FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a hog hunt in the swamps of central Georgia. The 17 really gets the job done on hogs!

Just a small boar this time, but brought home a cooler full of meat and this one is sized right to be nice and tasty.
It was a night hunt, I used the EWT XLR100 green LED to make the shot about 1 hour after sunset (all legal in GA of course). The green LED doesn't scare them away and makes shots possible in pitch dark out to about 150 yards.

Was shooting the Hornady White Tail with the 150 Interlock Spire Point bullet which have been devastating (as well as the 165 grain version) on every hog I have shot with them. The hog was quartering away from me at about 60 yards so I tagged him just behind the elbow and took out the heart. It was another instant "Pop-Flop", the hog didn't move an inch.

I had the Specwar 762 on and it was awesome. Didn't have to deal with hearing protection at all which was great since I only knew the hog was there by hearing a single stick breaking. The swamp was actually really loud that night as the tree frogs were making so much noise it was hard to hear anything else. My hunting buddy was in another spot about 500 yards away and he said the shot was very quiet, which is nice so that I didn't disturb his hunt as well.

I also had my Sony AZ1 action cam running. I haven't downloaded the video yet but you may be able to see the shot and at least get sound out of it. I will post it up too if it's any good.

The "road" to get back in there. Good thing we were in a lifted 4Runner with BFG's:

Geared up for the night and ready to rock, hiked in the rest of the way since the trucks would have gotten stuck:

View from the stand, the hog was just inside the tree line near the right side of the picture:

XLR100 really works:

SCAR 17 gets it done:

Setup on a different spot on the 2nd night. Heard another hog walking though the swamp nearby but never even saw it since the woods were thick there and it never came out.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice!! Congrats on the good hunt. How did your NF do at twilight and into the dark?? I ask since I have the same scope on mine. Thanks
Thanks guys. The NF did great. I had previously compared it side by side with my Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 (one of my favorite low light hunting scopes) at dusk and as expected light gathering between the two was very close, which is to say both were very good for scopes of this size. The NF did have a little bit better resolution and sharpness though which is really saying something since the Trijicon glass is excellent.

The NF reticle illumination though was actually a little too bright for the last-light dusk conditions even on the lowest "standard" green setting. When I put it into nightvision compatible mode though the illumination was much better, closer to what the Triji offered in terms of being just barely visible so that it doesn't wash our your sight picture. However when used with the XLR100 green LED in total darkness the red color on it's lowest setting worked best. So dusk without any sort of artificial light, the lower level green settings were great. And when pitch dark and using an LED flashlight having the ability to switch the reticle to a red color was a real big improvement. Overall this NF is a big winner in my book, perfect fit for the Scar 17 IMO.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice. Nice Scar. Nice Kifaru. Nice Hog, man.
Thanks man, I love my Kifaru pack. It's funny how it looks new in that picture. I've drug this pack through the nastiest thicket all over the country for the past 7 years and it hardly looks used at all. Definitely a bombproof lifetime piece of made in the USA gear. When I need a bigger out-west pack it will for sure be another Kifaru.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Nice hunt. How much does the acorns and other wild fodder they chow down on improve the flavor of the meat over the supermarket stuff?
It's hard to say, overall the flavor is pretty mild and not as sweet at store bought pork, but it seems to depend more on the individual hog than anything else.

I've hunted hogs in TX, TN, GA, and of course OH (haven't killed any in Ohio yet). My last TX hog was an older boar and it was very gamey tasting, the wife wouldn't eat it. My last TN hog was a chubby sow and was some of the best meat I've ever had. We grilled the tenderloins and backstraps and they were better than anything I have bought in the store. The GA hog I got before this one was a skinny sow, only tasted a tiny bit gamey but it was so lean that it was a challenge to prepare it well.

I suspect this young boar will be really good just based on how the meat looked while quartering, I am breaking out the grinder tonight in fact. :icon_cool: My plan is to grind most of it into different kinds of sausage (I have a few different kinds of seasoning) that can be prepared as a standalone meat or combined into things like meatloaf, chili, meatballs, etc. Just makes it easier to prepare that way instead of an all-day project to smoke a ham or something like that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts