FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. New member here and new scar 17 owner. I own a couple of fn handguns but this is my first scar. Ive read alot on these forums and now im ready to join the party.

I searched but couldn't find a definite answer to my question. I bought my SCAR 17 used from a local guy. He took the rear sight off and now he cant locate it. I called FN and they want $157 plus shipping for the rear sight. So my question is this, since I'm gonna be buying a new sight anyway, is there any others I should be looking at or is the factory sight pretty much it? I'm not interested in changing out the front sight so I just need to know which rear sights would work with the factory front sight. Thanks.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Bummer about the lost SCAR irons. They are pretty nice. Hopefully he finds them and hooks you up.

Judging by the cowitness of my SCAR irons and other optics (e.g., EOTech 553, EXPS3-0), the SCAR rear sight is the same height as standard AR folding rear sights. I would recommend the KAC irons, as they are roughly the cost (or less on eBay--just avoid "USMC"-marked ones) of what FNH USA is quoting you.

The KAC 200-600m will offer windage and elevation adjustment but have only a small aperture. The KAC 300m offer only windage but have a large aperture and a plug for small aperture--these are more CQB irons but are among my favorites. The FN irons give windage and elevation adjustment as well as large and small apertures.

Here is a pic of a KAC rear on a MK17 with 5.56 conversion for reference:

·
Registered
372 Posts
For the cost I would just go with an optic. But if you have spare rear sights laying around, you can put it on and try zeroing with it, SCARs have standard rail that fit most BUIS.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
+1 on the KAC ones. They can be had for around $100-$125 used if you dont want to pay full retail.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick replies. Yea i was kinda bummed when i seen he didnt have the rear sight but he knocked some off the price. Im not against paying for the factory one but I didnt want to pay that much if there were better options. And i do plan on putting some type of optic on it but my brain hurts trying to figure out which one. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But, buying five different optics in sequence because you can't figure out which one you like best is part of the fun! (Ask me how I know.) :)
Now thats funny. Which one did you finally settle on? For the time being anyway.

I wound up taking a troy battle sight off one of my ar's and putting on the scar. I would have done that to begin with but this DA at the lgs said it wouldnt work because the front sight of the scar was taller than your normal ar rear sight. I measured and found out he obviously didn't know what he was talking about. It works just fine.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Now thats funny. Which one did you finally settle on? For the time being anyway.
I settled on an Aimpoint CompML3 red dot reflex sight and Aimpoint 3x magnifier mounted in a LaRue Tactical flip to side mount. It allows me to run my 17S as a close range carbine while still being able to flip the magnifier into place for easier shot placement out to 300 yards or so. Also, I have another .308 rifle with a scope, so I didn't really feel the need to have two rifles set up that way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts