FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been a few years since I have done a Form 1, so wanted to ensure ATF has not changed some stuff before I send it.

1. Is it still OK to engrave the barrel? I have the 13" barrel assembly and plan to engrave my info on the barrel.

2. Does anyone have the total length of the SCAR 17 with the 13" barrel that has had a Form 1 approved?

Thats all I have for now. Thanks in advance!

·
FN Supporter
433 Posts
You'll read all sorts of thngs about engraving. At the end of the day every C-II manufacturer I know, myself included, engraves the receiver.

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
This us a stupid question and asked many x's, however not sure of answer -- does receiver have to be engraved? My sot informed me I could simply register the serial # and that would satisfy the FedsFeds

·
Registered
604 Posts
You'll read all sorts of thngs about engraving. At the end of the day every C-II manufacturer I know, myself included, engraves the receiver.
Ditto. Barrels wear out and need to be replaced every so often.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do not recommend engraving the barrel but to each his own. Nothing has changed except the wait times.
Why is it not recommended to engrave the barrel?

I have the 13" barrel and 16" so between the two I will probably not wear out both barrels. If I do, I will just buy another 13" and have it engraved also, no big deal.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
why not engrave a receiver which never wears out. NOBODY I know engraves the barrel nobody. legal yes, good idea no
When you engrave the reciever it kills the resale value. No person I know would buy a gun with my name engraved in it. I will be doing the barrel. Thanks everyone for the replies.

·
Registered
476 Posts
My question would be... if you engrave the barrel and then you want to sell it down the road... it's not like the engraving goes away when you sell it??? And if it's SBR'ed by you it always maintains your engraving... it doesn't swap when its transferred to someone else... So what's the big deal about the location? I say just keep it discrete if resale is a concern.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My question would be... if you engrave the barrel and then you want to sell it down the road... it's not like the engraving goes away when you sell it??? And if it's SBR'ed by you it always maintains your engraving... it doesn't swap when its transferred to someone else... So what's the big deal about the location? I say just keep it discrete if resale is a concern.
I wouldent sell it as an SBR. I would just throw the 16" barrel back on it and have it taken out of the registery. Much easier to sell that way.

·
Registered
841 Posts
You can engrave the barrel, or the upper or the lower, but it has to be clearly visible, so a lot of SBRs it's not very effective to do the barrel.

i.e. there is no legal way to engrave a 10" SCAR 16S barrel and meet the rules, in my opinion.

The (required) information must be engraved, casted, stamped (impressing) or otherwise conspicuously placed or caused to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size of the Serial number shall be no smaller than 1/16 inch.

With the availability of aftermarket (or factory spare) lowers, and the fact that the lower is not the registered item, another good option for maximum transferability is to engrave the lower. Then you can always get a SEAL / HANDL / factory lower if you want to have the ability to easily sell in the future.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another option is to register the SBR to a gun trust. Then the full name of the trust, "XYZ Tactical Rifles" or whatever you choose, would be on the rifle instead of your name.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another question since its been a min since I did my last FN Form 1. If anyone has recently got back an approved Form 1 on a SCAR that can answer these questions it would be great. What was the location you used for FNH? Last, is the NFA saying to put or not to put the info you are engraving in the additional description box? I know at one time they were changing their mind on this depending on who the examiner was... Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Correct, the muzzle device wouldn't count in the barrel measurement. But it would count toward the overall length, thus the "overall" measurement.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
You can engrave the barrel, or the upper or the lower, but it has to be clearly visible, so a lot of SBRs it's not very effective to do the barrel.

i.e. there is no legal way to engrave a 10" SCAR 16S barrel and meet the rules, in my opinion.

The (required) information must be engraved, casted, stamped (impressing) or otherwise conspicuously placed or caused to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size of the Serial number shall be no smaller than 1/16 inch.

With the availability of aftermarket (or factory spare) lowers, and the fact that the lower is not the registered item, another good option for maximum transferability is to engrave the lower. Then you can always get a SEAL / HANDL / factory lower if you want to have the ability to easily sell in the future.
The lower is not a "receiver" as described by FN, it's a "trigger module" in the manual. Is this kosher with the ATF to engrave it? The SCAR is more like an HK than an AR.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Why is it not recommended to engrave the barrel?

I have the 13" barrel and 16" so between the two I will probably not wear out both barrels. If I do, I will just buy another 13" and have it engraved also, no big deal.
Once you register the rifle as an SBR, even if you put the 16" barrel on for a range trip it's still considered an SBR unless you remove it from the registry. So if it were checked the serial number will still show it's an SBR no matter what barrel you have on it, but if you put the 16" barrel on your engraved information is no longer on the rifle, making you in violation of the Class 3 rules. So if you engrave the 13" barrel, you can only swap barrels if you remove it from the SBR registry, or you will need to engrave every barrel with the same info.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts