FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my scar today, I want to use it for hunting whitetail and Mule Deer along with Elk.

1. Scope options? I want something that'll be my bread and butter from 25-100Meters but be dependable to get out to 200-250 if I need to.

2. Ammunition ? I would prefer something with a little knock down power as well as keep high speed to around 250 meters.

Any advice and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
308 Posts
For a scope, I would go for something like a Trijicon Accupower 1-8x28. That should give you adequate magnification, FOV, and durability to handle the violent Scar recoil.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
congrats on your new Scar H.
since your rifle is accurate out beyond 600 yards, any quality hunting ammo between 150-175gr is likely to work fine at those moderate ranges without having to spend too much on anything fancy (depending on what you're hunting).

·
Registered
771 Posts
Congrats on the new rifle!

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Make sure to check local rules, you may need to get a 5 round mag.
Use the factory 10 round with a block in it for 5 rounds per your state laws. I'll second the Trijicon Accupower 1-8 as a good hunting scope, worked well for me on whitetails back home in Tennessee. Used the SCAR on a mulie here in Colorado a few years ago with a bigger scope, 150gr dropped him in his tracks at 200 yards.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've a Vortex Viper PST 4-16 with an ADM QD mount that I just love. It's been rock solid on my 17, (6 years now)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I did the same thing you did in anticipation to hunt Muleys with my scar . I tested 8 or so rounds . The Federal Non Typical 150 grain shoots extremely accurate for me to 300 yards my max I’d feel comfortable at on game . It will shoot 1”At 100 meters and stay 2-3” at 300 meters . Also Federal fusion msr 150 grain is humming a little faster out of the barrel and has better FT/LBs further out , but slightly less accurate about 1.5 inches at 100 meters and opens up quite a bit at 300 meters to about 4” .

150s match up perfectly to a Elcan 1.5-6x anything higher grain and the BDC doesn’t work as well for me . I bought a few 10 round factory mags and bought mag blocks for them that limited me to 5 rounds due to regs . Hope that helps . Good luck with your selection and your hunts . Unfortunately this year I didn’t get chosen in my draw .

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Welcome to the Brotherhood of the SCAR. Good luck on your hunt this fall.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Welcome! 8)

A high quality 1-8 LPVO should do the job for you perfectly.

I rarely use anything but milsurp ball in my 17, so I don't have any load recommendations. Sounds like the guys above have it figured out though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
More to my previous post . I should add .. the .308 150 grain Federal Power Shok (blue box) and the Federal Non Typical (American Flag with deer rack) are the exact same rounds and shoot exactly the same . It’s a marketing thing Federal has even said so much . Really Good soft point ammo for hunting deer . It’s really cheap for soft point hunting ammo and very accurate .

·
Registered
308 Posts
150s match up perfectly to a Elcan 1.5-6x anything higher grain and the BDC doesn’t work as well for me . I bought a few 10 round factory mags and bought mag blocks for them that limited me to 5 rounds due to regs.
I didn't know 5rnd magazine blocks existed. Cool. Regarding your comment about the bullet weight and the Elcan 6x BDC, I've had descent results with 168g, but I live at high altitude. I found it interesting that Raytheon designed the 1.5x/6x with a blended reticle (7.62 NATO & 168g).

·
Registered
37 Posts
150s match up perfectly to a Elcan 1.5-6x anything higher grain and the BDC doesn’t work as well for me . I bought a few 10 round factory mags and bought mag blocks for them that limited me to 5 rounds due to regs.
I didn't know 5rnd magazine blocks existed. Cool. Regarding your comment about the bullet weight and the Elcan 6x BDC, I've had descent results with 168g, but I live at high altitude. I found it interesting that Raytheon designed the 1.5x/6x with a blended reticle (7.62 NATO & 168g).
I read that too Tek about the blended reticle and was hopeful because you hear so much praise on those matchkings . I tried to get 168 matchkings to work for me but when zeroed at 100 meters if I recall I was 10-12” low at the 300 meter reticle unless the humidity is extremely high . Which is fine I could do a holdover on my 300 meter reticle ... but that defeated the purpose of the BDC in my eyes . In the winter time when temps are 20-30 degrees the drop was worse than the summer time when it’s 80s and 90 outside . But my hunting takes place in cold temps so that’s what I tested in mostly .

The 165 Sierra Gamekings I really wanted to make work they are super accurate and time tested but they also required a holdover of about 10” in the winter time unless humidity is extremely high .

I am at 600-630 feet above sea level for reference . All in all .. The 150 grainers seem to really match up for me in an Elcan 1.5-6x compared to 165 and 168 and 175 grainers at my altitude I’ve tested .

·
Registered
125 Posts
you'll be great with a Vortex Razor, nothing less than 6-18x50... 150 grain Federal works amazing on hogs and I'm sure you'll be just fine on deer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Congrats on the scar heavy.
I went with trijicon accupoint 3-9 due to that scope having the green dot with no battery needed- in wa state its illegal to hunt big game with anything electrical on your gun. But no mag capacity restrictions. I reload so use barnes tsx triple shock. But have had pretty good result with federal fusion before i started reloading. Also one tip if you hunt around a confined area use hearing pertection, i touched one off a few seasons ago down in a small canyon and thought i blew my right eardrum out. Good luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Bang for the buck its hard to beat the Vortex Razor. The Triji that was mentioned a few times is an awesome scope but for hunting I like a much brighter scope. low light and flat light conditions a 50 or 55 diameter is great at light gathering and the coatings on the Razor are superb. I have shot a lot different manufactures hunting rounds and these days I am using Hordany White Tail. Mostly in 30 06 and 7mm Mag. Very consistent and their info on the rounds is accurate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Scar 17 & Elk

Congratulations! I have been using my 17s on elk for about 10 yrs now. It has claimed 4 Bulls and 5 cows to its credit. Regarding an optic, I won’t make any recommendation as there are so many good choices out there depending on how deep you want to dive in to your pocket, but since this is a firearms site, I must share an opinion... focus on glass quality before magnification level. Sitting on top my Scar for the last decade has been a Trijicon 3.5x Acog with 308 holdovers and it has served me well... I have never missed a shot w/ my longest shot on an elk being at about 400 yds and I have never had to take a second shot.

I will also add that if you are going to hunt with it and needing to take long shots on elk, add a Geissele Super Scar Trigger to your budget... it will be as important to you as the glass that you choose.

For hunting ammo, I have always used Nosler Custom 165gr Accubond ammo and as I said before, I have never had to take a second shot.

I have never shot a deer with my Scar as I have always used a 6.8spc for my deer hunts during the last 10ish years, but I know the Scar would be just fine...obviously!

Good luck with your hunts!

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello Deo7

I have the following optic specifically designed for the SCAR 17s NEW and in the box for sale $1600 free shipping. Let me know if you'd be interested.

1 × Elcan SpecterDR Dual Role 1x / 4x Optical SightsSelect:7.62 CX5396 Ballistic Reticle - Black

I just bought my scar today, I want to use it for hunting whitetail and Mule Deer along with Elk.

1. Scope options? I want something that'll be my bread and butter from 25-100Meters but be dependable to get out to 200-250 if I need to.

2. Ammunition ? I would prefer something with a little knock down power as well as keep high speed to around 250 meters.

Any advice and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts