FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there has been a bunch of these threads, and I have read them, but I too am trying to figure out what optic to put on my Scar 17s.

I haven't ever bought a decent quality scope before (just some plinker scopes for .22LR), so I'm a little lost on what really matters. I typically go to a range that is 100 yds, and just use a red dot with a magnifier on my other guns, so all of this is new to me. I have access to ranges that go out much further, and will likely take the Scar out there.

Budget: ~$1000
Avg Shooting distance: 100 - 400yds
Purpose: Shooting paper and metal targets

These two seem like good candidates based on features. Are either of these obviously better for my needs? Are there other scopes I should look at?

Leupold VX-6 2x12
Leupold Optics VX-6 2-12x42mm CDS Illuminated Reticle (includes metric) - | Leupold Optics

Vortex Viper PST 4x16 FFP or 2.5x10 FFP
Vortex Optics - Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP EBR-1<br />(MOA)

I have read a million threads and reviews and still cant decide. Just trying to avoid spending a grand foolishly. Any advice on what to look for will be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
983 Posts
I think the Leupold reticles offered on the VX-6 are hunting reticles, which makes them basically useless for calling corrections, etc. if you're spotting for a buddy, or for measuring anything at distance.

That being said, 4-16x50 is a LOT of scope for 400yds.

Of the ones you listed, I'd personally choose the Viper PST 2.5-10x32 FFP w/ EBR-1 MRAD at the 2nd link. (I prefer metric). 10x will give you suitable magnification within the SCAR's range.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts