FN Herstal Firearms banner

Which optic for the Scar 17?

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Banned
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this new Scar 17 sitting here with tons of upgrades and no optic. I feel torn on whether to run the rifle as a DMR with a variable optic for 600m+ shots or keep it more of a Heavy Battle Rifle for running-N-gunning in classes with a fixed power or lower powered variable optic. If I go the heavy battle rifle route I plan to either pick up the CQC 13" barrel assembly or send my 16" barrel off to Marvin and let him cut it down and then file a Form 1 for an SBR.

We all know there's no one perfect optic for this rifle or any rifle for that matter, everything is a trade off. The following optics all have pros and cons, whether it be FOV, eye relief, power, clarity, ruggedness, weight, or price, they all have merit. Tell me which you would pick and why.

·
Registered
1 Posts
3.5 ACOG. Best bang for your buck, extremely durable, no batteries to mess with, perfect for a 13" Heavy Battle Rifle setup, and it'll look good sitting on top of a 17S.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The last 3 would be my top choices from bottom to top in that order. I went with the 2.5-10×42 NF but I did look at the Leupold offerings. I also considered the USO SR8C but I didn't want to wait for them to make my scope.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
My fav. Scar optics are the 1-4 elcan & 2.5-10x24 NF

Reactions: Sgtpsych

·
Registered
320 Posts
I selected the Leupy MK6 in the poll, but I got the MK6 3-18x for my SCAR because it takes full advantage of all the rifles capabilities.

Jason

·
Registered
600 Posts
A lot of good choices in your poll but as of now I've got a USO 1.8 x 10 x37 on my 17 which I'm mostly just range shooting with. I've got no complaints thus far but I do long for an Elcan Specter Dr 1.5 x6 for some reason. Good luck on your hunt as there are so many options these days with optics.

·
Banned
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So far I have to admit that I am really surprised by the poll results. I figured that Elcan 1.5-6x would be the undisputed leader with the Leupy or Razor variables in a distant second/third. So why the craze for a SFP 2.5-10x and for those that chose the NF, which reticle?

·
Registered
101 Posts
So far I have to admit that I am really surprised by the poll results. I figured that Elcan 1.5-6x would be the undisputed leader with the Leupy or Razor variables in a distant second/third. So why the craze for a SFP 2.5-10x and for those that chose the NF, which reticle?
SFP vs FFP doesn't matter too much for me. I chose the NF 2.5-10 because it is compact and gives a good amount of magnification to match what the .308 is capable of. I went with the MOAR reticle and MOA adjustment. The only benefit a FFP scope has is you can range at any magnification, with a SFP it is set up at max magnification.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I don't have the Elcan 1.5X6 but I have an Elcan 1X4 on my SBR and a NF 2.5x10x42 MOAR reticle on my Scar 17 (and a NF ATACR on another rifle). The Elcan and NF are both great with amazing glass. They weigh about the same after you add the mount for the NF so I like having the extra reach on the scar and I personally feel the glass on the NF is superior to my Elcan, better eye relief on the NF and not to mention the NF cost less even with the cost of a mount.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I can't see going from $1600 (less if you shop around a lot) for Nightforce to $2800 for the Elcan 1.5-6. Sure, the Elcan is all cool and huge reticle...but for almost 2x the price, it's not 2x the optic.
Seals use Nightforce too...American Sniper has Nightforce on his Rem 700 if you watch the movie closely. worked for him, sure it would work for you. I prefer the MOAR reticle on mine...easier for me to mentally walk through adjustments. Second choice would be Mil-dot.

what others say:

The Raytheon ELCAN SpecterDR is very popular as an optic for the M4 Carbine or AR15. It has a 4x magnification and costs about $2K. This is a good optic but we recommend using the Night Force 2.5-10×32 Scope. This optic is a small version of the scope used by U.S. Special Forces snipers. It has a 10x magnification and elevation and windage are easily dialed in. The mil dot reticle allows you to use “holds” for quick target acquisition at different ranges. The Night Force 2.5-10×32 Scope will set you back about $1300 which is less than the ELCAN and we feel you get a bigger bang for your buck. The Night Force is more versatile and allows you to see out to the maximum effective range of your assault rifle.

another FN forum post had this in it,RIGHT on the target IMO:
Flat glass sights work best for me to keep both eyes open, avoid having to maintain perfect cheek weld, and keep the target in my peripheral view at all times while positioning the reticle. In fact, my favorite sight right now is the Leupold Deltapoint... what I've found is that when it comes to fractions of a second to get on target, a thin-walled, small, inconspicuous sight such as the Deltapoint, the Trjicon RMR, or even the old C-more railways is LIGHTYEARS faster than the most expensive, bulky, and heavy tactical sights.

Now for all the Elcan lovers out there, myself included, the optic on a full-length rifle is very nice. I have it mounted on my AUG A3, and the bullpup design and high-mounted pic rail is a perfect match. I'd say the FS2000 would be just as good for it, or maybe even a PS90 tri-rail, but no way in hell would I ever want to depend on the Elcan for indoors or close quarters shooting, its just not made for it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I can't see going from $1600 (less if you shop around a lot) for Nightforce to $2800 for the Elcan 1.5-6. Sure, the Elcan is all cool and huge reticle...but for almost 2x the price, it's not 2x the optic.
Seals use Nightforce too...American Sniper has Nightforce on his Rem 700 if you watch the movie closely. worked for him, sure it would work for you. I prefer the MOAR reticle on mine...easier for me to mentally walk through adjustments. Second choice would be Mil-dot.

what others say:

The Raytheon ELCAN SpecterDR is very popular as an optic for the M4 Carbine or AR15. It has a 4x magnification and costs about $2K. This is a good optic but we recommend using the Night Force 2.5-10×32 Scope. This optic is a small version of the scope used by U.S. Special Forces snipers. It has a 10x magnification and elevation and windage are easily dialed in. The mil dot reticle allows you to use “holds” for quick target acquisition at different ranges. The Night Force 2.5-10×32 Scope will set you back about $1300 which is less than the ELCAN and we feel you get a bigger bang for your buck. The Night Force is more versatile and allows you to see out to the maximum effective range of your assault rifle.

another FN forum post had this in it,RIGHT on the target IMO:
Flat glass sights work best for me to keep both eyes open, avoid having to maintain perfect cheek weld, and keep the target in my peripheral view at all times while positioning the reticle. In fact, my favorite sight right now is the Leupold Deltapoint... what I've found is that when it comes to fractions of a second to get on target, a thin-walled, small, inconspicuous sight such as the Deltapoint, the Trjicon RMR, or even the old C-more railways is LIGHTYEARS faster than the most expensive, bulky, and heavy tactical sights.

Now for all the Elcan lovers out there, myself included, the optic on a full-length rifle is very nice. I have it mounted on my AUG A3, and the bullpup design and high-mounted pic rail is a perfect match. I'd say the FS2000 would be just as good for it, or maybe even a PS90 tri-rail, but no way in hell would I ever want to depend on the Elcan for indoors or close quarters shooting, its just not made for it.
so..... yesterday you send me a pm asking "what is that optic on your rifle?" when I replied that it was a elcan specter you said that you had "never seen one before" today you are a expert on the optic and even claiming to have one mounted on a rifle... which one is it?

·
Registered
600 Posts
we feel you get a bigger bang for your buck. The Night Force is more versatile and allows you to see out to the maximum effective range of your assault rifle.

Who is We? and the Scar 17 is a battle rifle I believe and not an Assault rifle as far as I know. I'm not picking on you just wondering where this came from?

·
Registered
740 Posts
SFP vs FFP doesn't matter too much for me. I chose the NF 2.5-10 because it is compact and gives a good amount of magnification to match what the .308 is capable of. I went with the MOAR reticle and MOA adjustment. The only benefit a FFP scope has is you can range at any magnification, with a SFP it is set up at max magnification.
with ffp you can use your drop (mil dots) at any power setting and you will hit your target. With sfp they only line up at min and max power.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I can tell you what my personal choices are and they're none of the above.

1. Leupold HAMR with backup Deltapoint for the black 17S.

2. Eotech XPS2-2 for the tan 17S.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts