FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the 17s out to the range today to sight in the new Trijicon VCOG with a Timney Trigger and was VERY impressed with how tight the groups were with 168gr sierra match king, Although I switched ammo after I got her zeroed in at 100 yards and went with federal 149gr and my groups were not even close compared to the 168gr, I had a few 3 round shots with two out of the three touching with the other within a 1/2" of the two touching. I was soooo happy with the 168gr but one I switch over to the 149gr my groups were 2"apart. Im new to the forum and new to owning a Scar17. Anybody else have ammo issues? BTW the VCOG and the Timney were really everthing I was expecting and then some. I also have a LMT MWS 308 and it doesnt matter what ammo I use with it, Both the 149gr and 168gr are Very simular out to 100 yards. Im gonna try and post some pics soon. thanks for the help in advance:bullets:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The VCOG is the real deal. I had a NF 2.5x10-24 and sold it and couldnt be happier, the ONLY downfall is the weight. But the Horseshoe reticle is unreal and the glass is even better, The eye relief was just as good as the elcan. VERY pleased with it!

·
Registered
321 Posts
168 Sierra Matchking and 168 Amax are top performers in the 17. The barrel twist is 1 in 12, optimum for that weight. The MWS is 1 in 10. It will shoot any weight available. I had one of the first MWS 308s delivered. Sold it after I shot the 17. I could not get the MWS to shoot better than the Scar... and the Scar weighed 2 pounds less and easier to clean by a mile.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
168 Sierra Matchking and 168 Amax are top performers in the 17. The barrel twist is 1 in 12, optimum for that weight. The MWS is 1 in 10. It will shoot any weight available. I had one of the first MWS 308s delivered. Sold it after I shot the 17. I could not get the MWS to shoot better than the Scar... and the Scar weighed 2 pounds less and easier to clean by a mile.
Right On, I guess I will have to save up my pennies for the 168gr. Thanks ALOT for the help. It was a rollercoaster today, LOL. very happy with the 168 and then the downer with the 149gr. Although my LMT with the 18SS barrel with the Titan Comp shooting the 149gr is pretty dang good. Im gonna buy some more match king ammo. Thanks once again!!

·
Registered
609 Posts
the scar17 will shoot 147-150 grn bullets very well IF the bullet is good quality. the problem with a lot of cheap ammo in 147-150 is poor design. try some hornady 150's or sierra 150's you will get much better results.

·
Registered
321 Posts
^ This is correct. There are many factors in addition, to include the amount of bearing surface that contacts the barrel (flat base tend to stabilize faster than boat tails at close range), power charge variances shot to shot (have seen half a grain in some M80 class ammo) and neck tension differences. The good news is that you now have a rifle that becomes a laser beam with 168 gold medal match ammo. There is a TON of load data out there to duplicate it with a myriad of powders. And you may want to try Hornady Amax match ammo in the same 168 grain weight. The Sierra and Amax loads are very tight in every Scar I have shot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts