FN Herstal Firearms banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts
Very nice setup! I have a similar case that I need to cut the foam on for my SCAR 16 and 17. I am contemplating the same scope for my 17 eventually but for now I'm trying it with the ACOG TA 11G with horseshoe reticle and .308 BDC.

Great case! Can you tell me the weight on the Pelican case empty? I use the soft shell now but like the protection on the hard shell. Some of the ranges I go to are a good mile walk and I bring multiple weapons so was wondering the weight.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
Awesome looking setup. How do you like the nf 2.5 - 10? What reticule did you choose?
Apologies for the delay, I've been traveling a lot. I love the 2.5-10x42! I'm using the mil-r retical, I've always shot using mil scopes, so it's what I prefer. I was worried about push-button illumination, but the button is large enough I can mash it even wearing gloves when it's cold outside, so it works for me. I haven't been out shooting in adverse conditions since I've gotten this scope, so no reports on how it handles sand/mud/water/etc, but based on handling it so far, I suspect it will do just fine. Definitely a GREAT fit for this rifle, I've shot out to 800m now and the scope is perfect. You won't be printing tiny groups at 800m+, but it's plenty of magnification to hit steel to 1000 and beyond (assuming you can).

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Very nice setup! I have a similar case that I need to cut the foam on for my SCAR 16 and 17. I am contemplating the same scope for my 17 eventually but for now I'm trying it with the ACOG TA 11G with horseshoe reticle and .308 BDC.
I was using a TA11E on my SCAR (308 BDC) and:

1) It didn't have enough magnification for the ranges the SCAR 17 is capable of shooting at. I expected to never shoot more than 400-500m, but I'm easily able to shoot 800m with this rifle and reloads.
2) I have found BDCs are not for me. I'm sure they are great with ammunition that perfectly matches the BDC for people who don't want to do math in their head, but mil ranging/estimation and calculation for windage/drop is second nature to me, so the BDC was wasted. Additionally, my reloads did not match the BDC, and the calculated BDC numbers were all odd. My latest recipe is with 185gr Bergers (haven't gotten out to shoot them yet, need to confirm stability before spending much time on them since I shoot suppressed) and the BDC will be significantly off using this load.

That said, I don't dislike the ACOG, it just isn't a good fit for me.

Discussion starter · #28 · (Edited)
That is one great looking set up! Who did the cut outs? Very professional looking job.
A few were done by a professional foam shop, and then I got them to give me their secret on cutting foam, at which point I did the rest myself (and many such cases since). TL;DR, jigsaw + long jigsaw blade with the teeth ground off then sharpened. The teeth tear foam. I'd cut a few cases prior with an electric carving knife which were ok, but the jigsaw + modified blade were amazing. The trick beyond the blade is cutting in one continuous cut per straight. If you stop, you will never have a smooth cut, so plan your cuts well. The best method is actually to get a piece of wood, and arrange a band-saw blade cut/bent in the shape of the cutout you want on the foam, then put the foam + wood w/ blade in a press, and compress it. Perfect cutout if you go that route, but unless you have access to a heavy/large press, not a home project.

Also, for cutting sharp turns, plunge a knife in the foam for the starting point of the jigsaw blade. It makes a big difference vs. trying to just turn the tool and keep cutting. The real key is making a good template prior to cutting that is slightly under the actual dimensions of the cutout (manila folders taped together works wonders). Chalk is also useful on the foam itself if you want to avoid cutting a template first. Make sure to keep your cuts straight (this is where a jigsaw comes in handy). Finally, get some good quality foam, the foam that comes with a Pelican is OK, but you'll want something more dense (and ideally closed-cell) if you're storing your firearm in the case, and not just using it for transport.

Discussion starter · #30 ·
What... no light, laser, or atlas bi-pod?
Na, I'm using those on my super extreme mega overload tactical ninja 9001 edition AR. All kidding aside, the Atlas bi-pod is the only additional thing I've debated picking up. Decided to hold off for a while - I'm shooting off bags on the bench for now. I shoot a lot off-hand, but I could definitely see a bi-pod being useful when not doing so. The big downside being more weight - not sure if the bi-pod would be worth the trade-off.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.