FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as the title states...goodbye EOTech. Sent mine in earlier this week for a refund, so it's time to upgrade the optic on the SCAR. I had been happy with EOTechs on firearms I used in the past, so it seemed like a good placeholder for the time being, and performed well for me out to 100 yards...and the occasional 200 yard target. It was supposed to be temporary, but procrastination. This is now my kick in the rear to change it up.

For this go around anyhow, I am only looking to spend $500-$700 on the optic itself. Aside from that investment, I plan to mount it using the ADM Delta QD mount, I've read nothing but positive things.

I have read through a ton of old posts, and could just leave it at that...but of course, here I am. I'd like to get current advice to see if there are any recommendations or options that have come up since, and make sure I'm getting the best for the comparatively small amount I'm looking to spend vs what I often see around here.

I am looking for an optic that can perform at close range, I obviously don't expect for it to be up to the level of an EOTech at this function, but some close engagement ability would be preferred. I want to keep my SCAR lightweight, and adaptable to anywhere from close up shots, to about 100-150 yards, and not setup as a bench rifle. I typically shoot 50-100, with closer shots mixed in. But do occasionally shoot out to 200 as mentioned. Like stated, I prefer not to weigh it down with long range optics and a bipod, as I feel I have that covered in other platforms. The longest shooting range I have access to around here is 300 max anyhow, so doesn't provide much motivation for a long distance setup.
(I was momentarily considering a Nikon M-308 4-16 + Atlas bipod, I can't even follow my own rules!) :-D

From what I've learned about my preferences as related to optics, my top choices are:

Leupold VX-R Partol 1.25-4 SPR
(Great reviews, great company, great warranty...minus it only being two years for the electronics)

Vortex Viper PST 1-4
(Great reviews, from what I've read it's an excellent company, with an unbelievable warranty)

Burris MTAC 1-4
(Heard positive things, haven't really looked at this one as closely as the other two)

I've also poked around at the Trijicon Accupoint 1-4, but didn't prefer that over the above, which of course are all less. There weren't any other local options that I could pick up and look at besides those. This weekend I will be in a much bigger city and should be able to check out a wider selection, so I'm trying to get any additional ideas or recommendation as I'm headed out for that trip in a few days.

Any advice, personal experience, or other similar options AROUND the same price point...would be much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Looks like you have the bases pretty well covered with those that you mentioned in your post. The leupold would be (and was) my choice. Look through them and you be able to make up your mind much easier one you have them in hand. Good luck.

Reactions: SnowSCAR

·
Registered
104 Posts
if you are looking for 1-4x, one scope that doesn't get mentioned much is the leatherwood hilux cmr4. I own this scope as well as the vortex viper PST 1-4. I like them both, but the glass is crisper on the hi lux and I prefer its reticle as well. The vortex is brighter and has less tendency to wash out in the sunlight and it has an off feature in between each illumination setting which I like vs only 2 off settings on the hi lux. Between these 2 scopes, my personal opinion I give a slight edge to the hi lux.

·
Registered
185 Posts
what if you just got another eotech and a magnifier? other than that the vortex is supposed to be very good and I've seen a lot of good things about the hilux but have never personally used one.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Somewhat off topic, but how long after your filled out and sent your return request did it take for you to get an RMA from Eotech?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like you have the bases pretty well covered with those that you mentioned in your post. The leupold would be (and was) my choice. Look through them and you be able to make up your mind much easier one you have them in hand. Good luck.
I have done my best to dig into the options around in the category. It's just nice to get first hand knowledge on the optics I am looking at. I plan to get a look through as many of them as I can this weekend, I agree that picking them up and actually looking through the glass/checking out the reticle is definitely a big help in narrowing down options. I assume you're happy with your Leupold VX-R, are you using it for similar ranges as I indicated in my post? Thanks for chiming in.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
if you are looking for 1-4x, one scope that doesn't get mentioned much is the leatherwood hilux cmr4. I own this scope as well as the vortex viper PST 1-4. I like them both, but the glass is crisper on the hi lux and I prefer its reticle as well. The vortex is brighter and has less tendency to wash out in the sunlight and it has an off feature in between each illumination setting which I like vs only 2 off settings on the hi lux. Between these 2 scopes, my personal opinion I give a slight edge to the hi lux.
Thanks for the suggestion, I will do some research on the CMR4 as well, I do like that reticle. It is always nice to get a good idea of what's out there, and that one hadn't come up at all while looking around for a 1-4.

Vortex Viper PST 1-4
Yeah, this seems to come pretty highly recommended in this category. The no questions asked warrant really adds a lot of value as well, especially when mounting on a SCAR.

what if you just got another eotech and a magnifier? other than that the vortex is supposed to be very good and I've seen a lot of good things about the hilux but have never personally used one.
As to the EOTech, as much as I like them, I plan to wait until the dust settles with their lawsuit and they can illustrate what their sights can and cannot do going forward. I had considered adding a magnifier at one point before all the "drama" started. Maybe they will hit the drawing board and revise their sights in a way that prevents future issues. I would like some reassurances, otherwise, I may have to look into alternative solutions for other firearms as well.

Hmmm dont want to break the bank look at that 1x6 Vortex Strike Eagle

I went with a Leupold Mk6 on my 17 in a Spuhr mount
Yes, I have looked at the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6, seems like a nice optic. It's definitely heavier than the others I am looking at, and the clarity seems to be a bit below the others as well. But that would be expected when you're getting 1-6 at that price point. I would love the Leupold Mk6...however...this year NFA and 41P have been redirecting my resources!:th_653:

Somewhat off topic, but how long after your filled out and sent your return request did it take for you to get an RMA from Eotech?
I sent in my original refund request using the Return Authorization Request Form late Sunday night. It was approved on Tuesday, first thing in the morning. I shipped it back to them USPS Priority a few hours after that.

Also, decided to send in another that I WAS going to hang onto. I figured that in the worst case, I can repurchase a revised model IF/WHEN they come out with one, otherwise, I'll have funds available to replace it with something else. Hard to trust that they will come to a resolution when they have been so deceptive. So cash in hand while waiting it out seemed like a better option. Sent that request in on Tuesday afternoon and was approved this afternoon.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If I may put in my .02. I have looked through the Vortex, Burris, and Leuy. I find the Vortex PST Viper 1-4 to have more bang for the buck, eye relief ect. The glass on those can be hit or miss with either trash in the recticle that a towel, phone book and thump can take care of or its glass is ok not spectacular. Granted it's been a few years since I looked through one and those QC issues may be in check and the glass being better. The Razor HD line are well worth the coin, they are just heavy and as your post stated out of the price range. Some optics will cover the lack of glass quality by allowing more light in. Every Burris I have ever looked through is very nice and now they are partnered with Steiner, I would expect good quality on the mechanics. The eye box to me was ok but not as good as the Vortex. The Leuy, good class but I did not care for the eye box or the set up of the optic, still a good scope just wasn't what I personally like. I have never had a chance to handle a Leather Wood Optic so I cant offer anything on that.

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
From your choices/ I'd go with Vortex or the trijicon. I own both and have one on my scar! Vortex u can't go wrong-- only in not choosing the one u want.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
One thing I have read multiple times about the Vortex Viper PST 1-4, is that the illumination is not something that is useful in daylight, where as the other options seem to perform decent to well in daylight. Does anyone that has used one have feedback on this? I know that it is not really necessary to have the illumination during the day, but certainly would be an extra to have it.

Also, as mentioned, I plan to use an ADM Delta QD mount with whatever I decide to get. Is this mount overkill for a 1-4? My opinion at this point is that it may be, but for a solid mount (Plus QD), it's one of the better options. An option which could come in handy in the future too if/when I ever did decide to get a longer range or higher quality optic.

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
I have same mount- as mentioned. Works great and will clear the rear sight. To be specific I have the vortex razor hd on my scar 17, I had the trijicon on my 16 (I later replaced it with an acog). I do not have the viper, but I do own a few leupold similar to one mentioned (set up on a 30 cal). That is a solid deal too. I think if you could stretch your budget a bit- you could get a more bang and a great deal

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
One thing I have read multiple times about the Vortex Viper PST 1-4, is that the illumination is not something that is useful in daylight, where as the other options seem to perform decent to well in daylight. Does anyone that has used one have feedback on this? I know that it is not really necessary to have the illumination during the day, but certainly would be an extra to have it.

Also, as mentioned, I plan to use an ADM Delta QD mount with whatever I decide to get. Is this mount overkill for a 1-4? My opinion at this point is that it may be, but for a solid mount (Plus QD), it's one of the better options. An option which could come in handy in the future too if/when I ever did decide to get a longer range or higher quality optic.
If you want to regain weight saving but have a super solid mount - give this a read: Quiet DoD Geissele Project Revealed - Super Precision Mount | RECOIL

Bill will be selling these in 2016 both in 7075 t6 and the uber light 2099 (NASA uses the stuff) both machined from solid billet

My guess who the DOD customer is (more than likely CAG/CIF/FBI HRT) - and look and the mounting surface ... 2 recoil lugs and the cross bolts...tight tolerance to mate to the 1913 rail and V shape on the underside... DOD requirement for the optic to be removed and replace back and retain absolute zero.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have the Vortex PST 2.5-10 x 32 and can shoot both eyes open on 2.5 setting. I just purchased the Vortex Strike eagle 1-6 x 24 for another rifle. Have not shot with that one yet, but to me its the next one below 2.5x10 in range and is a true 1x on low setting.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have same mount- as mentioned. Works great and will clear the rear sight. To be specific I have the vortex razor hd on my scar 17, I had the trijicon on my 16 (I later replaced it with an acog). I do not have the viper, but I do own a few leupold similar to one mentioned (set up on a 30 cal). That is a solid deal too. I think if you could stretch your budget a bit- you could get a more bang and a great deal
Excellent, great to hear more positives about that mount. That Vortex Razor HD looks like a great optic as well. I "could" stretch my budget a bit for this, but it would end up reducing my "making the SCAR quiet" fund!
:th_anim_coffee:
If you want to regain weight saving but have a super solid mount - give this a read: Quiet DoD Geissele Project Revealed - Super Precision Mount | RECOIL

Bill will be selling these in 2016 both in 7075 t6 and the uber light 2099 (NASA uses the stuff) both machined from solid billet

My guess who the DOD customer is (more than likely CAG/CIF/FBI HRT) - and look and the mounting surface ... 2 recoil lugs and the cross bolts...tight tolerance to mate to the 1913 rail and V shape on the underside... DOD requirement for the optic to be removed and replace back and retain absolute zero.
Wow, now that looks interesting! That might just be worth the wait..although "unknown" pricing and availability might keep my ADM Delta on track to the mailbox. May just have to put it off for a little bit to see if any additional information trickles out. Thanks for the info though, hadn't seen anything about that before.

I have the Vortex PST 2.5-10 x 32 and can shoot both eyes open on 2.5 setting. I just purchased the Vortex Strike eagle 1-6 x 24 for another rifle. Have not shot with that one yet, but to me its the next one below 2.5x10 in range and is a true 1x on low setting.
Very nice, good to know. I will have to take a look through a range of options that are near the 1x to see what they look like.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have been switching all my optics to vortex slowly and up until recently thanks to a new range have hardly any experience with any mid range rifle shooting. I love the look of the 1x4 viper but can anyone explain to a dummy the difference between the moa and mrad reticle

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Look at the trijicon accupoint tr24. I really like mine.
I did take a look through one of those the other day, I really do like Trijicon. The TR24 reticle didn't quite match what I'm looking for, however, it's still on my list of possibilities. But as I was just looking into it again just now, I see they released a new line this year. The Trijicon AccuPower - and the RS24 is very similar, however with a battery operated reticle instead of fiber optic. I really like the segmented circle/dot reticle option, albeit a .223 BDC. Another option to look into anyhow.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts