FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All:

I am looking to put a better flash hider on the front end of my SCAR...any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
All:

I am looking to put a better flash hider on the front end of my SCAR...any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance.
Surefire, and the FN ECP flash hiders are excellent choices. I'm sure there are others that are comparable.

One thing to note: MK17 Mod0 weapons are fitted with the FN ECP and it's very effective on full auto as well.

-SS

·
Registered
602 Posts
Keep the pws unless your mounting a silencer on it
Silencer? Do you mean a suppressor?

:th_shrug:

Although you do make a good point, or if you want to have a more traditional military style look as well.

·
Registered
418 Posts
If you want better flash suppression for NVG's/night ops an offering from AAC might be in order.

You may consider the Battlecomp BABC for fast, repeated, follow-up shots, however it's still loud like the OEM PWS which comes stock on the rifle.

·
Premium Member
9,723 Posts
Smith vortex is the best made!
I'm a big fan of the Smith Vortex. I have one on my 16, and have one squirreled away for my upcoming 17.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Suppressor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From the section under "naming"

"While suppressors are referred to as "silencers", the latter is misleading because no firearm can be made completely silent, as the term "silencer" implies. Functionally, a suppressor is meant to diminish the report of a discharged round, or make its sound unrecognizable. Other sounds emanating from the weapon remain unchanged. Even subsonic bullets make distinct sounds by their passage through the air and striking targets, and supersonic bullets produce a small sonic boom, resulting in a "ballistic crack". Semi- and fully automatic firearms also make distinct noises as their actions cycle, ejecting the fired cartridge case and loading a new round. Despite being misleading, the term "silencer" is still widespread."

·
Registered
127 Posts
suppressor - wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

from the section under "naming"

"while suppressors are referred to as "silencers", the latter is misleading because no firearm can be made completely silent, as the term "silencer" implies. Functionally, a suppressor is meant to diminish the report of a discharged round, or make its sound unrecognizable. Other sounds emanating from the weapon remain unchanged. Even subsonic bullets make distinct sounds by their passage through the air and striking targets, and supersonic bullets produce a small sonic boom, resulting in a "ballistic crack". Semi- and fully automatic firearms also make distinct noises as their actions cycle, ejecting the fired cartridge case and loading a new round. Despite being misleading, the term "silencer" is still widespread."
lol !!! Oookkkk

·
Registered
189 Posts
All:

Are you actually looking for a flash hider? Or are you looking for another muzzle treatment to change the way the SCAR feels/acts when you shoot it?

If you are looking for overall signature reduction, a suppressor is the best way to go....hands down.

If you are looking for pure flash reduction due to shooting at night with NVGs then I would look into any number of actual flash hiders from SureFire or AAC.

If you are looking to flatten out the gun and reduce recoil...the the SJC Titan compensator/muzzle brake is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I've got the Yankee Hills QD. Soley switched to it to dampen the noise. Thinkin bout a battle comp. I definitely feel the recoil on my 17 now. I'm worried battle comp may be too loud too. I use hear pro, but like to keep my rifle set up to be shootable without. I'm hoping to run into someone who has one and get to shoot it first, but that's just an illusive dream I think. I hate to spend the money and do the switch and decide to switch back. Decisions decisions ?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I've got the Yankee Hills QD. Soley switched to it to dampen the noise. Thinkin bout a battle comp. I definitely feel the recoil on my 17 now. I'm worried battle comp may be too loud too. I use hear pro, but like to keep my rifle set up to be shootable without. I'm hoping to run into someone who has one and get to shoot it first, but that's just an illusive dream I think. I hate to spend the money and do the switch and decide to switch back. Decisions decisions ?
Shootable without ear pro means a suppressor.

No other way around that. A 7.62/308 is LOUD.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Shootable without ear pro means a suppressor.

No other way around that. A 7.62/308 is LOUD.
Even with the best suppressors, supersonic .308/7.62 NATO rifles are not hearing safe. They're much less damaging, but still damaging. I've seen .308 measured @ 165db from a 18" barrel. My AAC 762-SDN-6, for example, is rated at 25dB of reduction for 7.62 NATO. That puts it at 140dB, which is the level at which OSHA says impulse noise is damaging. Even if you're slightly below it, you're still doing damage. I believe the military goes with <140dB == safe, but I highly suggest avoiding any impulse noise even at 130dB.

TL;DR, wear hearing protection unless shooting subsonic with a suppressor, or risk hearing loss with each shot.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Cutting the gas bubble is the only flash suppression theory that actually works other than suppressors. The AAC Blackout, SEI Vortex, FN ECP and SOG 4 Prong slash hiders all work about the same. I started of with the SEI Vortex in the early 90s and have stuck with them faithfully but I am seriously looking at the others I listed for my SCAR-H at this point(especially the ECP if available).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Has anyone tried the Kaw valley linear comp yet? I'm patiently waiting for them to come back in stock at Joe Bobs.

·
Registered
835 Posts
My Griffin Armamanet Universal Taper FH/MB is ont its way. Will test it on my LMT MWS first before I venture to my SCARs.​

1 - 20 of 20 Posts