FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I lurked this forum before committing to buy my Scar 17 a few months ago I did so not to find out what was good about the Scar but to find out what was bad about it, its weaknesses and things I could expect to not like about it. These I factored into my decision. None of my friends and acquaintances had a Scar so there was no one I knew personally that I could rely upon for an endorsement or warning. And there was no Scar available for me to shoot and evaluate for myself to see what I thought about them, not even a Scar for rent at any range I knew of in Atlanta. My fears were many:

I feared the reciprocating charging handle would be as dangerous as a table saw and would maul me or chop my fingers off.

I feared that as a lefty I would not be able to run the Scar worth a crap left handed, or deal with clearing any malfunctions effectively and efficiently should they ever occur.

I feared I would not be able to find enough FN proprietary mags without getting scalped or giving up a weeks pay for each one.

I feared the gun would be a PITA to field strip, clean and reassemble.

I feared it would not deliver on its promises to be the lightest weight, lightest recoil, most reliable battle proven production .308.

I feared being surprised and disappointed by some factor I had not even known I should have feared.

And while this forum did not dissuade me from taking the leap of faith with several thousand dollars I could have arguably put to better use, it is only because I am 1990 internets bulletin board flame war veteran and I know how forums unavoidably work, usually biasing toward the negative. I can see how some threads might reinforce more negative thinking towards the Scar platform than is actually deserved in reality.

What I found was the more I shoot my Scar 17, the more I love it and feel my pre-purchase fears were just plain silly. But I do not regret having them because the first gun I ever bought was a new Jennings .22 pistol in the 1980's and it taught me a valuable lesson, ALWAYS THOROUGHLY RESEARCH ANY FIREARM BEFORE BUYING IT!!! Fortunately the Jennings was only a $59 dangerous total POS design waste of money. I keep it to remind myself of that bitter experience so I never repeat it and because I don't want to sell it and find out someone got hurt because it accidentally discharged on them. That is what Jennings do, yes they really are that bad of a design. Having some $3k worth of similar regret in a rifle purchase is something I really want to avoid.

In short my Scar 17 is the gun I wish I had always had, especially when I was younger with better vision, strength and mobility. I have owned and shot many different guns over the years, dozens and dozens of different platforms. Of all of them, if I could only have one, my Scar 17 is it. It really is that good in my not so humble opinion. I would say that it is one of the best investment grade rifles that will always retain substantial value and desirability which is why it will become a classic collectible with a loyal following for generations to come, even after more exotic materials and technology replace it, like the FAL that it replaces and the M1A. But that is not the intent of this thread.

Most Scar owners have things they would prefer were different about their Scars. Some of those things can be, or soon will be available to be, changed with aftermarket parts options. That is the wonderful thing about this site, we can see what others are doing and decide if we want to try those particular mods for ourselves or not. But the thing that I believe a potential Scar 17 buyer cannot easily read into some of these threads is that while we are discussing complaints and our "needs" for improving our Scars, overall, most Scar owners would not consider these items deal breakers and do not regret their Scar 17 purchase, the less than match grade FN trigger not withstanding.

What I would like to see in the responses is not the small complaints or quests for small improvements or modification to the Scar, but the opinions and experiences of those who actually purchased a Scar 17 and then decided after shooting it that they wished they had not bought it in the first place, and all of the reasons why as it relates to the rifle (and not say your wife's reaction to your bank statement after the purchase or the divorce you say it caused).

·
Administrator
12,023 Posts
I have no regrets. Every firearm lacks in one area or another. For me, it's the iron sights but that is because of my eyes. When in the mil, I used to go out to 300 plus meters with the irons on my M16 so they are adequate and it is my shortfalls that are the issue, not the firearm.

Funny you should mention a Jennings, as I have one in my safe and there it stays.

So all in all, I am happy I have the SCAR, but at my age and with my medical problems, the money could have been better spent as I am incapable of hauling even a basic load out. That being said, my son will enjoy the firearms I pass to him when the time comes.

·
Premium Member
9,713 Posts
I'm happy with the SCAR. The few minor irritants (grip, safety selectors) were easily addressed. My only real regrets are on how much money my SCAR duo has siphoned out of my wallet. But I can't really be that upset about even that. For even if I hadn't gotten the SCARs, I probably would have spent the money on magic beans or whatnot.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would like to know if most of those used Scar sales are because of purely financial reasons (the typical Scar will pay a few months rent for the average person), or because the owner was actually dissatisfied with the Scar itself.

Also, whether they replaced the Scar with another rifle of the same caliber. It is one thing to not like the caliber or a detachable mag semi-auto gun in general, and quite another to not like the Scar platform specifically.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I too was interested in the scar 17 and after a lot of research came to the conclusion that it seemed like the best fit for my intended use. I happened to be at my local gun shop looking at wilson combat 1911 when I noticed a larger than typical ar looking rifle nestled towards the back of one of there rifle shelfs. I immediately turned to the guy helping me and asked if that was a black scar 17 they had in stock he said yep it sure is and these things are selling fast we are not sure how soon we'll have another one in. So I began holding it and swinging it around the shop, playing with the irons and pulling the charging handle. I felt like it was a match made in heaven, so then I look at the tag on the rifle and almost dropped the gun on the ground from sticker shock. They wanted 3399 for it and I knew California prices were bad from previous experience but never had I thought that it would be that much. So I humbly handed the rifle back and said wow that is a nice rifle. And I left the store knowing what I wanted, eventually I found one California compliant on gun broker for around 2800 buck brand new in FDE and bought it right then and there. That was around six months ago back in september. Since then it has earned its place as my favorite rifle and second most shot rifle, only behind my benelli ethos which I use to shoot sporting clays, trap and skeet. The one issue I have with the rifle is the STUPID Bullet button, god I hate the California laws. It would be so nice to do fast magazine changes without the need for a special tool to release the mag. Does my issue make me want to sell the gun no but it does make me want to sell my house and move to a truly free state. Then I see all you lucky individuals with more than ten round mags, shorter barrels and suppressors and again I feel this need to leave California. So in short this is the best system I have ever used it ergos make it feel so natural that even in my short time of ownership it has begun to feel second nature.

·
Registered
221 Posts
My greatest fear only came up AFTER owning several SCARs. I recently learned to fear that several bundles of helium filled balloons would suddenly spring from crevices in the stock and receiver. I hope to god that never happens but it's a fear with a legitimate foundation.

As as for the reciprocating charging handle? Practice holding the rifle in different positions and firing it frequently allowed me to use the rifle naturally with no concern for accidental mauling. My wife hasn't experienced any issues with hers either.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Shooting is therapeutic. :?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I HATE the stock muzzle break. It works great but is stupid loud :hearingprotection:and the percussion:rangeglasses:is retarded. I am currently researching muzzle devices as my next upgrade as I patiently wait for my "You know what" from "You know who".:icon_shh:

As soon as I have a real issue with my SCAR, you gentlemen will be of the first to know.:?

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
No regret or buyers remorse at all. The only gripe I have is the sling attachment points. I think they could have been better designed to fit a larger variety of sling mounts. Also, some QD incorporated into the rails would have been nice.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I own many different guns including multiple 308s and after purchasing the scar 17 it's the best gun I ever bought I thought it was kind of expensive but after doing some looking around I was not able to find anything even close to the scar even for more money FN did a great job A+ from me

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
No regrets on the 17. As far as the 16 goes my only regret is being born left handed, yet despite bouncing shells off my shoulder consistently with it, and wanting to hate the rifle for it I still prefer shooting it over my AR or Rob Arms.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
zero complaints...find me a better rifle in 7.62x51/.308 or 5.56x45/.223 because I can't find one. Its perfect right out of the box. I chose to switch some things around for the hell of it. But, I would run it bone stock all day long and have the confidence its the best in the class.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
No regrets on the 17. As far as the 16 goes my only regret is being born left handed, yet despite bouncing shells off my shoulder consistently with it, and wanting to hate the rifle for it I still prefer shooting it over my AR or Rob Arms.
Wasn't there someone on here that had a aftermarket deflector ? Not to derail thread, OP, I actually really like the SCAR platform, but I'm sure you read between my lines. I enjoy customizing them to fit my specific intent for each unit. Glad to hear you are happy with yours !:?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wasn't there someone on here that had a aftermarket deflector ? Not to derail thread, OP, I actually really like the SCAR platform, but I'm sure you read between my lines. I enjoy customizing them to fit my specific intent for each unit. Glad to hear you are happy with yours !:?
My Scar 17 has not yet hit me with a shell shooting left handed, at least not that I recall or noticed. But that may be my size, stance, ect... I too would be interested in a lefty specific shell deflector, you can't have too much space between you and hot flying brass...

(I'm a drifter and not a stickler for staying on topic. It's the discussion that matters. I don't expect many if any will answer this thread with "my Scar sux and I hate it because... " anyways, but I wanted to put the subject out here to give them an opportunity and for those on the fence to see that even most all of those owners who appear to be unhappy with their Scars here in this forum would still buy their Scars if they had a do-over because there is nothing out there at this time that can replace what it does. I know I would have appreciated seeing a thread like this to clarify where owners really stood.)

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I don't expect many if any will answer this thread with "my Scar sux and I hate it because... " anyways, but I wanted to put the subject out here to give them an opportunity and for those on the fence to see that even most all of those owners who appear to be unhappy with their Scars here in this forum would still buy their Scars if they had a do-over because there is nothing out there at this time that can replace what it does.
As soon as they come out with a man portable plasma rifle I'm so ditching the SCAR. 8)

·
Registered
153 Posts
In short my Scar 17 is the gun I wish I had always had, especially when I was younger with better vision, strength and mobility. I have owned and shot many different guns over the years, dozens and dozens of different platforms. Of all of them, if I could only have one, my Scar 17 is it.
I echo this sentiment for my 16. I especially wish I'd had it when I could've used the iron sights, but realistically that's behind me now. After avoiding it for years - I finally broke down and got optics for the first time to be able to enjoy the SCAR.

The only disappointment I recall after buying my SCAR is that it didn't come with its own front sight adjustment tool (I know - ironic since it turned out I couldn't do much with the iron sights anyway). Seems to me it should have since so many AR tools are too shallow for it. In this day and age of point and click ordering though - that is a monumentally minor complaint.

I researched the SCAR to death before ordering and still was *extremely* worried that buyers' remorse would be overwhelming once I got it. Much to my relief, that turned out to be no issue at all. I felt, and still feel, it was money well spent on myself.

:th_noproblem:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yep the sling attachments are a surprise to me also.

No regret or buyers remorse at all. The only gripe I have is the sling attachment points. I think they could have been better designed to fit a larger variety of sling mounts. Also, some QD incorporated into the rails would have been nice.
As well designed as the SCAR17S I am so surprised that the sling attachments are just about useless. I have checked with several gun shops and they feel the same way. Many recommend using key rings and attach your slings that way... how unprofessional is that..???? But it does work!! :-| Anyway, I love the gun and looking for a flash hider that reduces the awesome flash. The second thing I regret from the SCAR. I love the new HK but it will never replace the SCAR 17S nor will the REAPER.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts