FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys I am a PROUD owner of a SCAR 17 (2years now) maybe 300 rounds fired , sorry just haven't had the time to shoot more lol. OK here is my question I got this guy says he worked with FN during the beginning of releasing stages of this weapon and says there where 2 major issues with the SCAR , he says the upper will crack said it was a flaw , is there any truth to this ? I wouldn't pay him any mind but its kinda like that nagging voice inside my head so i wanna know where he got this from or is it just a guy who wishes he could own this rifle !!?? The other was the stock rattle when its fully extended , which it does rattle a bit . well any help to get that nagging voice out of my head will help lol.

·
Banned
616 Posts
Was this guy sitting behind the gun counter perhaps? I've lost track the number of former Army Special Forces/Delta commandos having participated in the SCAR trials now current gun shop/retail chain employee's with only negatives to say about the weapon. One in particular whom could not even figure out the stock folding latch while attempting to demonstrate. Point being most of the people you'll run into at the range or gun store are simply full of it.

To answer your questions; No, the receiver is extruded aluminum and it's not going to "crack." Not under any amount of stress you as shooter are likely capable of producing. And second, I just have to laugh. "Stock rattle" was a "major issue?" Personal annoyance maybe, but this claim leads me to the obvious conclusion the man is making false representations of his involvement if there even was any to begin with (not likely.)

Just go out, have fun shooting your SCAR, and ignore the stollen valor loons that haven't a clue what they're talking about.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
The rattle problem was a genuine (albeit greatly exaggerated) issue now fixed. The upper cracking thing sounds like BS to me. In any case my SCAR has survived use by my nephew, who could break a ball made of the hardest steel.

I personally know only one ex Army SOF (he served in the GWOT era). He was not issued the SCAR but he was the one of the people who actually steered me to it based his civilian experience with the 17s and on things he heard from guys still on the inside who had been issued it. He is really enthusiastic about the SCAR, particularly in 7.62. He thinks it is an amazing "do everything utility rifle" (I think that is how he puts it). Just one data point, but anyway.

And he roots for Carolina over Dook, so his judgment is generally sound.

·
Registered
757 Posts
^^^all of this this. When I first looked at the SCAR. I remember asking the employees at the biggest one about it. "Oh that, well it's got a 14" barrel with a pinned flash hider and yada-yada, yada--you wanna a really good rifle--get cha good M1A1." Well while I'll agree with the M1A1 being a fine rifle, all the Yada-yada was completely incorrect. Sad this employee wasn't trained better--considering I've seen FN reps in the store talking to the higher ups and making large purchases of ammo and they're a class 3 dealer. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
I have never heard of the Lower or Upper Cracking besides from a Company trying to Peddle a so called FIX for the lower cracking..?? Only problem is, he and his couple Minions are the only ones I have ever heard of who SAY their Polymer lower cracked.. I have read and reviewed this platform more then any other as I personally did not care for it when it first came out.. Aesthetically I didn't like it.. Until I played with one..

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
The stock is usually not as tight as Magpul or other brands.
Some stocks are tighter than others.
I have 4 stocks that have a different feel to them, and use the tightest fitting combo after taking them apart and figuring out which ones have made the best harmony together.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I think Sarge puts it really well. There is some "mean time to failure" for everything.The question is whether that is exceptionally low for a SCAR upper. I certainly see no signs of trouble 12k rounds in on one of mine. The local range has a rental 16s with maybe ~25-30k rounds through it and it looks fine to me.

·
Registered
465 Posts
The stock is usually not as tight as Magpul or other brands.
Some stocks are tighter than others.
I have 4 stocks that have a different feel to them, and use the tightest fitting combo after taking them apart and figuring out which ones have made the best harmony together.
My stock is much tighter than any magpul in wiggle and extending. It takes a good bit of force to extend

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have yet to see a picture of anything broken on a scar 16 or 17. You would think handl would publish these failing scar parts. This is why i have the utmost respect for sgt. Styker, he doesn't try to sell you in the SEAL because the oem is broken unlike the others.

·
Registered
232 Posts
SCAR's receiver is rated for about 90,000 rounds before a full servicing is recommended (regular maintenance is still a good idea) and comes with a lifetime warranty.

Don't worry about it, or sell your older one now and buy one in the 20,000+ serial range that has the new bolt with an extra lug, the stock with the spring clip to stop rattling, the improved button for the folding stock that has a radius instead of a sharp 90 degree turn in the latch and whatever little changes that FN may have made since then.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Here is a photo of a light that is full auto, it was sent back to fn and was returned to the shop I worked at to be destroyed. This was the second scar I personally seen. You can see the small hair line crack. It happen. But does stop me from owning 3 myself. Bumper Vehicle Vehicle door Automotive exterior Car

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.