FN Herstal Firearms banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(Updated) SCAR 17 Bolt carrier defective?

I was disassembling a brand new SCAR 17s and noticed a deep "defect" in the bolt carrier steel. Take a look and let me know what you think. The metal is deformed and this rifle had never been fired. Call FN and go from there or carry on?

UPDATE: This morning I called FNHUSA Service and spoke to John, he told me that is a "machined cut out" present on all SCAR carriers. He said it shoots fine. I said thats not my concern, I know it will damn well shoot, will it do so without tearing up the rails that puppy slides on? He said, its a factory job, carry on. Now, what are your thoughts and what do your carriers look like? If I can get a confirmation of what John from FNHUSA says then I can move out smartly. Thanks.

Window Automotive window part Door Glass Metal
Vehicle door Window Door Material property Glass
Material property Table Metal Blade Wood

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great responses so far, a lot to consider, especially the fact that years after my first SCAR purchase, FN still has a logistics problem with rifle parts. I will keep reviewing my options and call them tomorrow. This one is my wife's Christmas present so it can't go wrong haha.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Brand new $2500 (approx) rifle, I would send that bad boy back in and demand the perfection you should get for that money.
You can spend $2500-$3300 on a diamond but you are still paying that much for a product that is considered to have flaws and imperfections.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Yeah and a new Corvette will run just fine even after the purchaser discovers a scratch down the hood 2 minutes after he pulls off the lot. WTF

OP you have reason to be upset. You won't find many people here that will criticize at FN for anything. I hope you get your problem resolved.

·
Registered
172 Posts
You can spend $2500-$3300 on a diamond but you are still paying that much for a product that is considered to have flaws and imperfections.
Comparing apples to oranges IMO. Even though it won't effect performance, I think FNH QC should have caught that bur before hand. I would expect something like that from, say, a company like DPMS but for the money that you pay for a SCAR I would expect more.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I'll take it off your hands.... for a modest($600)discount!!:-D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
My point is just because you pay a lot of money for something doesn't guarantee its perfection.You are still paying for a mass produced product. With that being said, i agree that it should have been caught by QC.

·
Registered
173 Posts
yah, I'd be pissed too. fyi I've been on a 6 mo. + wait on some lower parts so
I'm not sure if sending it back makes sense??

·
Registered
146 Posts
Pretty much why i will not send in my lower do to the mag well spec being bigger than normal. This doesn't allow the bcg to lock back. Many have this issue.

Easy fix .... Stryker SEAL .

But now we wait for that

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just spoke to John @ FNHUSA Service and he says it is normal and is a "machined cut out" which is performed on every SCAR bolt carrier. I said the metal is deformed, he said "normal". So, could someone else take a look at their carrier and lemme know? Its about half way down the carrier. Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.