FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my SCAR 17 today. Been reading as much as I can digest here and elsewhere. Other than "its unbelievably loud" comments from
users what is the issue with the factory brake?? I like the look and it obviously performs well so why seek to change it? appreciate comments
from those who change and why. I am so impressed with my initial feel of this weapon. I sold my Colt 901 for this and it was a great trade up!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Aside from pissing off the guys around you, the reasons I took off the brake were;

1 Signature- I took a video of me shooting and my position was given away by the 3 foot gas cloud at the end of the muzzle. Looked like I loaded the cases with black powder, well not quite that bad but unacceptable.

2 Noise- A .308 doesn't need to be any louder, especially if you needed to use it indoors. You can't put a can on the brake, unlike the AAC Blackout.

3 Overpressure- I couldn't keep my eyes open during the firing sequence. I'd drop the hammer, start to see the muzzle climb and reflexively blink. It wasn't due to recoil, I've been shooting a G3 for a while and I have a Siaga 12, it was the overpressure. Once the shockwave got to my eyes I had to blink. I took it off so I didn't form a habit. This was the reason I HAD to get rid of it. Other people might not have this problem but I sure did. Took it off and the problem went away,

4 Controllability- It was nice having the extra damping but the SCAR is easily controlled without it.

5 Looks- Looks more professional with a FH.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Don't look for other people to tell you what is wrong with your rifle. It's yours. Use it. Love it. If there is something YOU don't like, then ask opinions for options on a better setup. The brake works great. It's not bad unless your the guy next to it. If you shoot at a range, it may be nice as a courtesy to the guy next to you to put on a milder brake or FS. It up to you sir. That being said, Congratulations! :?

Assuming you got a black one, Welcome to the BABRA! It's very prestigious.

Reactions: Troublesx10

·
Registered
22 Posts
Aside from pissing off the guys around you, the reasons I took off the brake were;

1 Signature- I took a video of me shooting and my position was given away by the 3 foot gas cloud at the end of the muzzle. Looked like I loaded the cases with black powder, well not quite that bad but unacceptable.

2 Noise- A .308 doesn't need to be any louder, especially if you needed to use it indoors. You can't put a can on the brake, unlike the AAC Blackout.

3 Overpressure- I couldn't keep my eyes open during the firing sequence. I'd drop the hammer, start to see the muzzle climb and reflexively blink. It wasn't due to recoil, I've been shooting a G3 for a while and I have a Siaga 12, it was the overpressure. Once the shockwave got to my eyes I had to blink. I took it off so I didn't form a habit. This was the reason I HAD to get rid of it. Other people might not have this problem but I sure did. Took it off and the problem went away,

4 Controllability- It was nice having the extra damping but the SCAR is easily controlled without it.

5 Looks- Looks more professional with a FH.
So what are the most recommended brakes/hiders?

·
Registered
505 Posts
My plan is to also do the Surefire SOCOM Flash hider and then be able to use the Surefire SOCOM Suppressor. But for the first few weeks it will retain the stock setup. If they dont like to here it they can move over. Its a Rifle. Rifles are loud when they go Bang. Not to worried about it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK good info, so any 5/8 x 24 thread will work then..........
thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I kinda like how loud it is.. It's like a hot rod at the range that gets noticed.

I did mag dump at the range and all stations around me questioned what gun that was. They didn't seem pissed at all

·
Registered
8,521 Posts
I kinda like how loud it is.. It's like a hot rod at the range that gets noticed.

I did mag dump at the range and all stations around me questioned what gun that was. They didn't seem pissed at all
yep, no fun having a corvette if your cant race her! Most people will appreciate it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
My plan is to also do the Surefire SOCOM Flash hider and then be able to use the Surefire SOCOM Suppressor. But for the first few weeks it will retain the stock setup. If they dont like to here it they can move over. Its a Rifle. Rifles are loud when they go Bang. Not to worried about it.
Those surefire can's sure are pricey :sad:

D*** swinging contest LOL :shock:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a direct thread Thunderbeast so I will not be putting a QD mount if I were to change the brake.
haven't done enough research yet to determine if there is enough shoulder to direct mount?? anybody know?

·
FN Supporter
433 Posts
I have a direct thread Thunderbeast so I will not be putting a QD mount if I were to change the brake.
haven't done enough research yet to determine if there is enough shoulder to direct mount?? anybody know?
I don't normally like QD mounts on CF rifle cans but I do use one on the 17s as I'm concerned about that small shoulder when used with a direct mount can and multiple on-off cycles.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I don't normally like QD mounts on CF rifle cans but I do use one on the 17s as I'm concerned about that small shoulder when used with a direct mount can and multiple on-off cycles.
I'm assuming QD mounts means "quick detach mount" but could you tell me what "CF rifle" mean ?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
The muzzle break or flash hider you choose should be based on the primary application of your rifle: outdoors, indoors, nightime, daytime. I use flash hiders on all around rifles, and only use muzzle breaks for dedicated daylight and outdoor rifles.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts