FN Herstal Firearms banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Jeremy, so would you say that there is no safe way to attach the 762 SOCOM-RC or the 556 SOCOM-RC to the SCAR 17s and 16s due to the fact that the SCAR barrel lacks a suitable shoulder for the muzzle devise to mate up with ?

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The Surefire meets up with the barrel face before the shoulder. Someone said that they make a special Scar muzzle device but I haven't seen it. For the purpose of this test I put a no if it didn't interface with the shoulder. Some people have had success with using the barrel face but we have had several customers that had issues doing that. I'm not saying that it won't work just that for this information it didn't meet the requirements.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
My comment didn't make clear that my emphasis was really on the 90T mount. Haven't really heard anything about its compatibility with the 17s. Was wondering if the 90T was recommended or not by AAC considering all of the conflicting information about the 51T mount.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
My comment didn't make clear that my emphasis was really on the 90T mount. Haven't really heard anything about its compatibility with the 17s. Was wondering if the 90T was recommended or not by AAC considering all of the conflicting information about the 51T mount.
This reminded me to check something. I check the 90t for the MK-13 but not the SR-7. So I just checked the SR-7 mounts and they are a go.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I used the standard shims that SilencerCo includes with their brakes. They seem to be closer to the threads than the other shims that I tested that is why I used them. For the Brakes I used shims and I did not use shims on the flash hiders. I was able to actually time the brake using the shims. I took a picture the SilencerCo shims are on the top and the AAC is on the bottom.
View attachment 33939
Awesome, thanks. That is pretty much what I was hoping you had found. The AAC shims basically bent/extruded over the shoulder when I tried them because as you noted, the inside diameter is too large. It ended up forming the shim into a cone shape as I tried to tighten the brake and was certainly not something you could trust to keep the can concentric.

If the Silencerco shims have a smaller ID I can see how they could have just enough shoulder to work. I have the Specwar 762 and Saker 762 brakes, and didn't get shims with either of them. Maybe the Saker shims are still in the box with the can at the dealer and I just didn't look close enough. Any chance you could put the Silencerco shim pack for sale on your website?

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
We don't get the shims separate but I'll see what I can do. If you need some let me know and I'll get some extra from SilencerCo.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Alright, go ahead and head slap..I feel like I'm in grade school again or I've somehow lossed reading comprehension.

I thought that no muzzle device should contact the shoulder of the SCAR barrel because the shoulder is not sufficient, not at 90 degrees and not capable of providing an index to the bore(terminology?).

You are saying that the only compatible muzzle devices are ones that DO contact, and use shims--- to the shoulder of the SCAR barrel threads--in your opinion. Do I have that right? (Not challenging you at all just feel like my eyes are crossed or something.):?:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
This reminded me to check something. I check the 90t for the MK-13 but not the SR-7. So I just checked the SR-7 mounts and they are a go.
Thanks again for updating the list to include the SR-7 90T mount, glad to hear that it will be compatible with the 17s barrel

·
FN Supporter
435 Posts
I have a few comments about these findings. There is no problem with muzzle devices that index on the muzzle AS LONG AS THAT'S THE WAY THEY WERE DESIGNED. That means they need to have flat bottoms as well as internal thread relief. This also demands that the muzzle be square which, with every FN product I've seen, is not a problem. The device can also index on the shoulder in the more traditional fashion. It's clear that the SCAR series shoulders are very small and my PERSONAL opinion is that it's better to not use shims between the device and the barrel. That view is sometimes supported by AAC and sometimes not and Jeremy's results contradict my opinion. I'm not arguing with his results, and thank him for providing this service to the community, but I do still have my opinion.

·
Registered
465 Posts
My griffin armament 762 taper mount brake is using their shims and appear to be bending over the shoulder a bit. Kinda concerning. It looks like your findings have confirmed griffins mounts are gtg. I am in california and do not need to worry about suppressor mounting but still want my brakes to be correct. I ordered a specwar 762 to use on my ak believe it or not so hopefully it comes with shims and ill have enough for my ak and scar. I should have ordered from you, been 2 weeks and no ship notification yet. For some of these devices contacting the muzzle first could you not use a crush washer or jam nut? If not with a can what about without?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I got the notice from AAC about their new Brakeout 2.0 90T mount for the SR-7, I was curious if you all at SilencerShop would be kind enough to update this list with this Brakeout. However, AAC does specifically state on their website that the Brakeout 2.0 90T mount for the SR-7 is Not for use on SCAR 17s...

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I got the notice from AAC about their new Brakeout 2.0 90T mount for the SR-7, I was curious if you all at SilencerShop would be kind enough to update this list with this Brakeout. However, AAC does specifically state on their website that the Brakeout 2.0 90T mount for the SR-7 is Not for use on SCAR 17s...
Just to confirm 90T Brakeout 2.0 is a no go?

21 - 40 of 69 Posts