FN Herstal Firearms banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
So, with all the angst about the AAC Brakeout 2.0 being good or not on a SCAR-17, does anyone know of a case where this combination caused either a baffle or end cap strike?

I realize that AAC changed their recommendation on using this combination, but so far, real world reports don't seem to indicate a problem. Jeremy tested the Brakeout 2.0 successfully and others are reporting no problems. I mounted this brake on my SCAR and have fired it without any problems (good accuracy, no POI shift or key holing), but have yet to attach a can and give it the "here goes nothing" test.

Anybody here actually know of a firsthand account of an issue?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
So, with all the angst about the AAC Brakeout 2.0 being good or not on a SCAR-17, does anyone know of a case where this combination caused either a baffle or end cap strike?

I realize that AAC changed their recommendation on using this combination, but so far, real world reports don't seem to indicate a problem. Jeremy tested the Brakeout 2.0 successfully and others are reporting no problems. I mounted this brake on my SCAR and have fired it without any problems (good accuracy, no POI shift or key holing), but have yet to attach a can and give it the "here goes nothing" test.

Anybody here actually know of a firsthand account of an issue?
FWIW I have shot approx 400rds through my scar17 with a sdn6+ brakeout2 on it without issue. I am just not 100% confident shooting it suppressed now that aac cant figure out which mount is safe

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I talked to AAC and their reason for saying that it doesn't work is that the muzzle is to far forward in the Brakeout and could cause baffle erosion. Honestly I think that is not the case. I can't see how that would effect the silencer at all.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Once my damn the man rebate finally is processed I think I'll be going with the Brakeout 2.0 90T mount for my SR-7 regardless of AAC's position considering it will be installed on the end my 17s SBR

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
My eyes are spinning and I am confused. Can the trifecta brake be used on the scar 17 or not? If it can do you use shims or not?

·
Registered
757 Posts
I realize the desire for a brake for the possible 'suppressor preserver' effect, but unless someone can prove me wrong---the ECP flash hider indexes on the muzzle, the MITER indexed on the muzzle, the SF flash hiders index on the muzzle...it looks to me like the original intention was to to engineer the SCAR barrel so that the muzzle device indexes on the muzzle, why fight the current, here? Better yet why hasn't anyone--knowing this--design a brake which indexes of of the muzzle for the SCAR and bada-boom..done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well....Here is my current issue. I have a SCAR 17s and recenty purchased a YMH Phantom LT from SilencerShop. Is there anything I can do to make the muzzle device(Flash Hider) mount correctly? I have not received my suppressor yet, still waiting on the Tax Stamp approval. I sure hope I can make it work, I had no idea there was mounting issues with the muzzle device:(

~Chad~

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I was able to use it using the SilencerCo shims.
I installed the trifecta flash hider just to be extra safe. The trifecta 7.62 muzzle brake was included with my 7.62 Saker can. I may install the muzzle brake once more users report favorably using the silencerco shims.

Thanks Jeremy, this data is sorely needed!

I vote for this thread to be a sticky in both Silencer shop's forum, and in the SBR, Suppressors and NFA Items forum.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Well....Here is my current issue. I have a SCAR 17s and recenty purchased a YMH Phantom LT from SilencerShop. Is there anything I can do to make the muzzle device(Flash Hider) mount correctly? I have not received my suppressor yet, still waiting on the Tax Stamp approval. I sure hope I can make it work, I had no idea there was mounting issues with the muzzle device:(

~Chad~
We have had a gunsmith create a shim to mount muzzle devices that don't fit. It works ok but has to be done specific for each muzzle device. I can get you his info if you need it.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Recent update. After a recent conversation with Surefire I found out that they include a chamfered spacer in their package to allow the use of their muzzle brakes on the SCAR. We are in the process of trying to stock the Surefire shim kit with spacer so that you can use it on other muzzle devices.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
In case anyone cares, installed the AAC 90T flash hider, unlike the 51T flash hider I've installed on the 16-inch and 13-inch barrel assemblies, it does not cover all of the SCAR's threads, probably won't have any impact with regard to the flash hider's/suppressor's performance but aesthetically it is nice when the muzzle device covers all of the SCAR's threads

·
Registered
15 Posts
In case anyone cares, installed the AAC 90T flash hider, unlike the 51T flash hider I've installed on the 16-inch and 13-inch barrel assemblies, it does not cover all of the SCAR's threads, probably won't have any impact with regard to the flash hider's/suppressor's performance but aesthetically it is nice when the muzzle device covers all of the SCAR's threads
Thanks, Shap! IS this the 90T for the MK13-SD (officially called the 90T Ratchet Mount) or the 90T Ratchet Taper Mount for the SR7?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Thanks, Shap! IS this the 90T for the MK13-SD (officially called the 90T Ratchet Mount) or the 90T Ratchet Taper Mount for the SR7?
This is the 90T mount for the SR-7, works really well with the SR-7, I have not had a single malfunction with the 13-inch barrel on the 17s suppressed or un-suppressed, the mount has an intense ping though, I know a lot of people thought the 51T mount had a noticeable ping but the 90T mount is a serious tuning fork, still very happy with the SCAR-90T-SR7 combo, hog hunting with it was extremely successful IMG_0747.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had two mild baffle/endcap strikes on my scar 17s/SR-7/90t flash hider set up. No key holing, everything looks lined up and the silencer connection is solid. The round appears to hit the first baffle and deflects to the opposite side to get the endcap. Time to get some professional help

41 - 60 of 69 Posts