FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I recently bought a scar 17s. I did some research before buying anything, but I’m thinking maybe not enough. I ordered a Leupold vxr patrol 1.25x4. Will a scope like this hold up to the scar?? If so, how long? I won’t be cycling a huge amount of ammo. Probably a few hundred rounds a year if that. Once I zero my glass, I use a rifle like this to shoot hogs and coyotes.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Welcome to the Brotherhood of the SCAR. What ranges do you expect to be shooting at hogs and coyotes? That will dictate what glass to put on it. 4x should be good out to 300 yards or so. Maybe more depending on your eyesight and skill level. You should have no issue with Leupold products. They are well built and have a good warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great!

I won’t be sling lead any further than 500 yards with this setup. I have a mark ar scope I could take off of a galil ace. It goes up to 18 power. ????

thanks for getting back to me!

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Out to 500 I would want more than 4x. Your 18x would be a good option as you don't have to crank it all the way up unless you are punching paper off a rest. I would think 10x would be plenty at 500.

·
Registered
303 Posts
If you want to shoot out to 500, I would suggest more magnification than a 4x. With my 6X, I'm great out to 400m and mediocre at 500m. Despite having a 6x, I would almost suggest a quality 1-8X

Reactions: Hunterkiller69

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone know of a Leupold mark 6 3-18 for sale that is used? Also, I found the receiver rail somehow was bent a little, I straightened it out without causing damage. It should be alright???

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
I’ve got a MK6 3-18 illuminated on my 17. Best piece of glass I have ever used. It does a hell of a job on the 17 and they are tough as nails. There is a video of someone tossing one off of a helicopter reattaching to the rifle. Not only was no damaged sustained, it held zero.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I have one of the newer IOR Valdada 3.5 x 18 on my 700 5R that I've thought about using. Uses the best glass from the German Schott factory and very expensive. However, not sure how it would hold up. I was leaning toward the simplistic, yet very rugged Elcan 1.5 x 6, but not sure if 6 is high enough with my almost 71yr old eyes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Scar 17 has the ability to reach out if you plan on staying around the 300 meter range the optic you got is fine. The recoil wont mess with your zero unless you go cheap on the mount. I would get the mark 4 or a larue system. I have a mark 6 1-6 and it has never failed me. The vortex razor 1-6 or newer 1-8 is a great second option and will be easier on the bank. The nightforce 1-8 nxs is another good option or any of the Trijicons. I would stay away from the acogs the eye relief is pretty short . What load are you going to be running?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Funny, I put a Leupold Mark 6 3-18X44 on my SCAR 17. Could not be happier. They are kind of expensive though.
|
But they have killer warranties. I sent back a 25 year old VariX III I've had on my 7 mag since I bought it and they returned it completely refurbished. I've sighted it in maybe 3 times in those 25 years and that was only after dropping it out of a climbing stand once and it falling over twice. I didn't have to do much to get it back on target even then. You can spend a lot more money on a scope than the Leupolds cost.

·
Registered
186 Posts
VX-R Patrol 1.5 - 4 is a great scope. I had one on my 17 and put approximately 3000 rounds through it. Never a problem. The motion activated illumination feature should be on ALL scopes with illuminated reticles. I only took it off in favor of a higher powered Leupold.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts