FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Don't own a suppressor yet, but I recently got my trust done. My main concern is how's the weight/balance hanging off the end of the 16" barrel? Is it too long to handle well for its battle rifle design?

It seems in an ideal world, I could just get a shorter barrel, but that'd be about $1300 with the tax stamp. Half the price of another Scar 17! But if it's a really noticeable difference, I could probably convince myself to go with it.

And just outta curiosity... is it even technically possible for FN to ever release CQB (SBR) versions of the Scar from the factory?

·
Registered
71 Posts
In my experience, obviously, it is a little more front heavy with a suppressor on the end, but just extending my grip a little farther forward, makes up the difference, although I hold pretty close to the magazine well, normally. That being said, it seems, at least to me, to be a lot easier to handle with a silencer (AAC SDN-6 in my case) than my standard 16" Stag Arms Ar-15 clone...at least for what it's worth.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Have you thought about going with an OSS 7.62 can? The can sits mostly over the barrel, and does not hang off of the end of the barrel much. With the fully assembled Sound Reduction Module on, if I recall correctly, it hangs off about 4" off of the end. IMO that's not much. Plus you will get the sbr look with the benefits of the longer barrel with it installed. You're also saving the sbr barrel money and stamp funds, like you said, roughly $1300. I picked one up recently for my scar 17. The way I see it, I was going to sbr the thing anyway and get a can, so this way I get the best of both worlds at half the price. Buy 1 get the other free kinda.

With just the Back Pressure Regulator (Short Conifg)

With Sound Reduction Module (Extended Config)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Have you thought about going with an OSS 7.62 can? The can sits mostly over the barrel, and does not hang off of the end of the barrel much. With the fully assembled Sound Reduction Module on, if I recall correctly, it hangs off about 4" off of the end. IMO that's not much. Plus you will get the sbr look with the benefits of the longer barrel with it installed. You're also saving the sbr barrel money and stamp funds, like you said, roughly $1300. I picked one up recently for my scar 17. The way I see it, I was going to sbr the thing anyway and get a can, so this way I get the best of both worlds at half the price. Buy 1 get the other free kinda.

With just the Back Pressure Regulator (Short Conifg)

With Sound Reduction Module (Extended Config)

Holy Moly! That looks perfect! I didn't pay attention at all to OSS since I'm new to suppressors and many people told me they're overpriced and don't suppress well. How do you find them on the suppression side? How heavy are they? I had no idea they mounted onto the barrel like that, really neat!

I think it's either between this or the Silencerco Omega

·
Registered
961 Posts
I sometimes hear my internal banker screaming "DON'T DO IT! STOP! EVERYTIME YOU GO THERE YOU SPEND MONEY!" That guy is such a downer... I want some of that 13" action now!

·
Registered
22,118 Posts
Naturally adding weight to he end will make the front feel heavier.

But one benefit is less muzzle rise.

·
Registered
22,118 Posts
Very nice setup's guys!!!

Reactions: bayonet14

·
Registered
148 Posts
Holy Moly! That looks perfect! I didn't pay attention at all to OSS since I'm new to suppressors and many people told me they're overpriced and don't suppress well. How do you find them on the suppression side? How heavy are they? I had no idea they mounted onto the barrel like that, really neat!

I think it's either between this or the Silencerco Omega
Johnson, mine is still sitting in jail waiting on approval, but I've found that users say that it's not as quite as a specwar or the likes, but still sounds very hearing safe. The sound was said to be very nice as well. I'm not sure how the can feels on the end of the scar 17, but if most of the can sits over the barrel, then it should help with the weight being more evenly distributed and balanced. One of the downsides I've read was cleaning the Flash Hider Muzzle Break was a pain. As there are lots of little fins or turbines to be cleaned. When I get mine, you can trust that my back Pressure regulator is staying on most of the time, I don't want to have to clean it all the time. No point in taking it off if the FHMB is staying on. I have not seen much feedback on SilencerCo's Omega, but I do own 3 of their other cans, and I'm extremely happy with all of them. If you go with one of SilencerCo's offerings, I'm sure you'll be happy. Either way, it comes down to what will be more important to you, sound reduction levels, blowback gases, user serviceability. Good luck on your choice, it's a tough one.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
The Suppressor makes the rifle front end heavy. I use a AAC 762-SDN-6.

There are titanium Suppressor what will cut the weight down. I plan on purchasing the 13" Barrel once my Tax Stamp is approved, but I'll continue to use barrels configurations, 16" & 13".

I think that some of the beauty in the SCAR platform is the ability to quickly change the barrel for your mission.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts