FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

‘’I bought a Scar 17s about 3 weeks ago. Have 200 rounds through it. I want to keep my build simple but have a few questions. I’m going to put a Geissele super scar trigger in it, bipod, sling, & an optic.
1. Trigger self explanator.
2. what is a quick release bipod I can use but take off when not shooting long range?
3. Sling- just want a basic quality sling that’s easy to use and disconnect when not needed.
4. Optic - I was in the USMC from 95-03.. we shot iron sights and didn’t have any of the fancy stuff guys get now. I’m thinking a Trijicon Acog or Eotech red dot with a magnifier. What is the better way to go for 500-600 yards Once in awhile? Most ranges by me are 100 to 300 yards if I’m lucky. I’m not sure about reticle and all of that but I did see some have bullet drop for 308 and I’d like to have that.

thank you in advance for the advice. Money isn’t an option. If I find something better suggested I’ll just save up and continue to shoot iron sights.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
I'd check out Shooting Site triggers before plunking down cash for the Geissele, I have both and personally prefer the Shooting site. Atlas makes a nice bipod that is quick release but they are a bit pricey.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I'd check out Shooting Site triggers before plunking down cash for the Geissele, I have both and personally prefer the Shooting site. Atlas makes a nice bipod that is quick release but they are a bit pricey.
I agree on the Shooting Sight trigger and the Atlas bipod. Probably do your research on optics that the SCAR won't destroy because of the "harmonics". I use a ELCAN SpecterDR 1.5X/6X. Here's a link: ELCAN SpecterDR 1.5x/6x

Reactions: Neohiofan

·
Registered
108 Posts
For optics, I recommend either kahles K16i or vortex razor hd iii 1-10x24. I have both, one for my 16s sbr and the other for my 17s sbr. They are fantastic.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Grip Pod + Elcan 1/4 ...

I personally use a Grip Pod with an Elcan 1/3/9 on a 20S...great do-it-all combo...

Sling wise...Vickers Sling padded...with u-loops

·
Registered
640 Posts
Grip Pod + Elcan 1/4 ...

I personally use a Grip Pod with an Elcan 1/3/9 on a 20S...great do-it-all combo...

Sling wise...Vickers Sling padded...with u-loops
Plus, with humping a 20S around, you get your upper body workout taken care of too!!!

Reactions: Neohiofan

·
Registered
418 Posts
Plus, with humping a 20S around, you get your upper body workout taken care of too!!!
Not that bad. I’ve shaved a good bit of weight off my 20S by going with a OEM Fixed MK17 stock over the SSR...yes it is heavier but totally not unbearable.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have multiple QD Harris and Atlas bipods. The Atlas bipod is well built and quality product. However I like my Harris with an ADM pic adapter (got rid of the sling stud adapter) for fast deployment. I have attached both legs together with paracord and with a simple yank of one of the legs can deploy the bipod. The Harris is also cheaper. So for stationary use I like Atlas. In the field, I use Harris.

I have Art’s trigger and it’s nice. However I mostly have Geissele on my SCARs for parts consistency of the lowers (and two of my SCARs came with them). I don’t think you can go wrong either way.

Slings are pretty personal choices and really not that differentiated.

As for scopes - I have an EoTech Vudu 5-25x on my 20S, EoTech XPS2-0 + G33 on my 17S-SBR, and ELCAN 1.5-6x on my 17S. I’m pretty happy with the Vudu and ELCAN. I’m playing around with a PA SLx 5x prism scope + offset red dot on my SBR as the XPS+G33 is hefty for a SBR. I’ve run a T2 but I need magnification these days.

Don’t forget to get a light. My 17S’s have Modlite PLHV2 18650s installed. I was using Modlite OKW heads but wanted more spill. I like Modlite on 308 rifles for better candela to PID at distance. I have Surefire Scouts on my 5.56 rifles for wider spill.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hello,

‘’I bought a Scar 17s about 3 weeks ago. Have 200 rounds through it. I want to keep my build simple but have a few questions. I’m going to put a Geissele super scar trigger in it, bipod, sling, & an optic.
1. Trigger self explanator.
2. what is a quick release bipod I can use but take off when not shooting long range?
3. Sling- just want a basic quality sling that’s easy to use and disconnect when not needed.
4. Optic - I was in the USMC from 95-03.. we shot iron sights and didn’t have any of the fancy stuff guys get now. I’m thinking a Trijicon Acog or Eotech red dot with a magnifier. What is the better way to go for 500-600 yards Once in awhile? Most ranges by me are 100 to 300 yards if I’m lucky. I’m not sure about reticle and all of that but I did see some have bullet drop for 308 and I’d like to have that. View attachment 138676

thank you in advance for the advice. Money isn’t an option. If I find something better suggested I’ll just save up and continue to shoot iron sights.
I put a Trijicon TA 11H, Super SCAR trigger, Magpul’s padded sling. Add a TangoDown foregrip, Magpul bipod, and a tactical light of your choice.
That makes a great multi purpose, multi mission battle rifle.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Geissele super scar triggers are fantastic. I work with a retired LEO who teaches ballistics to snipers and works for a major ammo manufacturer....he steered me to how to best equip my Scar 16, and then my SCAR 17s.
After Geissele trigger, we put on a Harris bi-pod. Best for in the field and get a little higher one for use in any terrain. I use a 2-point sling. Pick one you like. No bungees. Magpul makes a decent one you can control with 1-hand. I use a STRONG Streamlight on it, just a toggle I can reach with my left thumb while holding weapon....but it's bright enough to light up the night. I have a Nightforce on mine as I've shot out to 650 yards easily with mine and love it. Once you dial it in, you can do holdovers or figure out the drop....it's probably good out to 800, but I need a spotter for that distance to work on it....haven't made it a priority as that's not what I bought it for. I would us a simple ACOG for 100-300 yard work. You can readily hit to 500 with ACOG once you learn the ballistics a bit.
Good luck and ENJOY!! Thanks for your service and sacrifice for our Country too.
CJ in AZ

1 - 10 of 10 Posts