of my experience with Bill Springfield last month. I've had my SCAR 17 for about 6 months now. The gun is great minus the trigger. I measured the trigger pull with my trigger pull gauge. It measured a depressing 9 lbs. I had been saving for one of the Geissele triggers but life happens and my savings had to go another route. I had read many post about Bill on different sites. Some reviews were good but most bad. I called the number from his website and Bill himself answered the phone. He explained the entire process and told me to send it to him and he would get to done. I sent the SCAR lower to him via USPS (insured of course). I had the lower back in my hands 5 days later. I immediately noticed the trigger was smoother and much lighter. When I got home I took out the same trigger gauge that I had used before. The gauge measured a crisp 4.5 lbs. I am impressed both with the service provided and how quickly I got the lower back. Is it a Geissele? No. It is a smooth 4.5 pound trigger that cost less than $100 including shipping and insurance both ways. Just in case some of you are in the same boat as I am and can't afford the cost of a new trigger. This is an option you may want to consider.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had him do triggers on a couple HK's and a few AR's as I lived in Colorado Springs at the time and it was a simple drop off at his house on the way to work and pick up after leaving about a week later. He does great work and most of the guns I've had done by him I still own and shoot (5+ years later) they all shoot great to this day. Nice to know he is doing SCAR platform now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would be careful. I've read some crazy things about him on the Internet. Do a search and you will find some very interesting stories.
I read the same stories which is why I called first to talk to the man. His work was as promised and back to me far quicker than expected. The internet has become a whipping post for some with an axe to grind. Some of these same individuals lack the intestinal fortitude to work out their issues one on one, instead they hide behind post on forums and ruin the reputation of individuals or companies when a simple phone call could have solved the issue. I took that in consideration and chose after talking to Mr. Springfield to give him a chance and I am glad I did. Just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I opted for the Geissele in both my 16 and 17 but I did have Mr. Springfield do a trigger job on a stock MIL AR-15 trigger about seven years ago in which he made the stock trigger pull crisp and smooth and its still going strong with no issues. Communication and turn around time was great.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have nothing but good things to say about the SCAR trigger he did for me. It was a 10 day turn around with shipping.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You know, I've read the down-sided stories about Bill too but I have had him do an duty type AR trigger job for me that is great...I also had him do a PTR-91 trigger package and weld a paddle mag release and it too was outstanding. Many of the complaints were his honing goes in to the soft metal and in time deforms causing malfunctions. This has not been my experience but I haven't run thousands of rounds through these particular rifle either.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Thanks for the heads up about Mr. Springfield. I may be sending my SCAR to him myself.
I really wish there was an option to get someone to do a job or offer a replacement for the FNS trigger. I love every aspect of that gun except for the heavier trigger.

As a side note, I looked on a different thread where i'm not a member and complaints were made. Bill himself actually logged on and offered a solution, which the guy ignored. I am not sure if i'm allowed to post links to another forum on here, and i was having trouble finding it in the rules. I'll post the forum and the post numbers in the next post and if one of the moderators deems it inappropriate - forgive me and please remove.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I sent Bill my first AR, a Colt 6920, and loved it so much, I had him do the work on other AR's, an AR 180, HK 91, FN FAL, Steyr Aug, FN FS 2000, as well as my SCAR 16 and 17. Everything he's done for me has been from a definite improvement to excellent. On all of them the gritty long take-up is gone, some are lighter pulls than others but none are nearly as heavy as before. The AR's and HK are night and day different, the SCAR's are much nicer with no take-up or grittiness, and definitely lighter than before. Not all feel the same, even between the different AR trigger jobs, but all are improved. The FS 2000 and Steyr were not hugely different but there's only so much you can do with all stock bullpup parts.

I'm sure with all the jobs he's done there have been some misses, but for the price I can't complain at all on anything I've sent him. I've taken handguns to other gunsmiths, and have not seen any better results. As a matter of fact, I had one smith do two new Glock Gen 4's and they were noticeably different enough that I sent one back for a rework. I also took a local smith a Beretta 87T and a 1911, and I couldn't tell much of a difference at all on the Beretta, and it cost me a good bit more than a Springfield rifle trigger job.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts