FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been to the range three times using iron sights, and the second photo shows a typical grouping at 75 yds (zeroed at 25/300). I'm only a recreational rookie, so don't beat me up too bad.

I'll post some more pics as soon as I try out the scope.

Specs:
BCM Mod-3 Grip
Magpul AFG-2
Harris S-BRM Bipod
Harris RotaPod RBA-1
Leupold VX-6 2-12x42mm CDS-ZL
NightForce Ultralite 30mm Titanium / Alloy Ring Set

Factory Ammo: PMC Bronze .308 147gr

---------------------
4/11/2015 Update
---------------------
Photos were taken with an iPhone 5, so... yeah.

Scope Reticle @ 100 yds

10-shot Group @ 100 yds

Bullet: 165 gr Hornady SST
Powder: Hodgdon Varget
Powder Charge: 41.7 +/- 0.3 gr (RCBS Uniflow Powder Measure)
Primer: CCI #200
C.O.L.: 2.763" (Hornady manual says 2.750")
Brass: Mixed (PMC, RP, & Hornady Match)
Brass Trim Length: 2.003"

·
Registered
289 Posts
What ammo are you using? That's a fine lookin' rifle there buddy.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Very nicely done! How do you like the vx-6 with the wind-plex reticle? Also, are the elevation and windage turrets in 1/4 moa or 1cm? Thanks!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Nice rig my friend. If you're shooting those groups offhand and you're a part time shooters, you're doing fine. If you are shooting from a bench try some 168g Hornady rounds. My 17S likes the heavier bullet and will shoot holes in holes off the bench. Though I do have the more acurate FDE version.
SCAR Jan 2015 1.JPG

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Nice!!!

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
That's a nice piece of glass! Any chance of a pic through the scope?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's a nice piece of glass! Any chance of a pic through the scope?
Sure! I'll take one next time I go to the range.

Are the crosshairs and wind hold overs easy to pickup during dusk and dawn? Also, does the FireDot illumination make getting on target fast for those close encounters? Thanks!
The public range opens after dawn and closes before dusk, but I'll let you know as soon as I can get out to some private property.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
New photos added to original post. I think this is definitely an MOA rifle in the hands of the right shooter.

I need to check the top turret on the scope. It seemed to run out of travel at the range as I was moving the POI up. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, I figured it out. Once the turret is zeroed, the Zero Lock mechanism only allows ~95% of a rotation in the counter-clockwise (i.e. Up) direction. There is a shoulder that prevents the turret from rotating past zero again (which I traced in red in the photo below).

In other words, you cannot shift the POI down after zeroing the turret, and you cannot shift the POI up by more than 18 MOA after zeroing the turret.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts