FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Ok so here’s the story

1. Came to range with a friend, he had a brand new Scar 17S that he didn’t bother cleaning from the factory.
2. He shot a few rounds, everything appeared to go smoothly. I was shooting an AR-15 on the aisle next to him.
3. I go over to test the Scar 17S. First round, reciprocating charging handle hits my thumb (doh!), actually didn’t hurt at all which was surprising.
4. Next two rounds I believe fire normally (there may have been one FTF but I can’t remember).
5. Here’s where it got crazy, I pull the trigger and 3 rounds come out. Brrrattttttt in full auto.

I put the gun down, tell him we need to clean the gun right now before we keep shooting it. Then when I go to disassemble it I realize the trigger pin had popped open (wtf??).

Any ideas on what happened?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
:oops:

anyway, the thing is typically coated with some sort of protective grease and should be broken down, cleaned, lubed and reassembled. no comment on trigger pin, unless it was not in tight from the factory.

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
My guess (and it is only a guess) is that the locking plate was either not installed correctly or defective. Being a brand new gun, I'd contact FN and have them fix it.

OR...

You can try rebuilding the trigger. Do a search on the Geissele trigger install. That will walk you through where everything goes. Make sure the trigger pin is secure afterwards, and before firing.

Oh, and clean/lube it also.

·
Administrator
12,081 Posts
There was a thread not to long ago about the trigger pin walking out on a new rifle as well. The retaining plate had to be replaced as it would not engage the pin correctly and hold it securely.

Make sure the retaining plate is not damaged and securely engages the pin slot to prevent the pin from walking.

As for the 3 round burst, need to get that fixed ASAP. The trigger and/or hammer mechanism may have been damaged. Can not make an accurate diagnosis without the firearm in hand and a picture is worth a thousand words.

FN has a lifetime warranty on their unaltered firearms. You can contact customer service for warranty service but I would try to diagnose and repair if possible before sending it in.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This was loose. Maybe he just needs to disassemble and reassemble the whole trigger assembly? Or should he just send it in to FN.

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
That's a mess. Is the sear spring still in there? It's a small spring.

·
Administrator
12,081 Posts
A loose disconnector would definitely account for the 3 round burst. I would disassemble the fire control group, examine it for any visible cracks, breaks, or marrings, if none are found reassemble and test fire again.

I think this should resolve your problems. If not, you can send it in for warranty repair.

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
Honestly, I'd contact FN and have them fix it. Sure, you can get a new sear spring and DIY, but that's only if everything else checks out. Might as well take advantage of the warranty.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Somewhat apples and oranges, but had a SCAR 16, did unplanned 2-3 round bursts. Took it home cleaned and re-lubed and back to the range, same-same. Contacted FN, got a shipping label and returned it to the mothership. Got it back about 3 weeks later as a semi-auto.

Sold it soon there after, as it really didn't do anything I couldn't do with a Colt 6920. Made $$ on the deal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts