FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New glass on my 13" 17S. Nightforce 1-4x24 in a Larue SPR mount. I'm trying to find some input on best zero i.e. what will keep me the closest at distances from 50-250ish before I need to dial up some elevation. I've been plugging in some data (no idea how accurate) in the ballistics calculator, and it seems like a 50m zero is better than 100m. Somebody who knows more than I do (which isnt saying much) please chime in.

edit: will be shooting inexpensive M80 ball most of the time (ZQI and Federal 7.62), so will be setting it with that in mind, although some 168 bthp will make an appearance from time to time.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
I wouldn't think it would be much different than the 16" barrel. That is to say if zeroed at 200 yards it should be dead on at 50. At 100 it will be 1.5 inches high. Real close it will be a little low.

edited to add: I once knew someone who thought they could zero at 50 yards and hit the same point of aim at 200 yards. This is not usually the case unless you are lucky as hell. Its the other way around. Not that I think anyone here would make that mistake but I just wanted to throw that out there.

Reactions: BigBuckeyeGuy

·
Registered
354 Posts
I agree with the above. I zero my rifles that I don't want to fool with the elevation turrets or scopes that have capped turrets 1.5" high at 100 yards. Depending on initial velocity it will put you zeroed somewhere between 200 and 225 yards.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
It also depends on how high you mount the scope too.

I'd suggest zero the gun at 25-yds and then shoot at targets at further ranges to see the differences in rises and falls. Just remember that when you change loads, so will change your zero.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My biggest concern was the exaggerated height over bore. I seem to remember the irons on the g3 rifles being 25/200. I took the above advice and sighted 1.5-2 inches high at 100. Seems to put me real close at 50 and 200.

Now to figure out this suppressor POI shift. With the SDN-6 it prints about 8" HIGHER. Quite an annoyance with the zero stop set.

·
Registered
418 Posts
POI shift happens with all suppressors and some makes/models have fewer shifts than others.

AAC cans are notorious for a distinct POI shift, the good news is the POI shift is usually repeatable every time so consistency is a plus.

Believe this shift is one of the issues why NSW switched to Surefire suppressors.

·
Registered
609 Posts
POI shift happens with all suppressors and some makes/models have fewer shifts than others.

AAC cans are notorious for a distinct POI shift, the good news is the POI shift is usually repeatable every time so consistency is a plus.

Believe this shift is one of the issues why NSW switched to Surefire suppressors.
that is why i went a little extra for a surefire. well one reason. second was their superb selection of muzzle devices to attacth the can. the poi shift is very minimal and repeatable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts